3 monitor setup question with 29" ultrawide's

CaNNoN

Gawd
Hey guys. Been a long time since i posted on the OCP, but i have a question once again.

I am looking to enhance my display setup to match my rig. What i was thinking is a 29" ultra wide with 2 24" on either side. Main issue is i want the big 29" monitor for my main view and then the two 24" for the peripheral's on the side. Will this work? If so, which monitors would you guru's suggest for this setup with about a $1200 budget. 120hz 24" or 60hz 24" to match the 29"? Or should i get a pair of 144hz Asus 24" to go on either side of the 29". The main focus will be Battlefield 4 game play.

All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

29" are the same height as 23" and you will likely find 1x29" is wide enough but too short. Better off getting a single 27" 1440p monitor like the Qnix QX2710 (Review) which can overclock to at least 96hz (info).

29" are the same height as 23" and you will likely find 1x29" is wide enough but too short. Better off getting a single 27" 1440p monitor like the Qnix QX2710 (Review) which can overclock to at least 96hz (info).

Ok so you suggest a single 27" with the 2 24" on eother side instead of the 29" ultrawide as the main display?

Thanks for your input! Shopping is hard!!

1x 27" only, especially if you choose an over-clockable monitor like the Qnix I linked. 1440p+high fps requires major PC power (2x 670/7950 minimum). It seems your eyefinity/multi-monitor knowledge is lacking, suggest you start researching or just abandon the idea now. The best 27" 1440p monitors easily out class all others in terms of image quality and 27" PLP set-ups don't really work.

Last edited:
OP:

Be very careful about getting non-identical monitors for your Eyefinity/nVSurround layout. 24" monitors are 92PPI, the 29" is 96PPI, the 27" 108PPI. 4PPI may not sound like much but I certainly notice the difference.

Also note that the 27" 1440p is nearly 4 megapixels, twice that of a 1080p monitor and 40% more than the 29". You didn't state your CPU and GPU(s), 6-8 megapixels is a lot of screen to drive. It needs lots of VRAM and a lot of CPU/GPU to drive that many pixels unless you turn down the eyecandy way down. Realistically you are looking Crossfire/SLI.

Finally, if you are thinking about going PLP - *DON'T*. Eyefinity/SLI does not support PLP at all. Unless you only want to game on the center monitor forget PLP. Check this conversation I had with "dtfer" regarding this subject:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1450947&page=39

Start at post #770 and read the thread, it has quite a lot of information that is still valid even after nearly a year. You'll have a much better understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to do multimonitor gaming - I use 3x30" 7680x1600. What you have to remember is that if you don't do your homework you'll either have horrible results that forces you to disable 2 monitors to get a decent framerate or worse you'll have a setup that can game *ONLY* on the center monitor no matter what. Once you pass 1080p 60Hz gaming you need to drop serious coin for a playable solution.

1x 27" only, especially if you choose an over-clockable monitor like the Qnix I linked. 1440p+high fps requires major PC power (2x 670/7950 minimum). It seems your eyefinity/multi-monitor knowledge is lacking, suggest you start researching or just abandon the idea now. The best 27" 1440p monitors easily out class all others in terms of image quality and 27" PLP set-ups don't really work.

My multi monitor knowledge is just fine, the only question i had was will the 29" work with a couple 24" on the sides.

My first plan is 3 of the Asus 24" VG248QE screens with the 144hz refresh. I think that is what i will get. As far as my machine goes, i have two gigabyte 760GTX 4gb cards in sli right now on a dell 2405 fpw. I was just hoping i could get a larger main monitor and 2 smaller side ones to work but since it isnt a good idea ill just get the 3 asus's and call it a day.

Thanks guys.

My understanding is that to do it right you need 20x30x20. I dont think the 29" will match correctly with the 24s. Better to go 3x24 or 3x27. Of course that doesn't allow one big screen and two smaller on the sides for peripheral view like the OP wanted though.

Back