ASUS Z87-WS LGA 1150 Motherboard Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS Z87-WS LGA 1150 Motherboard Review - The ASUS Z87-WS is a workstation focused motherboard with gaming pedigree. Intended to be ideal for graphics professionals or gamers, with a solid feature set both on the hardware and software fronts. All with a healthy 10 SATA ports. We take the Z87-WS out for a thorough test drive and tell you what we think of it.

I got that board since release and have to say for my needs its probably the best I ever owned. One thing sucks though, you can't access fan headers CHA_FAN3 and 4 while a Graphics card is installed and some fan cables can't be used at all, theres not enough room if you got a card in that slot. That annoyed me a bit but otherwise im very satisfied. I have never used the ASUS software suite for Overclocking or other purposes so I can't really comment on that.

Good review!

Is the Mini-DP under thunderbolt ?

If it is, then I am interested switching to this one.....

From Dan's conclusions on the last page.
"From that standpoint the Z87-WS doesn’t disappoint though it does lack the Thunderbolt and WiFi options of the P8Z77-WS which precedes it. "

I am assuming there is no thunderbolt.

And just when I thought [H] had reviewed every single model of motherboard Asus ever made.

Theres no Thunderbolt, just HDMI/Display Port. The P8Z77-WS had no Thunderbolt and WiFi either.

ATM there are not loslts of uses for thunderbolt it seems but I assume we will see more external HDs utilizing it....I cant justify paying the premium for a Thunderbolt mono ATM unless us going to use it for sure..

I have been using the Z87-WS in my current rig for about a month and love it so far. I'm a simple overclocker (changed multiplier only) and my 4770K is stable at 4.3 with the L3 cache also at 4.3 (the UEFI in Auto sets the CPU voltage to 1.225 at this multiplier). I run BOINC almost 24X7 and this board has been rock stable under that OC and load. I'm very happy with the board.

Back