Xbox Designers Review Sony's PlayStation 4

HardOCP News

[H] News
Who better to review the PlayStation 4 than the people responsible for designing the Xbox? I think you might be surprised with what they have to say about the latest and greatest from Sony.

Even if you don't know the design consultancy Teague, you know their work--ranging from the original Polaroid camera to the interiors of almost every Boeing plane to date. They were also the firm Microsoft tapped to design their original Xbox, conceptualize controllers for the Xbox brand, and create the Xbox 360 racing wheel. Imagine our delight when they volunteered to apply their expertise in a critique of the Xbox's latest and greatest competitor, the PlayStation 4.

DAMN YOU AND YOUR CLICKBAIT TITLES STEVE! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

We all know that the PS4 is NOT the XBox so XBox designers don't know anything about the PS4 unless they only say good things.

Some good info and feedback mixed in with engineers that like to hear themselves talk.

DAMN YOU AND YOUR CLICKBAIT TITLES STEVE! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

We all know that the PS4 is NOT the XBox so XBox designers don't know anything about the PS4 unless they only say good things.
The article is mostly good things, and almost entirely about aesthetic design. It's like they did a review of a system that was shipped without any cables, so it couldn't be plugged in and turned on.

I am at a loss for what people in the comments are so up in arms over? As someone who prefers the PS4 in general, though I like both. I thought the article was pretty unbiased and presented some interesting thought points on the design.

I am at a loss for what people in the comments are so up in arms over? As someone who prefers the PS4 in general, though I like both. I thought the article was pretty unbiased and presented some interesting thought points on the design.

Console flamewars make PC elitism seem like a teaparty with crumpets and cake.

When will we see the PS4 designers post an article on the XBox One? :p

That brings us, potentially, to the final act. With cloud-based technologies promising a more invisible and integrated world, the PS4 ($399, available now) could be the last flesh-and-bone PlayStation console

Stopped reading after that. Can't take people who say that cloud gaming will replace a physical console seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait so they helped design the Xbox racing wheel no one bought? That racing wheel was terrible. There was nothing premium about the original xbox... The PS4 does look a lot like they paid homage to the PS2 slim though.

oh ffs, didn't mean to post that, can't edit, sigh

did mean to post this:

Stopped reading after that. Can't take people who say that cloud gaming will replace a physical console seriously.

That's not what he was saying, that is how you interpreted it. Cloud based gaming is in addition to what already exists. Sony has plans for cloud based gaming as well. Cloud gaming can be used in many ways. Forza just collects info about your driving for the drivatar feature thing. It can store data when your console cannot due to limited resources. Then you can use the same info elsewhere or a friend can play your likeness when you are not online. Play against yourself. Change the AI of the other drivers. Cloud gaming will change the way you play games, not replace anything.

A critical review from the guys who are bringing us the black box with vent holes. Seriously? The PS4 might just be the best looking console in ages. The Xbox One looks like it was built to prevent the RROD from ever happening again. It has more vent holes than any other console I've seen.

And their critical view of the DS4? Come one. Its pretty well accepted that the DS4 is the best controller Sony has ever made. It feels incredible , has tons of features and simplifies a lot of problems with the DS3.

I admire the design challenges with the Xbox One but to say that the PS4 "missed out on an opportunity" is downright silly.

A critical review from the guys who are bringing us the black box with vent holes. Seriously? The PS4 might just be the best looking console in ages.

Yeah, I really like the PS4's whole "black parallelogram with vent holes" approach.

I dont understand the love of the ps4 design. Frankly in most living rooms it looks out of place next to any other type of home theater equipment. Its nothing ground breaking. Its different for the sake of being different

A critical review from the guys who are bringing us the black box with vent holes. Seriously?

Nope. They designed the original XBOX, not the Xbone. You know, pretty much the pinnacle of industrial design. :eek:

So there biggest issue was the controller, which to be honest hasn't changed beyond where start and select used to be, has now got a touchpad, and a share button.

That's the least of my worries about buying a console, I want to know if the bloody thing will live longer than 3 years before failing, and we have yet to see what Microsoft will put out as a total hit, or total s#!t, hopefully they learned a lot from the last time they launched in a rush.

So there biggest issue was the controller, which to be honest hasn't changed beyond where start and select used to be, has now got a touchpad, and a share button.

Different size, different L2 & R2, direction, and joystick buttons, better ergonomics, touch pad that is also four buttons, share and option buttons, headset & headphone (3.5mm) jack, micro USB (5pin) for charging, increased/better vibration, built in speaker, LED lighting on the back, increase to 1000mAh battery from 635, and full PC support. Clearly nothing has honestly changed.

Different size, different L2 & R2, direction, and joystick buttons, better ergonomics, touch pad that is also four buttons, share and option buttons, headset & headphone (3.5mm) jack, micro USB (5pin) for charging, increased/better vibration, built in speaker, LED lighting on the back, increase to 1000mAh battery from 635, and full PC support. Clearly nothing has honestly changed.

Shhh, we frown on logic being thrown around in these type of threads..We wouldn't want the poor fan boys heads to explode or anything:D..

Sigh... I love my 360..but the PS4 design is uber cool. XBOX One I think looks worse.

Yea I just watched a video on the difference on the X1 controller and the DS4. The X1 controller barely changed. The only new thing that wasnt on there before is the addition of rumble to the triggers itself. Revised d-pad and shoulder buttons which was horribly needed. The bumpers had a huge dead zone and would stop working relatively early on with the early gen controllers and the d-pad was just bad. Still no rechargeable batteries standard, seriously they are going to be the same price and MS couldnt put in a damn battery pack? I love the ergonomics of the Xbox 360 controller for FPS though, so I am sure I will like the X1 controller. The DS4 I still havent touched since I still havent opened my PS4.

Back