MPAA Revenue Up 50% As “War on Piracy” Cranks Up

HardOCP News

[H] News
Because of rampant piracy, the MPAA's revenue was only up 50% over the last two years. Once again, this is proof that piracy is NOT a victim-less crime.

The MPAA is enjoying a healthy budget increase as the group intensifies its anti-piracy operations worldwide. Over a period of two years Hollywood has significantly upped its payments to the anti-piracy group, from $41.5 million to $59.7 million. Of all 200 employees MPAA boss and former Senator Chris Dodd is the best compensated, with a salary of $3.3 million including bonuses.

1. Exaggerate a problem

2. Get large companies to believe that this problem is what is causing a decline in growth (and not a market shift or quality-of-product/service issue)

3. Profit!

Their revenues are up because this has been the best year for movies in the last twenty years. I don't even remember a time when I have had this many movies in one year that I actually wanted to see, or even half as many. I've seen nine movies this year. This is the most ever. Year after year of crappy, half-wit movies, and one glorious year of decent movies. Their revenues will be back down next year, or possibly even worse. There are too many idiots running Hollywood to ever give up on the crappy, stupid movies like the Hangover series.

The MPAA/RIAA is a mask for Hollywood to hide behind. Their business is to scare the lawsuit out of people who pirate. Scare the "Free USE" out of you too. The idea is that it's better to have a letter come in the mail that says MPAA then to say Paramount Pictures. Cause they know they have to be dicks to get their message across, and you don't want all that hate on your company name. Look at how many people hate the crap out of MPAA/RIAA. Even the people who don't pirate know they shouldn't have that kind of power.

We're aiming our hate at the wrong name.

Democrat Chris Dodd is the best compensated

And shall we list the republicans that have passed favorable bills for big business then were offered substantial job offers after office?

Seriously, drop the political partisanship crap, there are douche bags on both sides of the aisle and they revel in your ability to show more hate towards a political party than the actual issues at hand. Why put the full fury of your hate in the MPAA when you can make a jab at democrats while you're at it!

Democrat Chris Dodd is the best compensated

What exactly does him being a democrat have to do with anything? The only problem in our political system is the one-sided idealogy that is rampant in our public. If people stopped looking through their party filters, a lot could be done.

And shall we list the republicans that have passed favorable bills for big business then were offered substantial job offers after office?

What Republicans have been the CEO of the MPAA?

The previous head of the MPAA, Jack Valenti, was also a Democrat.

If you hadn't noticed, Hollywood has favored Democrats over Republicans for a long time now.

The MPAA is a professional company that works off of a small piece of a large market, justifying the cost with very convincing scare tactics. Leeching a little with big lies. Those 200 people are laughing, if a few of them don't actually believe in their presented ignorance.

Why switch to a digital download service at 99 cents a song instead of holding on to a dying buisness model when you can let someone else host the file for you and get about 6k dollars a song after the lawyers' fees?
Makes perfect sense to me.

Price of a movie: $10
Price of popcorn and a drink: $10
Sticky floors, uncomfortable seats, people around you talking on there cell phone: Free
Release after release of crappy movies: Priceless.

Price of a movie: $10
Price of popcorn and a drink: $10
Sticky floors, uncomfortable seats, people around you talking on there cell phone: Free
Release after release of crappy movies: Priceless.

You must be catching the matinee! I never get off that cheap!
Seriously though, that's the reason I wait for the Blueray anymore so I can sit in my recliner with a 2 liter of soda, box of cracker jacks, and bag of popcorn with enough butter to drop an elephant in front of a 47" lcd and 1000 watt 5.1 surround sound system.

Ender's Game is pretty good.
Really.
Its not the book, they cut way too much out.
But it was pretty cool.
Definitely worth catching a late night showing on a week day if you get the chance.

What Republicans have been the CEO of the MPAA?
I said big business, not the MPAA.

It is not a state secret that many MANY people of power have been given very nice employment packages, that conveniently appear after said person voted for favorable rules for said employer

I wonder what the figures are for payments to artists... you know, the people who actually make the music

Let's not kid ourselves. It would be impossible to list every Republican that left politics for a fat paycheck.

Enough with the politics. Seriously.

There are massively greedy fucks on both 'sides' of the same damn coin that will do anything they can for a buck. They're all crooks and anyone playing into partisan bullshit is nothing more than a short-sighted idiot.

Increase revenues by 50%, cut workforce by 20%. Our job creators in action.

Ender's Game is pretty good.
Really.
Its not the book, they cut way too much out.
But it was pretty cool.
Definitely worth catching a late night showing on a week day if you get the chance.

Well shit. I hope i'm not too disappointed.

Back