Dell U2414h

push

Limp Gawd
Just ordered two of em with the stand, we'll see how they are. Dell claimed they are PWM free. I guess we'll see.

http://i.dell.com/images/global/products/root/dell-u2414h-hero.jpg[/i
[img]http://www.txcesssurplus.com/catalog/29501-front.jpg[/i

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure. These aren't 1920x1200 like the 2413. Dell claims it's a flicker free (PWM free) panel, but I will be testing that as soon as I receive them. I'm kind of expecting them to be a nicer version of the p2414h.

Ugh. Can't a 24" come out that can match the 27" in aesthetics and anti glare coating?

Having to make do with a 24" P series model that came out recently because of this.

I get mine 12/5 at the latest and will let everyone know. They sound promising.

ilkevinli
Yes, like most of Dell's monitors, U2414H has soundbar support.
V062mpQ.jpg

WtkEzKf.jpg

Has anyone had his hands on this monitor, yet? First impressions? What panel is used? :)

Thanks for that. The only thing is it's not mentioned in the specs or in the manual. I also don't see the power port for the sound bar in those pics.

ilkevinli
Yes, like most of Dell's monitors, U2414H has soundbar support.
V062mpQ.jpg

WtkEzKf.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that. The only thing is it's not mentioned in the specs or in the manual. I also don't see the power port for the sound bar in those pics.
The "customization options" for the monitor allow for their sound bar, so I'd imagine it's supported. I will post unboxing pictures as well as a review tomorrow once I receive it. First thing on the list will be to identify if it is truly PWM free. Then I'll give my first impressions.

The only thing is it's not mentioned in the specs or in the manual.
Not quite true...

w36k.png

U2414H product page

AC511 product page

I will post unboxing pictures as well as a review tomorrow once I receive it.
Nice. But, IMHO, an unboxing video would be much more valuable, since there are quite a lot of unboxing pictures on the web. Most of them are on chinese websites, but still.

Anyway, i'll be eagerly looking forward to the PWM info, and your overall impressions about this model.

Not quite true...

w36k.png

U2414H product page

AC511 product page

Nice. But, IMHO, a video of the unboxing would be much more valuable, since there are quite a lot of unboxing pictures on the web. Most of them are on chinese web-sites, but still.

Anyway, i'll be eagerly looking forward to the PWM info, and your overall impressions about this model.
Will do a video then :) Let me know if you have any special requests.

Guys I know the sound bar can be mounted to the monitor. That question is wether the monitor has the port to power the sound bar. Not all of Dells monitors have that port. Some monitors require the sound bar to be powered by a power "brick" plugged into an outlet. This is in the tech specs for the U2413:

DC power connector for Dell Soundbar (AX510)

That's what I'm looking for.

Guys I know the sound bar can be mounted to the monitor. That question is wether the monitor has the port to power the sound bar. Not all of Dells monitors have that port. Some monitors require the sound bar to be powered by a power "brick" plugged into an outlet. This is in the tech specs for the U2413:

DC power connector for Dell Soundbar (AX510)

That's what I'm looking for.
Will check for said port tomorrow.

So, it appears there is no PWM in use at all from even < 20%. Bezels are pretty damn small. Really sharp colors. There is some IPS glow, but I've seen worse. Full report later. No power port for audio, only an audio out port and USB 3.

Thanks for the update. Can you post some pics ?

So, it appears there is no PWM in use at all from even < 20%. Bezels are pretty damn small. Really sharp colors. There is some IPS glow, but I've seen worse. Full report later. No power port for audio, only an audio out port and USB 3.

Pardon the wiring mess, haven't had a chance to clean it up quite yet.

IMG_09691_zps92623b4b.jpg

IMG_09741_zps74c10e2b.jpg

IMG_09751_zps984de3d4.jpg

So far so good. How do you test for PWM by the way?

Here's the list of things that i would like to know:
1) What's your impression about its anti-glare coating? Is it light, hard or semi-glossy? Does it add any graininess or dirtiness to an image?
2) Does it have any sign of cross-hatching?
3) Can you check color accuracy of an sRGB preset mode? I believe that's the one that is precalibrated to Delta E of <4. Check both units, if it's possible, please.
4) Touch sensitive buttons... Have you got any issues with them? Are they responsive enough?
5) What's the minimum white luminance with the default contrast value in sRGB preset mode? I mean, with the brightness set to "0" in the OSD. The default setting for contrast is 75, i believe.
6) Backlight bleeding on a completely black screen. Photos in a dark room (or maybe even a video?), and measurements of the actual brightness values in 9 points would be very much appreciated. Again, both units, please. If that's not too much to ask, of course.

Last edited:
So far so good. How do you test for PWM by the way? So far just the simple hand test, I'm in the process of doing the "line test" to confirm and so far so good, but the same testing against any other PWM monitor has been pretty darn reliable. At least for monitors that have PWM that is relatively lower in frequency.

