New NEC EA274WMI

Judging by the price point, I wonder if this model is the sRGB 27" answer to the Professional PA series?

Or could there still be a sRGB 27" P model around the corner ?

Just got this screen to test: so far it is proving to be quite decent:

- Color temperature is pretty uniform between 6350K-6670K when calibrated to 6500K center point, the usual LED issue of warmer left side is still present but not annoyingly bad.

- Glow is minimal at 125 cd/m2, may have very slight BLB on top center but its not a sharp patch and is not even bothersome at night while watching movies, contrast ratio is acceptable at 825:1.

- No cross-hatching and very smotth AG coating with no graininess at all

-NEC states PWM frequency is 20 KHz i.e. it will affect no one at all and may be considered to not exist at all.

- Color presets are not the greatest with sRGB tending towards 6000K and 7500K being more of 6900K, easily fixed by selecting the 7500K preset and then further tuning the RGB parameters. Strangely there is also a native mode but RGB is not adjustable in either sRGB or Native mode, only in 5000K, 7500K anf 8200K modes, somewhat annoying but easily worked around as I mentioned above. Gamut is slightly larger than sRGB.

- Some banding is evident after profiling but not too bad

- Included speakers are surprisingly decent but not replacing my Klipsch Promedias or G430 headset anytime soon :)

- Has 4 USB ports including 2 USB 3.0, so is better than even the PA272W in this regard

- Priced around $800 online so about $200 higher than other competitors but you do get NEC quality and warranty

- Really wish this was a P272W with sRGB and not an EA274W as that would have meant a uniformity compensator which is sorely needed for all WQHD LED screens (ArtMarshall: please communicate this to your product development department)

- The backhousing has some empty space so as overclockers.ru mentioned about recent NEC screens, they are probably reusing the housing from older CCFL screens, not a con in my book as a tight chassis usually leads to BLB issues

Last edited:
Update: Has a weird bright spot near the bottom , size of a pencil tip if that, will try an exchange before making final decision.

Got a replacement and tested it out:

1. This is one is better with measured contrast at 1025:1 at 125 cd/m2 - very good for a WQHD IPS/PLS panel
2. Uniformity is better than the old but the left side is still a little bit warmer (most noticeable on top left corner on greyish background colors)
3. No BLB that I could see but definitely some left bottom corner glow, though still the best among the QHD screens so far.
4. NEC please take this screen, put a compensator in it and make it the P272W for $200 more!!
5. The only sRGB WQHD screen with a compensator is the S27B971D and my attempts to buy one have not been successful (both panels were broken on the back housing): Samsung only provides a 1 year warranty (repair only, no exchange!) that is not too helpful either so both units went back.
6. This screen is more uniform than the PA272W in sRGB mode with compensator set to 5 as the GB-r LED still causes noticeable redder bottom corners on that screen.
7. This may be the best sRGB WQHD screen till date, just lacking a compensator now.

From my subjective analysis, I can see no ghosting or smearing nor can I detect any movement lag. Going by recent NEC screens, it shouldn't be bad anyways.

If you still have the monitor around, could you verify whether it has 1:1 pixel mapping for lower resolutions?

I believe it should since 1:1 pixel mapping should really be standard now, but some cheaper (meaning sub $1000 range, not Korean A- single input cheap) 2560x1440 monitors omit the option for running at lower resolutions without interpolation.

Yes, I do and I can confirm it does 1:1 pixel mapping for non-native modes if selected. Just wish NEC would do away with the useless eco and human sensors and put in a compensator already along with a little less glow. Also has PIP/PBP modes that I haven't really tried much.

Last edited:
This not a wide gamut screen by any standards, just a typical sRGB panel with some over-saturation esp. in the green channel which can be easily calibrated/corrected.

I am considering the 24 inch model myself. Would you recommend your monitor to others doing any professional sRGB color critical work? I need something decent that does not cost a small fortune. This is something I plan to buy now if I could simply decide. These displays will be replaced next year with 4k models once the prices have fallen. $3k is a lot to spend on a monitor that will cost half that in a relatively short period of time. :/

__

Last edited:
Seems too close to apple cinema prices.. which resell for much higher and you can walk into an apple store and just pick one up if im not mistaken (which means you can guarantee you get one with no dead pixels and stuff)

anything wrong with my statement?

Yes, I do and I can confirm it does 1:1 pixel mapping for non-native modes if selected. Just wish NEC would do away with the useless eco and human sensors and put in a compensator already along with a little less glow. Also has PIP/PBP modes that I haven't really tried much.

Another quick question if you don't mind. Have you tried attaching limited range RGB devices (such as certain video game consoles or standalone media players) to see if the monitor can detect (or perhaps has a setting for) limited range RGB output to avoid having the "washed out" look?

The Apple Cinema/Thunder Bolt Display uses edge-to-edge glass which is extremely reflective and makes blacks look gray.

Example: Samsung S27B970D with edge-to-edge-glass and has equal-ish measured contrast (900:1) vs. a semi-glossy NEC P242W which has a semi-glossy coating. Both monitors were calibrated, set to the same brightness (140cdm/2 which many would consider too low) and have 900:1 contrast. More coating comparisons here.

