Moto X $299 via Republic Wireless no-contract Monthly plans costing $5, $10, $25, $40

Supersnake

[H]ard|Gawd
Republic Wireless is selling the Moto X for $299 with no contract. The phone has a ROM locked into Sprint and you have to use Republic's no-contract, monthly plans.

$5 WiFi Only:
WiFi only means unlimited talk, text and data—but only on WiFi. Outside of WiFi, your device won’t be able to connect to cellular service.

$10 WiFi + Cell Talk & Text:
Unlimited talk and text on WiFi and cellular, and unlimited data on Wi-Fi only.

$25 WiFi + Cell + 3G:
Unlimited talk, text and data on WiFi, plus 3G cellular.

$40 WiFi + Cell + 4G:
Unlimited talk, text and data on WiFi, plus 4G cellular.

$299
Republic Wireless is a prepaid, no-contract service so a billing cycle is 30 days. If you wish, you can change your plan twice per month.

See this ZDnet article and the PhoneDog review

Addendum:
Throttling after 5G of non WiFi data.
Choice of textured Black or White only.
Currently running Android 4.2
The phone has a no redialing, seamless transition from WiFi to a Sprint tower when you are on the phone.

Last edited:
So its basically like t mobiles WiFi calling feature which I use at home since it really saves battery life on my S3. The plans are dirt cheap. $10 for unlimited calling and text, I wonder how good the voice is when calling tho considering you can do this with any smartphone and Google voice for free

So its basically like t mobiles WiFi calling feature which I use at home since it really saves battery life on my S3. The plans are dirt cheap. $10 for unlimited calling and text, I wonder how good the voice is when calling tho considering you can do this with any smartphone and Google voice for free

What you wrote about being able to voice connect through Google voice for free is true.
Republic Wireless (RW) covers that feature in their $5 plan, however it is reported that RW does this with less chance of setup confusion or possible software conflicts, should said conflict arise.

+ Voice quality is reportedly good if you accept what RW wrote in their FAQ. https://republicwireless.com/faqs
+ ZdNet wrote "I found their WiFi calling service to provide good quality calls and the handoff to cellular worked well in my testing".
- LapTopMag wrote "We made a call to a person on a land line while on Wi-Fi, then walked away from our router to transition to cellular and didn't notice any disruptions. That said, audio quality was much better over cellular than Wi-Fi, which sounded a bit tinny. Wi-Fi calling also resulted in a slight delay, which caused us to occasionally talk over our caller".

Last edited:
Considering this as my next contract or lack thereof.

Anyone have the X and hows it going. Hows the coverage city and rural environments.

the $25 plan is DIRTTTT CHEAP.

The only real important thing holding me bak here is a couple of long term reviews from customers and whether this is worth it to ditch my current grandfathered unlimited data plan for this where I`d be saving alot.

Considering this as my next contract or lack thereof.

Anyone have the X and hows it going. Hows the coverage city and rural environments.

the $25 plan is DIRTTTT CHEAP.

The only real important thing holding me bak here is a couple of long term reviews from customers and whether this is worth it to ditch my current grandfathered unlimited data plan for this where I`d be saving alot.

Following a PhoneDog video review, a viewer posted this in the comments section:
"Love the service it works as good as any as it roams on Verizon if no signal on Sprint for phone calls only. Sprint LTE very limited areas and there 3G is the slowest out of all 4 mayor carriers. But Wifi calling works Amazing highest wifi quality i heard and love that it switches with out ending a call".

I would advise you to give serious consideration to what he wrote regarding Sprint delivering slow 3G service.

Here in the Las Vegas area Sprint 3G data speed is atrociously slow. Complaints are being sent to Sprint from Vegas taxi drivers and residents accessing their 3G from various locations and reporting 0.26, 0.39, and 0.95 Mbps downloads.

Sprint replies:
Thank you for the speed test information. Looking at some of the speeds some are slow and some are within the standard range for 3G service. I will still submit all of the locations that you provided to have the techs take a look and see if there is anything they can do before your upgrades are complete. All I can add is that we are working as quickly as possible to complete the upgrades and improve the service nationwide.
- Sprint Social Care Team

Just be sure you have acceptable Sprint 3G speeds or have established LTE connectivity in your area before purchasing this.

