Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Air Cooler Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Scythe Mugen 4 CPU Air Cooler Review - Scythe furthers its Mugen line of computer processor heatsink air coolers by redesigning the fan with the new "Glide Stream" unit. It also pays attention to the heatsink design itself but has totally rethought its mounting system and how it works making the Mugen 4 heatsink much easier to install than its predecessors? Bang for the buck too!

This cooler is so deep it is bound to hinder on the memory slots .
But that said they could raise it few mm in height (at 156 they could go to 165 and still fit most mid towers).
They could also bend the heatpipes so it is offset over core (closer to back of MB ), the only issue with this is on 2011 MB with memory slots on both sides but with only one fan I think it would still give better clearance .

PS: Kyle the discussion link is not linked on last page .

No link to discussion in the article at the end. :)

What air cooler would fit a AM3+ with tall memory? I had a Corsair H100 and my backup H80 die on me this week, so I'm looking into getting a high quality air cooler to use. Both sounded like a Dremel tool / drill before they went.

What we have is a heat sink that is classified as high performance by Scythe that doesn’t factor in the user using high performance memory. We have been seeing this trend a lot lately and it doesn’t make any sense.

Memory with tall heatsinks (or with heatsinks at all) is what makes no sense. I wish memory makers made everybody's lives easier and stop with that gimmicky nonsense.

Your link goes to the proper site, but the text says "FronzenCPU".

We'll blame it on pre-turkey jitters.

I've been a Scythe fan for years now. Great to see this cooler really competing at every level. Scythe's early stuff under-performed.

I must have been under a rock the past year or so, I thought Scythe went under. Pardon my ignorance.

I must have been under a rock the past year or so, I thought Scythe went under. Pardon my ignorance.

Their USA division and offices closed its doors. The international division is still going strong and importing products to the USA.

Also, I can't understand why this cooler needs 12 heatpipes to shave 2 degrees off of a heatsink with 4 such as the Thermalright 120m that you tested. I see a lot of design issues that could have affected this such as lack of fin density, less surface area due to the fins being split into 4 "towers" when they could simply go straight across in one piece, etc. Is it diminishing returns or is it bad design? You would think with 12 heatpipes this thing would be a monster.

Is it just me, or do you only count 6 heat pipes and not twelve?

It's not you.

The review said 12.
Hardocp.com said:
Material: twelve copper heat pipes, aluminum fins

I took a second look at it. When I look at the base, it only has 6. Either Hardocp or Scythe Marketing are counting each half of the heatpipe as a single one.

Since it only has 6, then it actually makes the product a little better than I had originally anticipated and performance seems on par with a HSF with only 6 heatpipes. I retract my previous statement and agree this thing should get the Gold award.

Last edited:
I would have liked to seen a comparison against my favorite bang-for-the-buck CPU cooler, the Hyper212 EVO.

The hyper 212evo would perform slightly less than the Arctic cooling i30 and thermaright true Spirit 120 .

Nice cooler. Added to my recommendations shortlist for builds.

Thanks!

I can't tell for sure from the review...do standard size dimms (without tall heatsinks) fit under the cooler or only low profile ones?

Ordered mine at Amazon with free shipping the day this article came out.
Now I see it has shipping at Amazon with 2 in stock.

Been very happy with my Hyper 212+ and I have a brand new 212+ Evo sitting in the closet waiting for the next build (got a good after rebate deal many moons ago)

Pretty Darn Impressive for an Air Cooler, but whenever I see load temps over 60C I cringe and picture a volcano..Must be the WC in me:D!

Santa gave me a Mugen 4 for x-mas.
Very happy with it. My load temps went from 61-67c to 44-48c.

Back