Here's the list of things that i would like to know:
1) What's your impression about its anti-glare coating? Is it light, hard or semi-glossy? Does it add any graininess or dirtiness to an image? It's definitely lighter than the 2412m, it reminds me a lot of the p2414h AG, very unobtrusive.
2) Has it any sign of cross-hatching? I have not seen any cross hatching
3) Can you check the accuracy of the factory calibration of an sRGB preset mode? I believe that's the one that is precalibrated to Delta E of <4. Check both units, if it's possible, please. Certainly, that will likely come tomorrow though.
4) Touch sensitive buttons... Have you got any issues with them? Are they responsive enough? I forgot at first that it had the touch sensitive buttons. It took a few times getting used to, but they aren't bad. Much better than my old monitors physical buttons.
5) What's the minimum white luminance with the default contrast value in sRGB preset mode? I mean, with the brightness set to "0" in the OSD. The default setting for contrast is 75, i believe. Will check tomorrow
6) Backlight bleeding on a completely black screen. Photos, and measurements of the actual brightness values in 18 points would be very much appreciated. Again, both units, please, if that's not too much to ask of course. Will get this tomorrow as well

Sorry just got done with some BF4, the game played just as well as my older TN panels (Acer x203W).

I'll get some bleed pics before I head off and have to do "adult" things.

Long exposure left monitor
IMG_09761_zps930b87eb.jpg

Long exposure right monitor
IMG_09771_zps6b0edc16.jpg

Probably a more realistic picture with "regular" exposure.

IMG_09851_zpseaae2daa.jpg

Probably a more realistic picture with "regular" exposure.
Judging by the excessive glow of the power LEDs, one can assume that even the very last shot is overexposed. But thanks anyway. You've been very helpful so far.

Last edited:
Judging by the excessive glowing of the power LEDs, one can assume that even this (very last) shot is overexposed. But thanks anyway. You've been very helpful so far.
It is, but it's the best I can do so far with my non-slr. I'm going to do much more work in providing info tomorrow. Been focusing on getting it all setup to my liking and unfortunately had to tend to some work issues earlier. Will have much more detailed info tomorrow!

So I think I may have found some cross hatching on the 2nd monitor. There is a horizontal band that goes across the screen about a 1/3rd of the way up. You kinda have to look for it and I don't notice it at all during normal use, so I'm contemplating living with it. You can faintly see it here. Look about a 3rd of the way up the screen and you can see a faint hand and can follow it most the way across.

20131205_175608_zps96pzmayg.jpg

What software (free preferably) can I use for the other measurements? The software that comes with the i1 display pro is pretty limited.

What software (free preferably) can I use for the other measurements? The software that comes with the i1 display pro is pretty limited.

Frankly, I have no idea. :eek:
I was convinced, that you already know how to do all those measurements, after you posted those pics with color temp and brightness uniformity.

Can you, in the meantime, provide us with a "line test" on shutter speed of about 1/20-1/25s at different brightness levels (100%, 50%, 0%), as described here?

Last edited:
So I think I may have found some cross hatching on the 2nd monitor. There is a horizontal band that goes across the screen about a 1/3rd of the way up. You kinda have to look for it and I don't notice it at all during normal use, so I'm contemplating living with it. You can faintly see it here. Look about a 3rd of the way up the screen and you can see a faint hand and can follow it most the way across.

20131205_175608_zps96pzmayg.jpg

That's really unfortunate.
But, all I can see here, seems to be an IPS glow. Although, the quality of the photo leaves a lot to be desired.

Sorry life has gotten in the way of me getting some really good seat time and reviewing. Yeah, the band is pretty hard to notice, and even harder to capture. I'm going to take another crack at it tonight as well as getting some of the other measurements. Still trying to figure out HCFR lol.

I will say the one big jump for me with going from TN -> IPS is that while now I have better viewing angles, it comes at the cost of the shift of brightness\IPS glow. It's weird when viewing off angle the colors are still essentially the same, but the brightness varies.

Here is a video of the effect. I just added it so it may take a few minutes for it to process.

http://youtu.be/_mnHFA2ZXPo

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.
I might be wrong, but it seems like vertical viewing angles of this monitor is slightly better than what I've seen on P2414H. I was quite disappointed with huge contrast and brightness shift on P2414H when viewing from above.

We have a few p2414h's at work, and I'd have to agree. Given, the number of monitors I have to compare against are pretty small < 4 p2414s and 2 u2414hs the vertical viewing does appear to be slightly better. Could come in handy if you plan on flipping them portrait style with a multi-monitor arrangement. I don't have anything scientific to prove that, just casual observation.

Ought to be the same panel in P2414 and U2414. But in case they did update it the way these things go if you lose viewing angles you probably gain response-time, contrast, price or something else.

How is the overdrive on the U2414? Is it possible to adjust in menus or not (Dell usually omit this feature)?

Dell has the U2414H on sale today. It's $80 off, bringing the price down to $270 each. I talked with a Dell rep and they said it's a 24-hour Green Monday sale.

Back