Twitch Removes PS4's Playroom From Directory

HardOCP News

[H] News
Once again....this is why we can't have nice things.

"We removed Playroom content from the directory because a majority of it was non-gaming related," a Twitch spokesperson tells Joystiq. "We will look into adding it back as PS4 owners become more familiar with the games-only focus of Twitch content. In the meantime, you can view all of the amazing gameplay from PS4 broadcasters in this directory page on Twitch."

Twitch IMO is becoming like youtube, people would do any video just to gain followers and try to make a few bucks. Only problem is that twitch was supposed to be about gaming.

Honest question here.. do that many people actually enjoy watching others game in realtime that it's now a feature on consoles?

Occasionally, I'll watch some short clips of gameplay to better judge if I'd like a particular game; or to nostalgically watch parts of an old game without having to dig out and hook up an old console; or when I'm desperate and completely stuck on a task in a particular game.

Never got a kick out of watching full walkthroughs or anything, as I'd much rather spend the same amount of time just playing the game myself.

Honest question here.. do that many people actually enjoy watching others game in realtime that it's now a feature on consoles?

Occasionally, I'll watch some short clips of gameplay to better judge if I'd like a particular game; or to nostalgically watch parts of an old game without having to dig out and hook up an old console; or when I'm desperate and completely stuck on a task in a particular game.

Never got a kick out of watching full walkthroughs or anything, as I'd much rather spend the same amount of time just playing the game myself.

Depends on the person. Watching stuff from Rooster Teeth is funny. I watch all the game play videos they do. I was part of a group that did some videos and streams. We had people that enjoyed watching them.

They stopped it because there was X rated stuff being put on there

I actually watch Twitch users play from time to time, especially seeing them play games I don't have (and don't have demos to).

I'm also part of a Twitch gaming group, we tend to playcast and stream several different games when time allows. We've been too busy to stream lately though-- two of us have medical conditions including me; one has been unknowingly forced to work 6 days a week; another is on leave from the Norwegian Army for the holidays; and the other is on a second job. But, when we're free, we stream games when we can.

The last game I was streaming was Final Fantasy 6, so I mostly stream older games-- PC and consoles via emulators. (I'm 33 and I am that old, but I don't mind sharing games of my childhood and some indie games reflecting them.) Another streams his random happenings in Skyrim, and other AAA games like Bioshock and Deadspace. One streams mostly indie games. The other three stream themselves in multiplayer PC games. And, one that doesn't belong to the group, but she streams whatever JRPG game she plays on her PS3 through her Roxio Game Capture device.

In the end, you meet a lot of new and interesting people. Our Twitch group grew by one a few months ago that we met through Twitch, and now this person plays D&D with us on Sundays. :D The original Twitch group I'm in all met in EVE Online many years ago and decided to form this. We don't stream enough to make money, mind you. My other friend who's not part of the group, I met through Final Fantasy XI as far back as 2005. I've been following her streaming for the last two years. We play MMOs and KMMOs (Korean MMOs) together, as well as other F2P Korean games-- Pangya, Elsword, etc.

The many popular Twitch streamers make upwards of $3000 to $10,000 (or more I believe) on ad revenue if you stream often and regularly. One guy practically lives off this doing this. Yes, you CAN pretty much work playing games-- doing your own independent game reviews, play testing, and playcasting and streaming games you own. You just have to be very sociable and be very good interacting with people, but most importantly of all a charismatic personality, fun and playful one too. A combination of this is a win-win situation for you if anyone can do that. If you're successful, you can even make money out of this. You can look at a lot of the Youtubers on Youtube who make a living just by posting Youtube videos of them playing games. In the end, you'll need viewers and a captive audience. Once you got a dedicated following, you win.

I have a kid who works for me that rarely to never plays new games. He just watches other people play them on Twitch.

I don't personally get the point of it all....but whatever. To each their own.

I have a kid who works for me that rarely to never plays new games. He just watches other people play them on Twitch.

I don't personally get the point of it all....but whatever. To each their own.

It's the same question as to why someone would watch Jessica Black who sang that [in]famous song "Friday."

Or, why do many of us watch cat videos on Youtube like Maru the Cat?

Or, why do so many idiots watch other idiots do stupid things on Youtube?

Or, why do some of us watch someone named Kurt try to travel to The End of the Minecraft world for charity?

Or, why do viewers watch Ray William Johnson?

Or, why do people like myself use Youtube to find new music like Lindsey Stirling and Kina Grannis and refuse to use the radio to do that?

Or, why do people like myself watch Vocaloids like Hatsune Miku, GUMI, and Kagamine Rin, or the annual MMD Cup contests regularly?
(Note: These are my top 3 favorite Vocaloids. :D )

Or, why do people like to listen to a guy, SmoothMcGroove do a-capella remakes of old video game music?
(Note: Start with "Bloody Tears" and go from there.)

Or, why do people watch Rooster Teeth and shows like Red vs. Blue or RWBY?

Or, why do we watch someone named after a delicious breakfast item play games for us to watch?

Or, why do we watch some guy play League of Legends for us regularly?

Or, why watch someone do speed runs for that matter?