Last edited:
The problem with this is if you use data. Sprints data speed is shit. I have no issues what so ever with t mobile data speed and their WiFi calling put Google voice to shame.
I'm going to pass on this considering I only pay $25 a month now on t mobile and I still have a capable phone

...ROM locked into Sprint and you have to use Republic...
Is it just me or does this plan make no sense? The whole point of going off contract is being free to change if you don't receive the service you want.

Is it just me or does this plan make no sense? The whole point of going off contract is being free to change if you don't receive the service you want.

It certainly is not a typical off contract offering is it? From a marketing and consumer perspective it is a novel offering.

Consider this, right now on the Sprint web site you can purchase a Moto X for $0.00 with their contract. On Amazon you can purchase an unlocked, completely off contract and free to change, Moto X for $529.21.

Republic Wireless took a novel marketing approach and chose an in between price point of $299 and offers a set of competitively low priced monthly plans ranging from $5 to $40.

Last edited:
The problem with this is if you use data. Sprints data speed is shit. I have no issues what so ever with t mobile data speed and their WiFi calling put Google voice to shame.
I'm going to pass on this considering I only pay $25 a month now on t mobile and I still have a capable phone

I've had a republic wireless account now for about 2 years. They usually only had one phone, first was a cheap LG, now a Motorola Defy xt, and they're adding a moto x. When they added the Defy, they cancelled being able to use the Lg, so we all had to buy the new motorola. I'm wondering if we'll have to all upgrade to the moto x now. Hope not.
But the sprint speed issue is area dependent. i'm just west of NYC, and sprint speed is just as good as verizen where i live and work. so make sure you test out the phone or ask someone you know how their sprint service is where you will be using it. I've been lucky, and so far, most everywhere I go I get very good sound when calling and good connections with sprint's coverage.

I've had a republic wireless account now for about 2 years. They usually only had one phone, first was a cheap LG, now a Motorola Defy xt, and they're adding a moto x. When they added the Defy, they cancelled being able to use the Lg, so we all had to buy the new motorola. I'm wondering if we'll have to all upgrade to the moto x now. Hope not...

Within the Republic Wireless FAQ :

I’m already a Republic member. Are there any special incentives on purchasing the new service plans?
Yes! Existing Republic members who purchased a Motorola DEFY XT on or before Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. EST are eligible for a Beta 10% discount off their new monthly service plan when they purchase the Moto X or any future phones for the lifetime of their relationship with Republic. This discount also applies to any Republic LG Optimus users. Note: The discount doesn’t apply to the entire account, it only applies to each PHONE you upgrade to a new pricing plan. You must be a current Republic member to receive this discount.

I’m a current Motorola DEFY XT Republic member. Are there any special incentives on purchasing the Moto X?
Yes. If you own a Motorola DEFY XT purchased through Republic (or any other provider, for that matter), you are eligible for Motorola’s $100 Jelly Bean Rebate, which comes in the form of a prepaid Visa card to those who make a qualified purchase of a Moto X phone. To get the rebate, you must provide Motorola with proof of purchase of your new Moto X and mail in your DEFY XT.

Last edited:
That is just odd. If it was me I'd just spend the extra 49 dollars and get the nexus 5.

The problem with this is if you use data. Sprints data speed is shit.

(cut) i'm just west of NYC, and sprint speed is just as good as verizen where i live and work. so make sure you test out the phone or ask someone you know how their sprint service is where you will be using it....

This will be my last post in this thread as I did not know that the Sprint connection problems were this prevalent. The below subject headings and the two unedited posts were extracted from the Sprint maintained community web page. https://community.sprint.com

As was stated before by myself and others "Verify how the Sprint service is in your area before considering the offer".

Text fails call fails 19426
Not completing connections/slow texts?
Service Problem
Re: Service Issue in Appleton, WI
Re: Absolutely Livid about dropped calls and network connection
Frustrated 6 week old Sprint Customer
Re: SPRINT Chicago area service issues since April 2012 with no end in sight, and WIMAX 4G discontinuation
This is my final straw with sprint!! I AM LIVID
Service Problems! >:-|
Network issues in 60901 all thanks to "upgrades"
Terrible service EVERYWHERE in the Bay Area. What is going on??
Re: What is up with the service ( or sld I say NO_SERVICE ) in the Dallas/Ft Worth Area ....... Grrrrrr
Re: Is there a timetable on the 4G LTE rollout for Columbus, Oh?
Re: Why is my phone on 1?
Re: Sprint Adding 4G LTE to More Than 20 Additional Cities in Coming Months
Re: SPRINT Chicago area service issues since April 2012 with no end in sight, and WIMAX 4G discontinuation

