Sony: PS4 Failure Rate More Than Double Initial Estimates

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sony has confirmed that the PS4 failure rate has jumped from .4% up to 1%. And the countdown to people freaking out over my accurate but intentionally misleading headline in 3...2....1. :D

With less than 1 percent of shipped systems affected by these problems (up from 0.4 percent in a previous claim), the number of broken systems is reportedly within the "expected range" for a product launch. While we're certainly used to new devices that ship with a few bugs in tow, that figure still leaves a lot of unhappy gamers -- one percent of the million-plus PS4 buyers would still equate to 10,000 people. Sony says it's working to get these systems replaced; let's hope it moves quickly.

I know it sucks to be one of the 1%, but it really is statistically normal for a fallout rate for new product.

I know it sucks to be one of the 1%, but it really is statistically normal for a fallout rate for new product.

You are correct. Lets hope it goes no higher than that. While I am eagerly awaiting my XB1 to arrive from the Microsoft Store via UPS this Friday, it will be rough for people to not have their consoles to enjoy with the upcoming holidays.

It's probably more than 1%. They are not going to reveal the real number of failures.

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell if the current number will remain stable over the next month plus a few days. A lot of the purchased PS4s will remain wrapped and hidden until 12/25.

But, but, but!!!!
All the fanboys and their .2% and .4% quotes!!!
They can't be WRONG can they?!
WHY would Sony lie about failure rates like MS did during the 360 crash 'n burn launch?

Seriously though, why the hell would they put the power supply in the console instead of in an external brick to keep one more heat source out?

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell if the current number will remain stable over the next month plus a few days. A lot of the purchased PS4s will remain wrapped and hidden until 12/25.

i know if i where a parent i would be testing that PS4 to make sure it worked
nothing sucks more then broken shit out of the box on xmas

But, but, but!!!!
WHY would Sony lie about failure rates like MS did during the 360 crash 'n burn launch?

Seriously though, why the hell would they put the power supply in the console instead of in an external brick to keep one more heat source out?

Because 1% is still well within industry standards and because keeping the power supply worked so well for the 360...Oh wait...

:rolleyes:

Seriously, the fanboy bullshit on both sides of the fence is getting pathetic. It is a new electronic device, it utterly sucks for those it impacts but it isn't unusual by any stretch yet. Obviously it could be indicative of a larger problem, but until that is proven Factually. all the screaming about it is just rather childish.

But, but, but!!!!

Seems to me that more folks had issues with the HDMI port.

Also, you have a PSU internal to the PC - works just fine.

And since the PS4 is pretty much a PC......

Why the Hell would you want another annoying ass power brick on your floor, or to stuff up your... cabinet, or whatever you put your console in.

Seems to me that more folks had issues with the HDMI port.

Also, you have a PSU internal to the PC - works just fine.

And since the PS4 is pretty much a PC......

But there's also an intake and exhaust fan on my PC's internal PSU where there isn't in a console.

Why the Hell would you want another annoying ass power brick on your floor, or to stuff up your... cabinet, or whatever you put your console in.

If you do have a problem with it, it's a trip to Walmart or Bestbuy for a $30 replacement instead of a 2 month RMA to get it fixed.

This is not failure over time.. this is DOA. The number is huge. Not as huge as Apple having to return 8 million iphones to foxconn ... so lets say large and the full scope is unknown. And since it is so unlikely that so many systems would outright fail .. I tend to belive more than ever that there was sabotage. Thus, there prolly is no systemic problem ... though that warm..almost hot to the touch is something to watch as we move forward. I hope the xbox launch does not have the same possible sabotage... as only 10% made at foxconn (which is indeed still a big number).

So overall I do take issue with the people trying to minimize this as a "handful" and to be expected, and other fluff offs one gets from pr people. I would also, though, just take satisfaction that many are able to exchange their ps4's right away and back to gaming. (longest real wait time I have seen from sony is 3 weeks if you can't get one back from a brick and mortar store near you.)

Now if sony would stop trying to sell there 65$ extended warranties that would help to :)

After Christmas will really tell the story. How many parents are going to be furious there kids brand new ps4 gets the red light of death on Christmas day. I think the number is higher than 1%, closer to 3% would be my guess.

30 year old consoles still work, but "next gen" can't even make it out of the box intact :p

fights-for-the-99-is-the1.jpg

Based off amazon reviews extrapolated out to their probable 50k shipped it looked more like ~2.4%. 77% review when things go bad 7% review when things are good.

I can only speak for myself but my PS4 is fine. I checked the HDMI port (it's not mis-aligned or has any bent "pins"); I can run my PS4 horizontally and vertically, it doesn't overheat and my ambient temperature gets pretty high with multiple electronics/PC running (25C+). Haven't had any crashes or anything of the sort.

Much better headline steve :)

1% doesn't sound too terrible. Is that sabotage mentioned the other day true then? If it is, they didn't get to very many consoles. Probably just 1 disgruntled foxconn employee. It is made in China right? Even tho Sony is a Japanese company.

Dude, I know alot of companys would LOVE to have only a 1% failure rate on anything.

30 year old consoles still work, but "next gen" can't even make it out of the box intact :p

Hahahahaha this is funny because it's true.

Pull out a NES, plug it in, and it works. No hardware failure, no updates, no server connection error, it just plain works.

But, but, but!!!!

If the heat dissipation is manageable, I personally prefer the power supply to be internal, be it for a console, monitor or TV. Doesn't take up additional space, and they could get pretty messy (at certain places) if all devices have an external power brick.

Hahahahaha this is funny because it's true.

Pull out a NES, plug it in, and it works. No hardware failure, no updates, no server connection error, it just plain works.

We returned two of them in 88 or 89 before we got one that would work. First one died after about an hour, and the second one wouldn't read any carts out of the box. So even electronics back then had problems.

The third one had the stupid slot issues, but that was years after we got it. I just took the top off and pulled the connector thing off and plugged the carts straight into the board.

Back