Heck, my group has hit 2000 viewers one night, and we have around 48 followers. Small, yes, but like I said, we stream when we can.

Why do all these things?

When you consider that the most popular shows on television are Honey BooBoo, Dancing with the Stars, The Voice, Shahs of Sunset, Cops, Moonshiners, Yukon Men, The Simpsons; if not including better shows like Masters of Sex, American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, Games of Thrones, Doctor Who, Almost Human, Sleepy Hollow, the now ended Breaking Bad, Dexter, and Mad Men, there seems to be better things to watch on Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, and Twitch I can watch when I WANT TO on MY OWN TIME.

Also, when there are really bad musicians and singers that like to show off for fame and money instead of actual musical talent like Miley Cyrus or that the majority of pop radio stations pale so shallowly in comparison to pop music of yore, you realize that there are better singer and songwriters, and musicians on Youtube and BandCamp and other indie music-related websites.

Again, why do all this?

Because these people, these individuals provide us a good sense of enjoyable entertainment without having to pay Charter/Comcast/Time Warner/"insert-your-cable TV-provider-here" for $25/month for HBO or $10 to $25-something for a cable TV show that fails to entertain us daily with half-ass TV shows.

Or, why pay XM Radio nearly $20 a month what I could listen to for free (more or less) on Youtube, Pandora or Spotify and listen to the artists and music I want to listen to and buy the music tracks I like?

TL;DR - They're just another form of entertainment.

It's the same question as to why someone would watch Jessica Black who sang that [in]famous song "Friday."

The question still remains, assuming you have money and aren't just window shopping; why watch videogames instead of actually playing them? Videogames aren't TV/Music. There is a distinct element of interaction that these viewers simply throw away, an element that for many games (most of the good ones), defines the game. An element that simply watching someone experience would never truly understand.

The question is why bother getting only a portion of the experience when you could get the same thing with nearly the same effort?

You could go further to say that Twitch viewers, along with the generalized popularity of videogaming as a whole; is creating these new sort-of-but-not-really genre of "games", which have absolutely minimal actual gameplay. Basically "Choose your own Adventure" / "Interactive movies". The "real" gamers hate them, yet the general populous (and apparently reviewers) love them.

Such a huge divergence emerging of interactivity between games...

TLDR: Why not just play the game and get full experience?

The question still remains, assuming you have money and aren't just window shopping; why watch videogames instead of actually playing them? Videogames aren't TV/Music. There is a distinct element of interaction that these viewers simply throw away, an element that for many games (most of the good ones), defines the game. An element that simply watching someone experience would never truly understand.

The question is why bother getting only a portion of the experience when you could get the same thing with nearly the same effort?

You could go further to say that Twitch viewers, along with the generalized popularity of videogaming as a whole; is creating these new sort-of-but-not-really genre of "games", which have absolutely minimal actual gameplay. Basically "Choose your own Adventure" / "Interactive movies". The "real" gamers hate them, yet the general populous (and apparently reviewers) love them.

Such a huge divergence emerging of interactivity between games...

I'm not sure why you think that everyone who plays "X" game is going to have the same experience as someone else, and that's the difference. For example, League of Legends - I play it, I'm not god tier like pro players, but fucking hell do I love watching high-end competitive LoL play. It's enjoyable and suspenseful.

That's why these streams exist. They're entertainment. I don't know why this is such a difficult concept to grasp for people.

Probably same reason people like to watch football instead of play it.

Or perhaps watching the game itself is just the starting point, then it becomes a reason for people with a similar point of interest to connect. In old TV "couch potato" terms it would be the equivalent of watching a reality show where you interact with the actors as well as other viewers from the comfort of your home.

If I turn that around, I put of it this way: If I consider the viewers that watch me play old 8-bit, 16-bit or 32-bit games, a lot of viewers actually never played those games or those classics. Many are not even interested in those games. But, they find it entertaining just watching someone else play so they don't have to spend time it playing the game themselves that they're not interested in. You'll be surprised to know that many are never interested in older games from 90s and earlier consider they're graphically subpar to modern 360 and PS3 games. But, I don't mind sharing the games I enjoyed playing in my childhood; these were fun to me and if I get viewers to watch me to play maybe it'll change their minds, or they'll talk to me about the game and what it's about.

As Avalon above said perfectly, they're just another form of entertainment. I watch LoL playthroughs and other matches because I am terrible at League. I've played for 3 years and nowhere near as good as other players with thousands of kills to their name or speak LoL parlance. My best character is Caitlyn because that's the only character I've gotten used to play. I watch these other players mostly just to see if I can learn anything from them, and it's fun to watch them.

I watch others play games I don't have, well, many times I don't have the money to buy those games to play them myself. It's also interesting to see how people approach different objectives and goals in the same I game I own. "Maybe there's another way to approach this?" and so on.

In the end, it's just entertainment. Most especially if you watch with a good lively personality and makes the stream or recording interesting to watch, you actually stay for a while and join in the livestream. These are people are just simply enjoyable to watch.

(Sorry for the grammatical mistakes, I'm a bit nauseated this morning after having chemo yesterday. Not good to type when I'm trying to hold back last night's dinner.)

Back