Microsoft’s Xbox One Wins Early Sales Battle on Black Friday

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Well, the tallies are in for Black Friday sales and the clear winner was Microsoft with the Xbox One (and even the Xbox 360) by a wide margin. The figures could be a little misleading since the PS4 was out of stock at many locations and limited at others.

Together, the Microsoft consoles had 61 percent of the market, and the next-generation consoles (the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) had a total of 46 percent of the market.

This was likely due to limited availability for the PS4. Nintendo really needs to drop the price of the Wii U.

Wii U needs to be $199, hell maybe $149 to sell some units. Total failure of a system and waste of resources releasing that pathetic piece of crap.

How could their be limited availability of the PS4, we knew about the PS4 first, and by many accounts MS was surprised but the PS4 announcement. If SONY could not produce with more units with off the shelf parts what I don't even know.

The more likely reason is that for some reason Walmart and Target just bought more Xbox ones and PS4s went out in greater numbers to other retailers like Gamestop,best buy etc...

Either that or MS really did one up SONY and just produced a ton more consoles despite their claims that there were yield issues with the APU.

How could their be limited availability of the PS4, we knew about the PS4 first, and by many accounts MS was surprised but the PS4 announcement. If SONY could not produce with more units with off the shelf parts what I don't even know.

EU release was the same day. Nov 29.
That's where most of the stock went.
These graphs are useless and don't tell us anything.

This is a biased article, it fails to mention Xbox's global release compared to Sony's limited release.

This is a biased article, it fails to mention Xbox's global release compared to Sony's limited release.
Mabe becasue that don't really matter? Again, 1 million units is 1 million units no matter the market.

Mabe becasue that don't really matter? Again, 1 million units is 1 million units no matter the market.

Exactly. If anything shouldn't that be a reason for the PS4 to have more units to sell as Microsoft had to split their consoles between 13 countries, Sony sent all theirs to North America. Not all countries had sells on black Friday, that is a USA thing, so by logic if Microsoft is sending their units to 13 different countries and Sony sends all theirs to the USA they should have been able to get far more into stores than Microsoft as Microsoft has to spread their supplies thinner.

Exactly. If anything shouldn't that be a reason for the PS4 to have more units to sell as Microsoft had to split their consoles between 13 countries, Sony sent all theirs to North America. Not all countries had sells on black Friday, that is a USA thing, so by logic if Microsoft is sending their units to 13 different countries and Sony sends all theirs to the USA they should have been able to get far more into stores than Microsoft as Microsoft has to spread their supplies thinner.

wat

Exactly and how does blackfriday sales matter outside of the US? Unless he's talking about how it's a bias against the XboxOne? If you wanted limited scope you'd point out how it limits itself to Target and Walmart, not including Amazon the largest online place or gamestop one of the larger distributors outside of walmart.

People keep bitching about any reports of how many Xbox Ones have been sold. Since Microsoft had a launch in 13 countries and Sony only in North America, people keep saying that any reports of sale figures are bull shit and that Microsoft (or anyone else) shouldn't be allowed to release any sales figures for how the Xbox One is doing because they are false since they sold them to more countries than Sony sold the PS 4.

PS4 didn't even have 1 game worth buying! gran turismo on PS3 only killed it for me with PS4

unless i can mine on the xbox one I'm not gonna bother

The more likely reason is that for some reason Walmart and Target just bought more Xbox ones and PS4s went out in greater numbers to other retailers like Gamestop,best buy etc...

Either that or MS really did one up SONY and just produced a ton more consoles despite their claims that there were yield issues with the APU.

If this isn't bad English, then I don't know what the fuck you wrote.

PS4 didn't even have 1 game worth buying! gran turismo on PS3 only killed it for me with PS4

unless i can mine on the xbox one I'm not gonna bother

no, minecraft doesn't come out for the next gen for awhile still. ;)

Best Buy is selling the Xbox 360 with 250GB hard drive and 4 great games for $189. Definitely worth getting on a budget. (Batman: Arkham City, Tomb Raider are 2 that I remember off the top of my head.) This is the 360 Slim model and I think is an excellent deal.

Walmart had like 1 at each of its stores. All you needed to do to get one was get there at 8am on Thanksgiving day.

If the Wii U dropped to $149. I wouldnt hesitate. But at $299. No. Absolutely not.