Sprint not repairing 3G towers while 4G LTE is installed?
This question is Not Answered.
davidg9035 Newbie
davidg9035 Nov 8, 2013 3:16 AM

I was told that the reason I'm getting CONSTANT dropped calls is because Sprint is not incurring the expense to repair inoperable or partially operable 3G/4G towers in lieu of changing everything over to 4G LTE. This creates a huge conundrum for me. No one at Customer Service can give me even a remote idea about when the towers will be fixed, so in the mean time I am constantly dropping important business calls. Today was a TYPICAL day using Sprint service. I made or received a total of 44 calls today. Of those calls, over half were redials to reconnect lost calls. Yesterday - 57 calls, 30 of those were redials. I can be talking with a very clear signal and the phone then makes a sound as if I had just pressed the hangup button and the call is lost. This happens dozens of times every day, in every location I drive, sit, stand or walk. I travel constantly between Salt Lake City, Las Vegas and Southern California. It doesn't matter where I am; it's all the same. I'm also constantly being switched to "roam" mode and the reception is even worse. Bars constantly shoot up to 5 and then drop to 0 as I stand in one place in both modes. Today was particularly fun, since I was on an important business conference call at my home and I couldn't talk for more than 20 seconds before the phone would simply drop. Those on the other end couldn't hear me speak, even when I was actually able to connect. So, after several attempts to carry on a short conversation and out abject frustration, I got in my car and DROVE to my client's house so I could talk with them in person.

If this were a one-time occurrence, I could understand. But this has happened every day since I upgraded from my old HTC Evo 4G to the new HTC One. At first, I thought it was the phone. So I actually returned to the Sprint Store and exchanged the phone for a different one. Turns out that the phone was fine. It's the network that's horrible. HTC One doesn't support 4G like my old Evo did, so it only has access to 3G until the 4G LTE network is up. Problem is... LTE is not up and, from what I can tell, at the current rate the towers are getting installed, we should have a completed 4G LTE network somewhere around 2025. I even went to the Sprint Store and one of the local techs pulled up the map showing that 2 of the 3 towers that faced my direction at my home were completely down and the other was working at 10-20% capacity. "Wonderful!", said I. "When will the towers be repaired?" "Well, sir, turns out the towers are not going to be repaired because, rather than repair the old towers, we're going to replace them with LTE", responds the tech. "When will that happen?", I inquire. "Well", he said, "probably in the next few months, but if you call the Customer Service line, they may be able to give you a better idea."

Probably?.... right. If the HTC One wasn't such an expensive phone, I would have thrown it against a brick wall in frustration. So I called customer service and they tell me that they still don't know when the towers will be up, but "we're very sorry for the inconvenience and let me give you a small credit on your phone service for your trouble." Great. Now my Sprint service only costs triple the amount of money my room mate is paying for pre-paid service that never drops a single call. I'm at a complete loss as to what to do.

Nov 27, 2013
I get absolutely terrible service everywhere in the SF Bay Area. Whether it be Oakland, San Francisco, Dublin...anywhere, my data speeds are pathetically slow, and I can barely ever make calls. Even when I was in Southern California for the weekend, my call got dropped FOUR times while I was in Pomona. I work in two different locations in Dublin, CA and they BOTH drop calls on a daily basis. If I walk inside, the call drops basically instantaneously, and I literally cannot even get a 3G connection while indoors. The service is absolutely terrible. I live in Danville, and while at home, my battery just drains because it is constantly searching for more service. My PEAK speeds on 3G have been 0.3 mbps since I cannot even get any LTE at all. I want to get out of this miserable contract. I will take my money to either Verizon or T-Mobile. I can't stand any more of Sprint's service. I've complained multiple times and have gotten ZERO resolutions. Sprint's answer EVERY TIME: "We are currently building out new towers and service may go out occasionally." Well "occasionally" has been going on for months now and I'm completely done. Sprint's customer service and phone service is equally as terrible.

Why can't ANYTHING be done about this? If it doesn't, i'm leaving.

Is that going to be 350 as 150 off new msrp of 500 or 450 as 150 off "original price" of 600?

Back