Drones That Hunt Down And Hack Other Drones

Looks like Amazon needs to look no further than their next security expert.

Sadly, while this guy is basically pointing out the exploit without malicious intent, it only goes to prove the "This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things" AKA "If You Build It, [Expletive Choice]s will Ruin It" Law.

TL/DR: scans for MAC in block, applies aircrack against it, uses another library to connect and another to manipulate the drone. I can boot my laptop off a thumb drive and do the same thing.

Now, if his solution got the other drone and got it to follow/swarm with his...then I'd be impressed.

I was waiting for his drone armed with missiles to shoot down another drone, not codes scrolling on a screen

Seems it works by exploiting a loophole in Wifi. But typical multirotors don't use such a thing.

There are already working interfaces for programming drones via bluetooth, cable, or telemetry, and they don't use this, mainly because of how unreliable Wifi and its protocols are.

just another excuse to add to the list:

VL9FP6p.jpg

How come no one mentioned that this "hack" can only be used on ParrotAR drones which are relatively cheap consumer toys.

Real quadcopters don't use 802.11b/g/n WiFi so how is this useful or "sticking it to Amazon"? Must be a slow news day.

Hmmm. Ok, so let's assume Amazon put GPS into their hypothetical drones. Then just hijack the GPS signal. Heck, you could build a plane that'll give you longer loiter times, and have it fly circles around the delivery drone.

Back