Google's Sponsored Products Could Cost You More Money

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is this really a mystery? Does anyone even click on Google's sponsored product links? I'd rather hit Amazon for a lower price and get free shipping while I'm at it. ;)

That's the contention of the Financial Times, which recently ran an analysis of various products that show up among Google search results. Five out of every six items that appeared in the sponsored items section were more expensive than those hidden deeper in the results, according to the newspaper. And on average, the sponsored products were 34 percent higher.

I noticed this stuff years ago for some stores, where by using a sponsor link, their commission was added site wide to all the prices.

It blows my mind people click sponsored links, my mind just automatically filters them out (when adblock doesn't get them which is rare).

I watched my dad search for a product and then automatically click the first sponsored link and my mind was just confused that it was actually clickable. I had to stop and think about it for a sec...

I've got my web browser tuned to filter than junk out, the worst problem with this stuff is that that people they trick are generally the old and mentally feeble. The people who can least afford to waste the money.

Back