Woman Buys 'New' iPad Full of Photos and Contacts

HardOCP News

[H] News
Good thing this lady is honest (and a cop) or this could have been a different story altogether.

She brought it home, turned it on, and to her surprise found hundreds of pictures, contacts, and apps already uploaded to the tablet. The iPad wasn't new. It was filled with what appeared to be someone else’s personal information.

Reading through the comments there people are saying that since it was a DEMO unit it would have been loaded with Demo (fake) data.

So actually store is woman buys new ipad meant to be used for store demo and not for actual sell, gets fake data.

It's ironic, yet sadly predictable, that this thread and the animals posting in it would be right above a thread related to sexism.

I suppose that's what you get on a forum populated entirely by male models?

It's ironic, yet sadly predictable, that this thread and the animals posting in it would be right above a thread related to sexism.

Zoolander.jpg

Hi, you must be new. Welcome to the internet. :D

I bought a brand new Chromebook at Best Buy and it already had an account on it with personal stuff. it was 100% factory sealed and had no signs of tampering at all on the box or the contents so that was just odd.

I bought a brand new Chromebook at Best Buy and it already had an account on it with personal stuff. it was 100% factory sealed and had no signs of tampering at all on the box or the contents so that was just odd.

any place can shrink wrap. just look at gamestop.

Nothing sexist here, people of either gender can be considered ugly, calling a woman is no more sexist then calling a man ugly.

any place can shrink wrap. just look at gamestop.
um no shrink wrap. it was box and had the factory tape with no signs that it had been tampered with. and every single thing on the inside of the box appeared to have never been tampered with either. I think it came from the factory like for some reason.

Nothing sexist here, people of either gender can be considered ugly, calling a woman is no more sexist then calling a man ugly.
Oh, please. There was no reason to discuss her appearance at all, nor was there any reason to discuss her possible sexual orientation. She's clearly not going to be mistaken for a Victoria's Secret model but she's also not "the elephant woman," either of which might have been worthy of comment.

Don't defend the indefensible.

Crowley noticed a demonstration label on the box which mayt mean it was once owned by an Apple employee.

If it is labeled as a demo, why on earth would you think the information was real? It come preloaded with fake information for demonstration purposes. It's not that hard to figure out. Take the thing back and get a normal unit. Then report the store to Apple for selling demo units.

If it is labeled as a demo, why on earth would you think the information was real? It come preloaded with fake information for demonstration purposes. It's not that hard to figure out. Take the thing back and get a normal unit. Then report the store to Apple for selling demo units.

Thank you. And to think she is a COP..Someone isn't going to be passing that detective exam anytime soon!:D

Oh, please. There was no reason to discuss her appearance at all

Her appearance is the exact reason it is being discussed. If anything, there would have been even more comments about her looks if she looked like a bikini model. If that's your point, I have some bad news for you.

What you said is more sexist than what anyone else has said so far.

IF she was 1) hot, and 2) naked......THEN you would see a LOT of comments. ;) Just sayin'

Oh, please. There was no reason to discuss her appearance at all, nor was there any reason to discuss her possible sexual orientation.
I agree, leave the frumpy bulldyke alone. This is the internet, and its important we stay serious and focused. Lives are at stake.

Her replacement will either have backlight bleeding, dust under the screen, or dead pixels.

Thank you. And to think she is a COP..Someone isn't going to be passing that detective exam anytime soon!:D

Hello people that are actually talking about the story. Exactly, a cop couldn't figure out basic stuff and jumps to conclusions that make no sense. :/ said is that she probably will past that test. Seeing the demo unit on the box for some reason makes her think it was previously owned by an Apple employee maybe... How would that be a demo? That would be a beta or test unit in that case. Being a cop she could have looked up the name from the information she had. Instead of "thinking" it was some person from California.

Then for the news to run this and once again not even attempt to validate their story is another example of the great reporting that goes on.

I almost thought this was from The Onion... I mean, really, someone didn't erase their data from a previously owned/demo device and it makes news? ugh.... well, at least I feel sleepy now

also, chick looks and acts nearly identical to this dude from my office. I mean, really, no big deal or anything I just thought that was amusing, lots of guys lookin like chicks these days too

I almost thought this was from The Onion... I mean, really, someone didn't erase their data from a previously owned/demo device and it makes news? ugh.... well, at least I feel sleepy now

The real news if this had been true is that used items with customer data are being sold as new. So I would give them that much if this was a valid story. Those types of stories should help make people more aware of their data before returning / disposing of devices.

Reading through the comments there people are saying that since it was a DEMO unit it would have been loaded with Demo (fake) data.

So actually store is woman buys new ipad meant to be used for store demo and not for actual sell, gets fake data.

It probably was a Demo unit---technically still brand new and never been warrantied, but that's not the problem. The store knew it was a demo unit when it put it on sale--no accident, there. The accident was that the store neglected to format the drive and reinstall the OS from scratch.

She's right, of course. The sale advertised *new* iPads, not open-box returns, demo units, etc. Sometimes demo units are run on display for months and even years in some cases, before they are boxed up and sold as clearly marked and reduced "demo units."

Yup. Guilty as charged. Women have a place, and that is in the kitchen. Not playing video games, not bitching on the internet. Kitchen and bedroom.

Men are the superior sex, and this is scientifically proven. Science, man. You can't argue with that.

;)

It probably was a Demo unit---technically still brand new and never been warrantied, but that's not the problem. The store knew it was a demo unit when it put it on sale--no accident, there. The accident was that the store neglected to format the drive and reinstall the OS from scratch.

She's right, of course. The sale advertised *new* iPads, not open-box returns, demo units, etc. Sometimes demo units are run on display for months and even years in some cases, before they are boxed up and sold as clearly marked and reduced "demo units."

I don't disagree that the store shouldn't have sold her the demo unit. But she didn't get a returned device with somebody else's data. That is that part that they are wrong in complaining about.

From what I have read there on the page of that article, if you do a factory reset on a demo unit (or when it is new) there is al that data on there. they want to make sure that the store have stuff on there for the customer to see. So even brand new then it would have that data on there, and they wouldn't have had an easy time removing it in a way that a new user would get a "normal" blank ipad.

Yup. Guilty as charged. Women have a place, and that is in the kitchen. Not playing video games, not bitching on the internet. Kitchen and bedroom.

Men are the superior sex, and this is scientifically proven. Science, man. You can't argue with that.

;)

Does this mean we've all agreed that the person we are talking about is a woman? :p

Back