Advice on audio components

StoleMyOwnCar

2[H]4U
I recently got in on the 65$ deal for one of the Creative Sound Blaster Z sound cards. Currently my earphones are the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and my speakers are... some cheap, old desktop speakers that pretty much anything will be an improvement from. I was really amazed with how good some of the software-driven enhancements from Creative sounded, like the surround and crystallization and bass and all that... on my earphones anyway. Absolutely no difference on my speakers.

So, what I'm looking for is recommendations on what I should go for as far as enhancements to my current sound setup that would get the most out of this sound card. I don't really have a set budget (well, let's say try to keep it under 400-500$), but I request that it be worth the money. IE, no audiophile-level minuscule improvements for 200$ more than the next level down at X$.

I'm quite open to the speakers being from Ebay, as well. In fact I encourage it. If any of you know of some really good deals on old used stuff on Ebay, I wouldn't mind hearing the suggestions. Earphones I'm a bit more iffy about.

For earphones, I have no idea. I'd prefer to not have to get another amp (besides the one in the soundcard) for them, and for them to maximize price and performance for my sound card. I also find the current HD280Pro's to be very uncomfortable for extended use for some reason... so I hardly ever use them. Would like something better in that department.

TL;DR: <400-500$ for speakers and/or earphones (ie both, or just one if just getting one for that budget is much better). Prefer to not have to invest in amp for earphones.

Thanks.

I recently got in on the 65$ deal for one of the Creative Sound Blaster Z sound cards. Currently my earphones are the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and my speakers are... some cheap, old desktop speakers that pretty much anything will be an improvement from. I was really amazed with how good some of the software-driven enhancements from Creative sounded, like the surround and crystallization and bass and all that... on my earphones anyway. Absolutely no difference on my speakers.

So, what I'm looking for is recommendations on what I should go for as far as enhancements to my current sound setup that would get the most out of this sound card. I don't really have a set budget (well, let's say try to keep it under 400-500$), but I request that it be worth the money. IE, no audiophile-level minuscule improvements for 200$ more than the next level down at X$.

I'm quite open to the speakers being from Ebay, as well. In fact I encourage it. If any of you know of some really good deals on old used stuff on Ebay, I wouldn't mind hearing the suggestions. Earphones I'm a bit more iffy about.

For earphones, I have no idea. I'd prefer to not have to get another amp (besides the one in the soundcard) for them, and for them to maximize price and performance for my sound card. I also find the current HD280Pro's to be very uncomfortable for extended use for some reason... so I hardly ever use them. Would like something better in that department.

TL;DR: <400-500$ for speakers and/or earphones (ie both, or just one if just getting one for that budget is much better). Prefer to not have to invest in amp for earphones.

Thanks.

Too bad you don't like the 280pros. I've had a pair for years until my roommate broke them, but I've never had comfort issues with them. Anywho. For headphones, I would recommend a pair of HD-595s or HD-598s. They're low impedence, so they shouldn't require a separate headphone amp, but (sorry - had to include it even though you don't want one :D) an amp will help. I also like Grado too, but if you're used to the Sennheiser sound signature, then Grados might be a bit of a culture shock. There are other good brands too, but I haven't messed with them.

In full disclosure, my system consists of Sennheiser HD-650s, paired with a HeadRoom Micro Amp. Source is usually my iPod, iPhone, or computer (SB Audigy 2 ZS), and on occasion - a Marantz DV-7001. I have a pair of Grado SR-60i's, but they don't get plugged into the amp (they don't need amplification, and if I'm feeling critical, my HD-650's are my reference).

Well they used to be more comfortable, but even then they kind of agitated my ears thanks to rubbing on my glasses frame. As time went on though they got worse and worse for constant wear. I just really hardly ever use them. I suppose I should include that as a stipulation: have to be comfortable with a glasses frame.

Edit: Also not TOTALLY against a headphone amp, but would prefer to not need one since the sound card already has one...

Last edited:
I own all the following headphones and they are all great especially for what they cost (or what they cost me)

in order of my personal preference.
1. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 (cost $220~ new.... found mine in the used gear at guitar center in excellent condition $80)

2. Pioneer SE-A1000 (mine cost me $35~ closeout at bb... oh wow these have come down on amazon today at lest $46~ ) these are open so outside noise will come in and noise will leak so keep that in mind) but very good detailed sound quality and excellent sound stage ... however fit can be an issue for people with smaller heads non a problem for me because my head is rather large...I can wear these and the DT770s for hours with no comfort issues.

3. AudioTechnia ATH-M50 ($105~ I paid ... they vary in price between about $100~ (best price i have seen and $150) I really like these they are built like tanks ..however I do not like the stock earpads I put Shure 840 earpads on mine and I like these much better.

