Corsair Debuting CHERRY MX RGB Based Mechanical Gaming Keyboards In 2014

HardOCP News

[H] News
With its “MX RGB switch,” CHERRY is presenting the next evolutionary stage of its billion-fold proven mechanical keyswitches of the “MX” series. The MX switches with Gold Crosspoint technology have up to this point been appreciated by millions of users due to high precision, the best possible operating feel, and an extremely long service life. Well-known manufacturers of high-quality mechanical keyboards – especially in gaming – use the Cherry MX switches in different variants. Cherry has now enhanced its leading product with RGB technology. Directly mounted on the circuit board, SMD LEDs (SMD = “Surface Mount Devices”) illuminate key symbols in specially designed keycaps using the MX RGB switch in the entire RGB color spectrum – all 16.7 million RGB colors.

Innovation and quality driven PC gaming brand Corsair will be bring the world’s first Cherry MX RGB based gaming keyboards to market in an exclusive launch in 2014. Cherry and Corsair will first debut the Cherry MX RGB on Corsair keyboards at Corsair’s press suite at CES 2014 in January.

Full n-key roll over is cherry's innovation lol sorta like dyson reinvented electric motor to make a brush-less motor... I get so sick of promotions...

Is this feature supposed to appear towards people who rage on their keyboard after dying?

I'd rather put my money towards a brand that does as close to nothing but keyboards as possible.

Corsair is a good one size fits all company, but there companies out there selling a better product at the same price if not just over the cost of a Corsair keyboard.

If it's anything like corsair's existing keyboards, I'm sold.

This

My friend's black K70 really puts my K60 to shame. I miss having a backlight. Full RGB backlight is just icing on the cake.

Full range RGB lighting is an impressive features. Maybe the next innovation will be a full color LCD, which means I'd fully switchover from the Logitech G19.

I really wish that corsair woukd build a nostromo type device for gaming.

I want the top row to rotate colors through the spectrum over time. Because Christmas.

i'll be upgrading to a mechanical next time i buy a keyboard.

my wife however, will have a problem gaming if she switches keyboard, oh about 7 years ago, i bought her an -at the time- ideazon(now steelseries) merc keyboard- you know the keyboard that has the "hand pad" on the left side that duplicates buttons 1through = wasd qr and has several other buttons there?

well she uses it always and would have to completely relearn how to game if she switches keyboards- she is on her second merc keyboard now and the keys are -imo- flimsy especially the space bar. unfortunately noone makes a keyboard like that, the good news is if it ever breaks and we have to switch to a normal keyboard, i have the older ideazon fang-barely used- that i'd modify the case to adapt for her to use.

my wife however, will have a problem gaming if she switches keyboard, oh about 7 years ago, i bought her an -at the time- ideazon(now steelseries) merc keyboard- you know the keyboard that has the "hand pad" on the left side that duplicates buttons 1through = wasd qr and has several other buttons there?

well she uses it always and would have to completely relearn how to game if she switches keyboards- she is on her second merc keyboard now and the keys are -imo- flimsy especially the space bar. unfortunately noone makes a keyboard like that, the good news is if it ever breaks and we have to switch to a normal keyboard, i have the older ideazon fang-barely used- that i'd modify the case to adapt for her to use.

You could always make your own keyboard, its very easy, just get some Cherry switches and download a design or make your own.

Wonder if they'll improve the LED life. TONs of LED failures on their current keyboards.

...in the entire RGB color spectrum – all 16.7 million RGB colors.

It has the colors. All of them. I lol'd.

I guess the people who react positively to this ridiculous marketing are the same dimwits who still need to stare at a keyboard that's had a similar layout for over 2 decades now.

I think that guy taught history in my high school. I remember falling asleep. Often :)

Full n-key roll over is cherry's innovation lol sorta like dyson reinvented electric motor to make a brush-less motor... I get so sick of promotions...

Says the guy named Semantics :)

I have one of these Merc's. I bought it for my dailiy keyboard and to use for occasional gaming.

LOL I used it for about 2 days and tossed it in the closet.

It's not that there's anything really wrong with it, but this thing is the worst general-use keyboard I've ever laid my hands on. Nothing is in the right place or spaced correctly. It is a freak of nature.

I can absolutely see where if someone got used to it, they could never switch back. You'd probably nail yourself in the nuts every time you went for the left shift key.

I guess the people who react positively to this ridiculous marketing are the same dimwits who still need to stare at a keyboard that's had a similar layout for over 2 decades now.

Or those that play games using more than the 6-12 buttons surrounding W, A,S, and D.

Some people are into customization. That can be said for lots of things, much less PC's. Also, some folks still hunt down letters. Not everyone is an able typist. There are many reasons why someone might want a keyboard customized like that, but I don't think any of them necessarily makes them a dimwit. Also, if there is a market for it, you have to know it will be exploited by some company.

But which Cherry switches are they using with these new RGB LED's?

Blues? Red's? Blacks?

I'm always tempted to try out something Cherry switch based, but then I remember how much I love my IBM style buckling spring switches, and forget about it :p

Only thing I hate is the way Corsair did the enter key area. I don't rike.

"But yea", from that video the other week :p

The guy above me has a good point. Is it an entirely new switch as well? (A combination between brown and red or?) I really wish there was a way to test hands on all the switch types. Most stores only have a couple of mechanical keyboards, at least here in Canada. So I really don't get a full feel/picture/audio on what the differences are. Descriptions and videos really don't do justice.

"But yea", from that video the other week :p

The guy above me has a good point. Is it an entirely new switch as well? (A combination between brown and red or?) I really wish there was a way to test hands on all the switch types. Most stores only have a couple of mechanical keyboards, at least here in Canada. So I really don't get a full feel/picture/audio on what the differences are. Descriptions and videos really don't do justice.