The Best Buy deal also has Halo 4 and Darksiders 2 and is still good until the end of the day tomorrow.

I went to Gamestop with a friend at midnight so he could get an Xbox One. There were so many people and checkout was so slow that we didn't even make it inside the store until 50 minutes after they opened the door, yet I was the first person that bought any games. As a matter of fact, in the hour that I waited inside while my friend was in line, I was one of three people that even looked at games at all - nearly everyone showed up for a One or PS4 and many left the store with two in hand.
The nearest Wal-Mart to me had a buttload of the $99 360's. They opened at 6pm to an onslaught of moocows, yet when I went back around 6am to check out the carnage, there were still loads of doorbusters available, including the stampede TV's. This was also true for Best Buy and Target, where a guy still bought a PS4 around 5am. There were at least 50 of the 360's left, and there were many more of the PS3 Last of Us/Batman bundles with a $149 display tag instead of $199.

I went to Gamestop with a friend at midnight so he could get an Xbox One. There were so many people and checkout was so slow that we didn't even make it inside the store until 50 minutes after they opened the door, yet I was the first person that bought any games. As a matter of fact, in the hour that I waited inside while my friend was in line, I was one of three people that even looked at games at all - nearly everyone showed up for a One or PS4 and many left the store with two in hand.
The nearest Wal-Mart to me had a buttload of the $99 360's. They opened at 6pm to an onslaught of moocows, yet when I went back around 6am to check out the carnage, there were still loads of doorbusters available, including the stampede TV's. This was also true for Best Buy and Target, where a guy still bought a PS4 around 5am. There were at least 50 of the 360's left, and there were many more of the PS3 Last of Us/Batman bundles with a $149 display tag instead of $199.

I think more and more are realizing those TV's are barely a deal.

Last year BB had a TV for $289 on black Friday, there was 5 of them in stock I think. Checking the internet for normal pricing the TV was $300-315 depending on where you got it from but that didn't stop 20 people camping out in front of the store!

The PS4's stock is stretched over a lot more territories at the moment than the Xbox, stands to reason there were more available to purchase on the day. Hell every major retailer I've been to this week has had PS4's on back order to December/January but had Xbox's on shelf

You'll find out how far this rabbit hole goes when it's between January to March next year. Anything until then is just hyperbole.

You do know they already sold 1 million units in NA alone. Just because Microsoft outsold Sony on BF means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

COD Ghosts is more than 2x ahead of the next best selling game? Are you fucking me right now?

people like COD, get the fuck over it. Over the 360's lifetime COD Black Ops is the #2 selling game right behind GTA V.

On the PS3 COD sold more copies than TLOU

1) Did Sony have as many units ready-to-sell as microsoft did? Was their supply lower?

2)Does anyone know if MS had more markets open on launch day? Or is sony doing the staggered market release?

3) These figures would be useful if supply outstripped demand. Currently, launch figures only show how many units sold of the units made available. At the moment, MS seems to have more consoles to sell. (due to a wider market release maybe?) Either way, both are going to be sold out in the initial stages. Happy I got my demand met!

4) Once supply > demand, a clearer picture will form. Not that its in any way important. Games everywhere!

Well, the tallies are in for Black Friday sales and the clear winner was Microsoft with the Xbox One (and even the Xbox 360) by a wide margin. The figures could be a little misleading since the PS4 was out of stock at many locations and limited at others.

Calling the figures misleading would be the understatement of the decade.

Let me try to put this in perspective. As independent sales reports started to roll in after the Xbox's worldwide launch, such as Chart Track in the UK, most of the national sales numbers for the Xbox One were setting records... records for the lowest sales of a launched console to date.. as in lower than the Playstation 3 launch figures which were previously a mocking testament to Howard Stringer's insane pricing.

However, in key countries such as the US, independent verification of Xbox One sales numbers has been hard to come by. IDC, the typical go-to target for US sales figures, has been suspiciously silent. Actual distributors such as Amazon, Walmart, and Best Buy were also silent beyond confirmations that they had Xbox One units in stock.

To put it bluntly, I haven't had this hard a time tracking actual retail sales since the Microsoft Surface. I shouldn't have to explain to the HardOCP crowd just how big of a flop the Surface was; nor should I have to explain the lengths Microsoft was willing to go through to try and make that platform look like a retail success until they finally admitted it was a disaster.