Yes ive seen your posts before.. you mention it a lot. i have an asus pb278Q that has absolute crap black levels, it has no glass. Ive used an imac 27" before and the black levels look equal if not better than my asus pb278Q.

Last edited:
Yes ive seen your posts before.. you mention it a lot. i have an asus pb278Q that has absolute crap black levels, it has no glass. Ive used an imac 27" before and the black levels look equal if not better than my asus pb278Q.

That's impossible unless there is something seriously wrong (using HDMI?) with the PB278Q or you kept it's brightness cranked and the ACD's at near minimum. The PB278Q should look like the NEC in my picture.

That's impossible unless there is something seriously wrong (using HDMI?) with the PB278Q or you kept it's brightness cranked and the ACD's at near minimum. The PB278Q should look like the NEC in my picture.

I don't have any experience with glossy IPS screens, but isn't the reason the blacks appear grey on the glossy finish just that the reflection is partially obscuring the image?

From the picture, I would think that in a dark room the two should look about the same.

The ACD/ATD is not glossy, it uses edge-to-edge glass and there is a gap between the LCD and the glass which causes internal reflections while the glass vastly increases external reflections. The blacks still look much grayer vs. a non glass monitor when the lights are off.

I see.

I had always thought that a reflective finish would have the exact same effect as having glass that covered both panel and bezel before, but now I know to avoid completely-covered glass displays even more than other glossy finishes. I always look for matte (or semi-matte/semi-glossy/whatever is between strong grainy matte coatings and completely reflective glass) finishes on displays because reflections really bother me and I don't think I've ever owned a glossy display, excluding smartphones and other small devices where there isn't much choice. I guess some old CRTs as well, but it's been a really long time since I have used any CRT.

Edit: (didn't want to double post, so just adding onto this post)
To undertaker2k8 again, as a follow up question to the previous one about limited RGB, reading the manual for the ea274wmi (since there aren't many reviews from people with first hand experience) I saw that there was a "black level" option in the OSD menu. Do you know if that have anything to do with limited RGB input?

Last edited:
So basically for those wondering yes just get the mac cinema display..

New standard gamut 27" IPS LED monitor from NEC.

http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/ea274wmi-bk

I am also very interested in this monitor. Besides the potential for cross-hatching, which seems to be common possibility on AH-IPS displays, it seems to fit the bill for everything else. The price is already dropping to VP2770 territory so maybe I'll consider it. I wish there was a formal review though, I hate spending almost $800 on something that has not been tested.

I'd be interested on response time, input lag, and overall uniformity. It is nice to have another 1440p option on the table.

NEC EA274WMi Review by =DEAD= (Use Google or Chrome to Translate).

=DEAD= said:
What can I say? NEC repeats its mistakes Series EA. In order to speed up the matrix to unprecedented speeds manufacturer clearly passed all bounds. Clearly distinguishable artifacts in our tests, and just in time not take consider and seek. They exist in all its glory, although comparative photos it is difficult to understand. I'd rather let it be less than the speed of response, but no artifacts. Therefore - to check the effect of disabling Response Improve:

Presented on a comparative picture you can see that the length of the loop does not change much, but the artifacts completely disappear. After 10 minutes of operation, NEC EA274WMi I am tired of seeing his frightening shades ghosting of moving images, text pages, windows in OS environment and turned acceleration until placing the monitor in the box. What to you if you buy today's hero wish to review.

From the Conclusion:

For the rest, my opinion has not changed - VP2770-LED and EV2736WFS on set of all characteristics, pros and cons, are still the best in its class representatives

Last edited:

Thanks for posting this!

I did a quick read through and it seems like the biggest problem areas are uniformity on a dark screen and overshoot(?) when the overdrive feature is turned on. The latter is the bigger concern. It appears that it generally falls behind the VP2770, BL2710PT and the EV2736WFS, although I recall the reviewer did not care for the BL2710PT either. However if for some reason none of those were options, I'd probably still try it over the PB278Q that suffers from PWM and the U2713HM which suffers from a whole slew of issues.

A couple of points, seems like the sample that the reviewer got is closer to my first copy.

1. My contrast ration after all calibration is 965:1 not 840 as noted in the review
2. The default contrast setting of 50 leads to a lot of banding but lowering it to 49 resolves all that though it drops the contrast by about 50, the reviewer used the default setting.
3. My sample does have glow but no visible bleed, it's not the best in terms of glow (and looks bad in pictures) but real-life work even in darker environments is not an issue: Glow also reduces as the screen warms up.
4. The color uniformity while not perfect is still much better than most other WQHD screens I have tried (and I have tried almost all).

I'm very interested in this monitor as when it is on sale it is almost the same price as the VP2770. What I can't understand from the reviews is if it is fast enough for gaming with OverDrive turned off? My understanding from both reviews that have been published is that there is overshoot with OverDrive on, but I can't tell how bad it is, and I can't tell how fast the response time is with it off. Would it be bad for gaming with it off?

Glow also reduces as the screen warms up.

I noticed this on my P2414H, after a few hours of gaming.
Also the bottom border of the screen (the one with the issues) is warmer than the top.

Maybe something to do with the steel frame "relaxing" a bit? idk.

Back