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-...=1386185323&sr=8-1&keywords=mx+switch+sampler

TekSyndicate has a pretty good video breaking down the difference between all the switches.

https://teksyndicate.com/videos/mec...erry-mx-red-brown-blue-green-buckling-springs

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Someone really needs to make a split, contoured keyboard similar to the MS Natural, except with mechanical switches. I like mechanical switches, but I can't do keyboards with straight across designs. They make my hands and wrists hurt.

Well now your back is going to hurt because you just pulled landscaping duty.

Only available in MX Red switches? No brown switches? :(
Corsair has a strange fascination with reds. It's like marketing made the decision.

Gamers ONLY use reds... right? That's pretty much so what I told them a year or so back before they started to do blues.

It's also much cheaper buying one color in a lot vs smaller quantities. Not to mention manufacturing is cheaper too.

I miss my original IBM PC-AT keyboard. Is this going to feel anything like that good?

MX Switches are much better than typical rubber dome keyboars these days, but IMHO, they don't come even close to a traditional IBM buckling spring design, at least for typing.

Buckling spring keyboards are the gold standard for people who type a lot. No debate there at all.

There are some who would argue that MX switch based keyboards are better for games though, and they could be right, seeing that the old buckling spring designs lack NKRO, and are a little slow on the rebound sometimes.

I've done most of my gaming from the early Counter-Strike days until now, on varying IBM Model M keyboards though, and I was quite good for a long time, and never felt my keyboard was holding me back, so I really think it is a matter of preference.

If you really like the old IBM feel though, IBM spun that keyboard division off to Lexmark, who later sold it to a small company named Unicomp. They still sell buckling spring keyboards, updated with Windows keys and USB. They aren't as flashy as the latest gamer keyboards, and no longer as heavy as the old IBM keyboards, so not as good to fight off intruders with, but they are still some of the best keyboards on the market to type on.

I have three of them and love them. I started buying them from Unicomp when I started wearing the lettering off my super rare black IBM Model M13 Trackpoint II. The last time that happend, I just ordered replacement keycaps, but this time, I got the last set of keycaps in the world (they stopped making them) so I decided to - after I replaced them - to clean it up, and keep it in museum condition and not wear them down again :p

My old grey Model M's were just starting to look to ugly next to my newer computer perihperals, so I wanted something else. The Unicomps - while without flashy LED's where black and dark grey and fit the bill well. I highly recommend them.

Corsair has a strange fascination with reds. It's like marketing made the decision.

Gamers ONLY use reds... right? That's pretty much so what I told them a year or so back before they started to do blues.

It's also much cheaper buying one color in a lot vs smaller quantities. Not to mention manufacturing is cheaper too.

If I were to buy an MX switch keyboard, it would have to be blues. Not interested in reds. They aren't tactile enough and have too low resistance for my tastes, but I'm used to IBM buckling springs, so I may be a little unusual.

We all realize there actually isn't any LED in the switch right? They just made the housing clear so you can put an RGB LED under it.

I repeat, there is nothing innovative here. It's simply a clear cherry housing so it can be lit by whatever LED they want to put under it.

Thanks Zara!!! Wow that M13 looks sweet. If there were only "key condoms" you could use to protect the lettering from wearing off. :eek::cool:

I'll check Unicomp out. I'd been considering trying to make my model M wireless too. :p

Full range RGB lighting is an impressive features. Maybe the next innovation will be a full color LCD, which means I'd fully switchover from the Logitech G19.

this.

i have my storm trigger here at work and i love the way it feels (it's also the only mechanical i've found that has a comfortable key spacing for me).

that said i still use my g19 at home, and i have my backup original g15 behind that. I actually still use the screen.

not sure why logitech dropped the ball, they made a g series mechanical...yet no screen, they could have locked that up and got a lot of old g15 people back.

this.

i have my storm trigger here at work and i love the way it feels (it's also the only mechanical i've found that has a comfortable key spacing for me).

that said i still use my g19 at home, and i have my backup original g15 behind that. I actually still use the screen.

not sure why logitech dropped the ball, they made a g series mechanical...yet no screen, they could have locked that up and got a lot of old g15 people back.

logitech has been doing lots of weird stuff.

Admittedly I was misled when I read the thread title, I actually thought Cherry designed some new type of switch, so I was kind of excited. However the actual news doesn't really impress me that much, I like my keyboards simple and don't really find LED's to be that important.

That said, my Choc Mini (MX Blue Switches) has lasted me nearly three years and I couldn't be happier. Easily the best keyboard I have ever owned.

WASD has always, and will always be an archaic, unergonomic clusterfuck. This is a clutch that is simply the less awkward thing that could be managed, No matter the type of fruit switches a keyboard has, it is a decade past time for us to move away to real PC gaming devices.

Zarathustra[H];1040437397 said:
But which Cherry switches are they using with these new RGB LED's?

Blues? Red's? Blacks?

I'm always tempted to try out something Cherry switch based, but then I remember how much I love my IBM style buckling spring switches, and forget about it :p

I am not sure any keyboard will ever match the layout/design of ibm or keytronics of yesteryear. Cherry switches are reasonable, but I really wish they would make out with an ibm or keytronics curve to it.

I miss my original IBM PC-AT keyboard. Is this going to feel anything like that good?

If you are a heavy typist it is always going to be difficult to find a replacement for IBM or keytronic keyboards. They both placed keys on a curved surface which makes it easier to reach keys not on the home row.

Switching away from this design tends to cause mishits and increased fatigue.

The cherry switch itself is a reasonable design, once you find the color you prefer. The placement of the keys is the main issue making it difficult to switch.

Back