Record Sales On Cyber Monday

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Cyber Monday is shaping up to be the "biggest online shopping day in history." It looks like people are finally figuring out that Cyber Monday is the best way to get a deal in the comfort of your own home, minus all the mobby / stabby / shootiness that takes place on Black Friday. :D

The numbers are mind-boggling. As of 6 p.m. Eastern time, overall sales were up 17.5% on Cyber Monday compared with last year, says IBM Digital Analytics Benchmark. Another e-commerce research company, Custora Pulse, found online sales up almost 19%. The numbers may shift even higher as people continue to shop through the evening.

Much better than the scenarios on black Friday, but something is going to go awry in the future.

How can you call yourself an American if you're not knocking over an old lady and trampling a small child to get a cheap piece of junk for 80% off that you never would have wanted otherwise?

Most of the deals were actually not so great in my opinion. My friends took to calling it Cyber Disappointing. Maybe it was just us? Apparently the general population disagrees. How about you guys?

Most of the deals were actually not so great in my opinion. My friends took to calling it Cyber Disappointing. Maybe it was just us? Apparently the general population disagrees. How about you guys?

I thought it was very disappointing compared to the past.

Agreed. There was nothing on sale that was worth buying, IMO. That, or the deals weren't enough to justify the purchase.

I was hoping to see some decent plasma TV deals, but a sale price of $1800 or so is still too expensive.

I agree. I saw nothing really compelling. I had an eye out for a new 65" TV, but never saw anything really that great. Sales, yes, but not Cyber-Monday quality sales. I think one can do better after Jan 1 when retailers are clearing out for end-of-year tax inventory.

Agreed. There was nothing on sale that was worth buying, IMO. That, or the deals weren't enough to justify the purchase.

I was hoping to see some decent plasma TV deals, but a sale price of $1800 or so is still too expensive.

Yea I was looking for a 1600p monitor or something else fun. Oh well can we start the post Christmas return sales clock meow?;)

I bought one thing that I have had my eye on for quite some time. At the regular price of $285.00 is worth it, on sale, plus a discount, out the door for $170.00.? I pulled the trigger. Resisted temptation to get other things -- will save up for those.

I was looking at a few SSDs.....there were some pretty good deals on Amazon last night, but with our tax rate in NY the deal quickly evaporates.

I couldn't even access newegg after 5 PM last night.

So.......nothing I really needed.

I'm just going to look daily for deals.:D

I agree. I saw nothing really compelling. I had an eye out for a new 65" TV, but never saw anything really that great. Sales, yes, but not Cyber-Monday quality sales. I think one can do better after Jan 1 when retailers are clearing out for end-of-year tax inventory.

Target had some decent TV deals, but they never have very many for sale, so people are trying to kill each other for like, 3 TVs. Is $220 a good price for a 50 inch LCD tv? Yes. But it's not worth trying to kill yourself or anyone else over. I go for the deals that the average consumer wouldn't think to check. I've posted this in another thread, but I upgraded my CPU, motherboard and RAM for $206 at Microcenter. I feel like I got a good deal.

There were a few decent deals, but not not many and none were amazing.

Either these reports are wrong or people are really that dumb. Practically everything I've seen being offered on Cyber Monday was either the same price as on BF weekend, or, a tiny bit more expensive.

When it comes to Black Friday, (1) I have to work, and (2) even if they were giving away something that I needed I still would not fight the crowds.

Either these reports are wrong or people are really that dumb. Practically everything I've seen being offered on Cyber Monday was either the same price as on BF weekend, or, a tiny bit more expensive.

I think many people, myself included, are seeing CyberMonday not so much as some big bargain.......

but, shopping at home, being able to easily compare prices and goods offered, shipped to your door for free (most of the time) no driving around spending gas, and most of all no giant angry crowds and frustrated clerks to put up with.:D

Also the masses are warming up to online shopping as an alternative to the standard store.

I didnt buy anything on cyber Monday really. I did buy an iPad at target on black friday. I also bought a new UPS and Router during black friday. But most of my shopping last week was on Tuesday.

Newegg had pages and pages of REFURBISHED "deals". Were they selling anything not used?

I normally find it like that. Although I do enjoy looking up afterwords to see how many items I can find that were actually raised in price and people still probably bought because it was "on sale". The general populate just get won over by the word sale. They will buy something they don't want or need because they can save 20% on it. Doesn't matter that they would / could save 100% not buying it, the fact they saved money trumps that

Back