The big question now though is whether or not Microsoft's Black Friday Performance was enough to close the sales gap between the Playstation 4 and the Xbox One. We know for a fact that the Playstation 4 sold through it's launch shipments and that a huge backlog of to-be-manufactured consoles exists; the most notable to date being Gamestop's whopping 2.3 million units backordered. We know for a fact that the Xbox One did not sell through it's launch shipments and that not only are units in stock in most locations; those locations that are out of stock likely don't have any backorders.

Given this inventory discrepancy, it's no surprise that Microsoft or Microsoft partners would treat the Xbox One units they can shift out the door as a victory. No company or partner in their right mind would admit that the units they are selling are from likely day 0 launch shipments and not restocks.

As to the WiiU... Okay, I'll agree that Nintendo really should bring the price down another 50 or so dollars for a console without any games. That being said, when $300 can pick you up a WiiU with desirable titles like Wind Waker... well... that was a sales success for Nintendo.

Walmart had like 1 at each of its stores. All you needed to do to get one was get there at 8am on Thanksgiving day.

my Walmart had around 50 of the 360s for $99. they were handing out wrist ands to guarantee one. they only had 3 left when I got in line an hour before they started selling them. $99 is the only reason I bothered doing black Friday. good gift for the grand kids.

I was in a Gamestop at 10 am in Friday and they had 14 Xbox Ones still instock!!! They said they had 6 Ps4s for sale at midnight and they went to the first 6 customers. Either the demand for the Xboxs are lower then expected or Microsoft might be keeping the supply up better then Sony.

as if, isnt the ps4 graphics better, plus its cheaper than the xbox

Calling the figures misleading would be the understatement of the decade.

Let me try to put this in perspective. As independent sales reports started to roll in after the Xbox's worldwide launch, such as Chart Track in the UK, most of the national sales numbers for the Xbox One were setting records... records for the lowest sales of a launched console to date.. as in lower than the Playstation 3 launch figures which were previously a mocking testament to Howard Stringer's insane pricing.

However, in key countries such as the US, independent verification of Xbox One sales numbers has been hard to come by. IDC, the typical go-to target for US sales figures, has been suspiciously silent. Actual distributors such as Amazon, Walmart, and Best Buy were also silent beyond confirmations that they had Xbox One units in stock.

To put it bluntly, I haven't had this hard a time tracking actual retail sales since the Microsoft Surface. I shouldn't have to explain to the HardOCP crowd just how big of a flop the Surface was; nor should I have to explain the lengths Microsoft was willing to go through to try and make that platform look like a retail success until they finally admitted it was a disaster.

The big question now though is whether or not Microsoft's Black Friday Performance was enough to close the sales gap between the Playstation 4 and the Xbox One. We know for a fact that the Playstation 4 sold through it's launch shipments and that a huge backlog of to-be-manufactured consoles exists; the most notable to date being Gamestop's whopping 2.3 million units backordered. We know for a fact that the Xbox One did not sell through it's launch shipments and that not only are units in stock in most locations; those locations that are out of stock likely don't have any backorders.

Given this inventory discrepancy, it's no surprise that Microsoft or Microsoft partners would treat the Xbox One units they can shift out the door as a victory. No company or partner in their right mind would admit that the units they are selling are from likely day 0 launch shipments and not restocks.

As to the WiiU... Okay, I'll agree that Nintendo really should bring the price down another 50 or so dollars for a console without any games. That being said, when $300 can pick you up a WiiU with desirable titles like Wind Waker... well... that was a sales success for Nintendo.

only if we can call this misleading post of the year, seriously where do you find this garbage? I have many contacts within multiple Best Buys here as i was a regional level employee while getting my degree, and all of them have said theyve received 3+ shipments of the XOne AFTER the initial release shipment and they had very high allotment come in for black friday

How about wait for the real numbers instead of depending on a "survey"?

First let me say I work at Walmart in the electronics section (its a job and it pays the bills :p) and the fact of the matter is if our store is like any of the others in the US then really this doesn't surprise me but its not the reason Microsoft would like it to be.

We sold through 45 ps4's in an hour on black thur. That was our entire stock. We had 150 XBones to sell and I just sold my last one a half hour ago. We simply had more of them but it didn't matter, only one out of every 5 "do you have any left" questions were for XBones the rest were for ps4's. I just think people want them more this time around but Microsoft has more XBones available.

Back