Man Killed For His PS4

HardOCP News

[H] News
All you guys out there buying and selling consoles to complete strangers should really be careful. It's not worth losing your life over a crappy console or a few bucks.

The victim, a man in his early 20s, was shot multiple times around 3:30 p.m. in the area of Jerrold Avenue and Bayshore Boulevard near Highway 101, said Officer Albie Esparza. The man was taken to San Francisco General Hospital, where he later died.

This is why I don't do face to face sales anymore. People are effing nuts.

Saw this on the news and to be fair that ain't exactly the wisest of locations in San Francisco to meet to sell expensive console for markup to someone who's probably pissed he couldn't get one at MSRP. While yeah there are some shittier neighborhoods, that place ain't exactly right next to a police station or in a very public area.

Saw this on the news and to be fair that ain't exactly the wisest of locations in San Francisco to meet to sell expensive console for markup to someone who's probably pissed he couldn't get one at MSRP. While yeah there are some shittier neighborhoods, that place ain't exactly right next to a police station or in a very public area.

Was about to say this. When they gave the location, I was not entirely shocked that it happened there...

Well, I guess the government can prove it case now that the video games industry do kill people.

Killed over a piece of plastic. What a shitty way to go.

This is why I always meet at a police station when dealing with CL Creeps.

Yikes! That's nuts.

When doing this sort of buying and selling, always meet up in a public area. If your potential buyer doesn't agree then that should be a red flag.

And California doesn't allow you to protect yourself in public so he was doubly effed.

rather they don't allow the lab abiding to protect themselves

And this is why I will never do face to face Craigslist.. It's extremely sad that someone could be spineless and subhuman enough to end someone's life over a material item.

Well I guess California is different than Tennessee, pretty much everyone I know has a carry permit and more than a few guns. Our permits dont even require the gun be concealed.

For some reason people think that they are less safe when people openly carry weapons legally. It boggles my mind but there is no reason to beat a dead horse.

And to the person above - my uncle has a concealed carry in CA. He works in Sacramento and lives in Rancho Cordova. He is by no means 'Rich'. I don't know the laws but concealed carry's are possible in this liberal state. At least for the time being :(

Based on the area, this shouldn't be a surprise.
For those of you who are surprised that a person would kill someone over a $400 piece of plastic, just watch a show called "The First 48"
Young men killing each other for a lot less.
Very sad indeed

Well I guess California is different than Tennessee, pretty much everyone I know has a carry permit and more than a few guns. Our permits dont even require the gun be concealed.

Really?

Know anybody who isn't super rich that has a concealed carry license?

And California doesn't allow you to protect yourself in public so he was doubly effed.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/PEN/3/4/2/1/3/s12050

(a)(1)(A)The sheriff of a county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying satisfies any one of the conditions specified in subparagraph (D) and has completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E), may issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in either one of the following formats:

(i)A license to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(ii)Where the population of the county is less than 200,000 persons according to the most recent federal decennial census, a license to carry loaded and exposed in that
county a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(B)The chief or other head of a municipal police department of any city or city and county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying is a resident of that city and has completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E), may issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in either one of the following formats:

(i)A license to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(ii)Where the population of the county in which the city is located is less than 200,000 persons according to the most recent federal decennial census, a license to carry loaded and exposed in that county a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/PEN/3/4/2/1/3/s12050#sthash.oBwtrkt6.dpuf
As a Californian, yes, it is ILLEGAL to public carry a firearm.

However, you are allowed to carry a firearm given that you get a permit issued by the sheriff of the county you reside in OR the police chief or other head of a municipal police department, and MEET their conditions:

• Be of good moral character.
  • Have a good cause for issuance of a permit.
  • Meet residency requirements.
  • Pass a firearms training course.
In "TL;DR" terms, this makes owning a gun and carrying it in public rather convoluted and complex. It's the very reason why our state is the way it is, and why criminals and the marijuana growers in the Angeles Forest and San Bernandino mountains have more guns than the average California resident..

I'm sorry that the guy lost his life. Unfortunately, our gun laws make public carry a complex mess. You can't openly carry a gun here like in Texas or some other state. But, carrying a gun may or may not have helped save his life in my opinion. Common sense probably would have. The gun would have been a backup if things went south.

The last time I sold something on Craigslist, I made sure we met at a mall on a Saturday when it was crowded with people around me. I have not sold anything on Craigslist since the last Craigslist-related crime made headlines for obvious reasons. Nowadays, I just revert to eBay to sell things and disallow local pickup. Even if I sell something on [H]'s FS/FT forum again, I'll not allow local pickup.

(I'm sure a lot of you are nice guys and upstanding citizens, but I only know many of you through my computer monitor. :cool: )

Human race has come a long way, where black Friday is a stampede, and if you missed out on the TV and the last one just got taken, you can shoot the guy in the parking lot for it, or some kid is selling his PS4, you can just show up and shoot him in broad daylight, and then take the item...I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Seems typical of the kind of low class riff raff who game on consoles. I've never heard of PC gamers killing each other over the latest video card.

Human race has come a long way, where black Friday is a stampede,

Yeah gotta love that contrast, One day you're giving thanks, next day you're trampling your neighbor for that shiny new toy. :rolleyes:

Really?

Know anybody who isn't super rich that has a concealed carry license?

To be fair getting a carry permit in San Fran is impossible. They have 0 issued but other counties it's fine and I carry in SF whenever I go.

Un-possible. Its illegal to carry a firearm in California*.

Its also illegal to rob, assault and murder. Obviously there were not enough signs stating this in the area.

(*unless you have a title of nobility, such as "peace officer" or "government agent")

Yeah gotta love that contrast, One day you're giving thanks, next day you're trampling your neighbor for that shiny new toy. :rolleyes:

You people do know that stores open now on Thursdays right? Now you can do it all on the same day.:D

Nothing but animals.

I worked in that area of town for years, and NOBODY meets anybody over there. That is damn near no-mans land. Right where Mission ends and HP begins. Rundown industrial area, with few people around to see the deed.

*illegal unless you have a permit which is a defense against that illegality. Thats fairly common across the US

Please explain. As far as I know California has functioning self-defense clauses.

I believe that comment was in reference to the bizarre state of Concealed Carry here in California. Here your LOCAL Sheriff decides if you can carry anywhere in the State and they don't HAVE to issue a permit. In the Bay Area where this occurred it's almost impossible to have a License to Carry a firearm unless you're rich and powerful but in the less "enlightened" areas of the State it's not uncommon to have a License to carry.

And this is why I will never do face to face Craigslist.. It's extremely sad that someone could be spineless and subhuman enough to end someone's life over a material item.

I have done face to face in the past, but made sure to do the transaction in the parking lot of the bank I do business with on the side that faces the street in a very upper class neighborhood. I guess I am old school in that I do business face to face and conclude it with a handshake. However, times are changing.

Please explain. As far as I know California has functioning self-defense clauses.

It does. But because you can't get a CCW in most countries, suddenly it is entirely illegal to defend yourself in CA. Internet logic.

Back