4. JVC HA-RX700 $40~ (mine cost about $33) really good sound quality for the tiny price tag .... fairly gigantic however.

speaker wise how much room you working with best bang for buck is generally going to be with used /vintage stereo receiver + vintage /used bookshelf speakers

right now I'm rocking out with my $20 Kenwood KR-V106R and $11.25 (yes I rock) Monitor Audio Silver S1 speakers (i had to clean the cabinets up a bit on these)

if you have less room on your desk a t-amp + bookshelf speakers is probably the way to go

smaller speakers that I own and can say sound good indeed.

Realistic Minimus series (7/77) and /or similar Optimus speakers run about $50~ on ebay (i found mine local at estate store/thrifts/pawn shops paid no more than $15 a pair for mine I have 4 sets)

I also have some old Teac LS-MC80 speaker got for $5 for the pair

and I also have NHT SuperZereo Speakers I got for $50~ for the pair so nice (need sub realistically however)

blah blah blah my pc desk

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

obviously if you go the ebay route you can look for specific used stuff however speakers are bigger and not always easy to ship.... I would be worried about damage in shipping w/ the ebay stuff....but on the other hand a lot of people buy stuff that gets shipped well and all.

depending on what your area is like you may be able to find kewl stuff looking for local deals

cl/thrifts/pawnshops ...estate ..etc?? pretty much all my gear has been local buys. when out and about looking a smrt phone is very helpful to look up a given piece on might encounter.

if you did go new you could do much worse than these

http://www.amazon.com/Wharfedale-DI...AMOND-CHERRY/dp/B0079XG53W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_5

and

http://www.amazon.com/Topping-TP20-...&ie=UTF8&qid=1385578350&sr=1-5&keywords=t-amp

and then you'd still have $130~ for headphones (based on pricing today $300~ + $70~)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Interesting, thank you. Yeah, I notice a lot of speaker sets that go untouched at my local thrift store. I'm guessing a lot of people that go there just aren't audiophiles. I'm a huge fan of secondhand goods, honestly. More conservative for the environment and I get a great deal out of it, win win. Are there any old, good speakers that I should keep a lookout for at the thrift stores?

Another quick question: those type of speakers include bass? I don't like thumping floors with subwoofers... would prefer a more controlled bass in a smaller package.

Thanks for the recommendation on the type of amp, that looks to be a very reasonable price.

As for desk space, a few months back I bought an old-school (made in America 2007) executive 6 foot desk for about 400... might not have been the best deal, but it's big. Extends... eh, probably about 3 or so feet back. Has a decent amount of unused room on it, even with my 360, PS3, 3 monitors, keyboard, etc.

Last edited:
there is a whole lot of good brands (and / or brands with good speakers ... and not so good)

some of it will also be a matter of taste also, I like british speakers (Monitor Audio, B&W, Wharfedale ...etc) so if you come across something made in the UK you may be onto something.

I really like speakers made in America ... I have a couple pairs of JBL speakers made here (L1 and J2050... the L1s honestly are far and away the better of these..... the L1s if you can make room for them would actually be about perfect for you I'd bet but they take up a fair bit of room). I also have some klispch KG2.5's (bigger than the L1s) built in America also sound awesome.

I really like my NHT speakers but they have basically no lowend of which to speak so they may be out for you if you don't want a sub.

the Minimus Speakers 7's and the bigger 77's I mentioned before are pretty rad as pc speakers good sound small footprint (the 77's are prone to needing the surrounds fixed if you find a pair ...i had to replace the surrounds on mine).

I think the best thing would be to take a smrt phone with you to the thrifts/pawn shop and just google it when you see something that catches your eye.... take a look for condition (see if surrounds are intacts, if stuff looks original ... etc) .. if stuff is cheap enough don't be afraid to get something just to try it out... you can always sell it / give it away if you don't like it.

one more brand to keep and eye out for speakerwise

Paradigm

Alright, well I realized I didn't really have enough time to go through every thrift store over here (there are quite a few though) looking for these speakers... for now anyway. Doesn't help that they're closed on thanksgiving.

Instead I went through Ebay and looked up the brands you suggested, looking for prices that were within my strike zone. All of the sellers seem to have relatively high ratings. It's a pretty long list, I've sorted it out by maker. I'm quite a newb with these speaker things, so I would really appreciate if you told me if any of the things on this list look like good deals for basically desktop speakers (no subwoofer).

