SAPPHIRE TOXIC R9 280X Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
SAPPHIRE TOXIC R9 280X Video Card Review - The SAPPHIRE TOXIC R9 280X is here and is screaming to be overclocked. This bad boy is suited with the new SAPPHIRE Tri-X cooling system, a hefty factory overclock, and is built to push overclocking to the next level. It will have some fierce competition going head to head with the ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II and its overclocking ability.

Good review. Especially liked [H] including stock & OC performance for both brands!

The price of the Toxic is on the high side, but also includes a $15-20 backplate & beefy cooler so it isn't so bad.

However just finding a R9 280x in stock anywhere will be a challenge short term with them selling out almost everywhere.

Wow - this is some serious performance for that price range! I had a previous Sapphire Toxic card (6950) which at the time out performed the much more expensive 580. The only thing with these Toxic editions is they don't come out for awhile. The 7970/290 has been out for a long time and we are just now getting this card. What I really want to see from Sapphire is a Toxic 290 card without waiting a year.

The sapphire r9 280x toxic card is engineered to be the fastest r9 280x and it shows. the price needs to be around $340 to be more competitive. but looks like with the mining craze prices will be high. all R9 280X / HD 7970 / HD 7950 cards are out of stock at newegg. :D

Should've compared with a 290. I mean, they are close in price, would like to see the [H] comparision between the 2

this card is too expensive, because the 290 is only $40 more for >10% more performance.

this card is too expensive, because the 290 is only $40 more for >10% more performance.

+1

Listed @ $360 on Newegg right now. Who wouldn't spend the extra $40 on a 290?

~$330 would be more realistic.

Kyle sums it up here:
(Kyle's Note: While getting this review ready to publish last night we saw the rebate appear (using Hover Hound) bringing the price of the ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II to $309 after $30MIR. We know some of you do not take advantage of Mail-in-Rebates, but we do have to consider that somewhat in our reviews. With the $30 MIR considered, the price delta opens up to $50 on two cards that basically turned in identical real world gaming performances. That is a lot of money to just ignore. The GeForce 770 also comes with three free triple A title games as well. I would certainly suggest this takes some of the wind out of Sapphire's sails, but we will have to wait and see if the price of the GTX 770 actually drops any time soon. With the GTX 770 rebate in place on that card, it makes the award look much more like Silver than Gold.)

Grammar nazi

"n Battlefield 4, we selected the Siege of Shanghai as our map for testing.Siege of"

Missed a space

I have to agree that the price is to high as most of us got our R9-290 for $386 shipped from newegg so we are talking $26 .. the total load power used is also in line with the 290 so it should be compared.

I don't see the value in getting this over the ASUS DCII, yeah it edges it out performance-wise by a hair, but it's nowhere near worth the $50 price difference. I also missed a noise comparison in the review, please point it to me if it's there. From what I read on other reviews the Toxic is also the loudest of all 280X's at load.

Was able to snag two of them for $670 ($335/each) from Newegg with the 5% mobile coupon code.

exlink

Never read a review where a rebate was added to assessment.

Back