Prices are with shipping to me (yeah you can use this to almost triangulate my location if you wanted to, sicko XD):

Boston Acoustics:
CR6 105$
A40 92$
CR7 100$

Klipsch
KSB 2.1145$
B-10 160$
KSB1.1 85$
B-20 200$ <- (These are really at the edge of my strike zone, though lol)
B-3 125$

JBL
Loft 30 140$
LX300 110$
E20 135$

Wharfedale
W25 80$ start bid, no one watching it.
Diamond 9.0 130$

Realistic Minus 7 (all the same speaker, so I'll just put down the price):
75$
44$
70$
62$

Paradigm:
Atom79$
Atom (black) 80$

I'll have some time later to look these up individually and see what's what, but I would really like it if some of you experienced audiophiles here weighed in your opinions on these options if possible. Right now I'm kinda leaning towards the Realistic 7's but that's only because the price is very reasonable and I don't really know anything about all the other ones I jotted down here.

Thanks!

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The paradigm atoms are excellent. Especially for games and movies. I had a 5.1 with those as rears and have used them in 2.1 too.

Yeah I notice there are a lot of people watching that pair of black Atoms. I'm pretty tempted because they're not too expensive. Is their bass alright without a subwoofer?

Also will this amp that amp that atarione linked be alright for them?
http://www.amazon.com/Topping-TP20-...&ie=UTF8&qid=1385578350&sr=1-5&keywords=t-amp

... Speaking of which not quite sure how to hook that up to my sound card. I guess there's a way though right.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-S...ates-SmartPhones/dp/B004YEBK66/ref=pd_sim_e_2

^ Guessing a pair of those?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry, I don't know how double posts go on this, but I wish to make an update. After looking around the thrift stores over here, I came to the conclusion that not a single good receiver was to be had in the area, so I bought the pair I linked in the above post and am now drilling through all of the Ebay auctions I listed earlier... trying to find the best value.

Also, there's this new addition that I will be researching.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-P...21?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item4d14a6929d

I have read that the amp needs a pair of sensitive speakers, too... not sure what the heck that means, am trying to figure it out. Right now heavily leaning towards the Realistic Minimus 7's.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So that's 2 votes for the paradigms... really the only question I have is if that Topping TP20 amp will drive them okay? That's about the only worry I have.

Edit: Nevermind, I just said screw it and bought those black paradigms. We'll see how things go.

Last edited:
So that's 2 votes for the paradigms... really the only question I have is if that Topping TP20 amp will drive them okay? That's about the only worry I have.

Edit: Nevermind, I just said screw it and bought those black paradigms. We'll see how things go.

I think you are going to like teh paradigms as long as they are in good working order...worst case if they don't do it for you, you could likely get your money back out of them selling them on at the price it looked like you got them for.

For nearfield listening (assuming your pc room is not just GIGANTIC) the topping amp should be fine with those, if you decide to have a house party you might have problems ... just be careful about cranking them to far and sending the speakers into clipping as that would be a good way to fry a tweeter...but within reasonable adult listening levels at your pc desk you should be good to go.

I have ran some very similar sensitivity (actually a bit less) JBL L1 bookshelf speakers with my similar output rated SMSL SA-S3 t-amp worked just fine...

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1992-l-series/page06.jpg

I really do love my JBL L1s i have every intention of keeping them forever.

Nope, I keep my music relatively quiet, even in the car. I have the bass in my car jacked down to like second or third lowest notch.

Thanks a lot for all of your help in this topic. If only I could give you rep...

I'll see how things work out when the stuff gets here. The speakers look like they're going to take the longest as they haven't been shipped yet. But that's to be expected.

Kinda late but I would like to thank you guys (esp atarione for the Amp advice and stuff) for giving me advice in this thread. Everything arrived a bit over a week ago, and I've been using it quite a bit. Speakers came in excellent condition, the guy did a good packing job. Everything sounds excellent. There is currently no point in using my HD280Pro's as these speakers... might even sound better. If there's anything I upgrade to from here on out, it'll be the Paradigm Atom V7's... but those will cost about 5 times as much for a set of two as these V3's that I got off of Ebay. Not seeing much reason to upgrade either. I'm really loving this tiny but powerful little amp, too. I have this thing turned down at well under 10% volume and it's pretty darn loud. Plus I love how low profile it is and how I can just reach over and turn the knob right there.

How do these Topping amps compare to others in terms of sound quality? I have read some giving them praise such as "as good as a 400$ stereo something or other" due to the Tripath thing. Just not really sure. It sounds great for me, but audio is one of those things where you don't know you have something that is that bad until you hear something better. I know that this current setup absolutely destroys my cheapo computer speakers that I had before though.

About the Creatives Z, I had gotten them at around release time. They do work as advertised.
The scout mode is handy for Counter:strike GO.
The 600 ohm amps powers my beyer 880dts very well...
The sound is excellent.

Back