EA Blames PS4 Day-One Patch For Instability Issues

HardOCP News

[H] News
EA has released a statement today saying that the crashing, freezing and bricking in all PS4 games (not just EA's) is due to Sony's day-one patch.

Sony has released a firmware update for the PlayStation 4 that is required for many features on the console. However, this update also results in stability issues while playing games on the system.

This affects all games on the PS4, including EA titles, causing crashing/freezing and non-responsive connections between the player's console and their TV Screen.

Unfortunately since it's an issue with Sony's firmware, it requires a new update to fix it. Sony is working to resolve the issue as quickly as they can. They will update their System Update page as new versions are made available, and we will keep this page updated as we find out more.

Last edited:
Are there are other games that are verified to be crashing and bricking for the PS4? Either way, it is funny to see even that EA can still be humbled by Sony.

But... but... CONSOLES SIMPLY WORK. ON PC, YOU HAVE TO LIKE, DOWNLOAD PATCHES AND ALL THIS STUFF AND THE GAME MAY FREEZE.........

But... but... CONSOLES SIMPLY WORK. ON PC, YOU HAVE TO LIKE, DOWNLOAD PATCHES AND ALL THIS STUFF AND THE GAME MAY FREEZE.........

Lolllll si true, i posted on Facebook about bf4, one of my friends got it, he replied : meh one patch and all will be well. Funny he still try to play it right now 10 hours after he's message, funny how it supposed to work and just doesn't.

The more complex a thing is, the more problems it will have. Well I mean how could Sony not test this it's all the same hardware. Lol probably dev kit don't have 1.5 and its a compatibility issue

They wanted to be more like PC's. Now they get to enjoy PC problems.

The reviews on Amazon aren't good a few dozen people are saying their day one consoles are dead and it can take weeks to get them fixed or replaced. I'm not sure how wide spread this is but Sony is going to take a beating if the numbers turn out to be huge.

The reviews on Amazon aren't good a few dozen people are saying their day one consoles are dead and it can take weeks to get them fixed or replaced. I'm not sure how wide spread this is but Sony is going to take a beating if the numbers turn out to be huge.

And what I hate is that regardless people will try to defend this type of issue by saying, this why you don't buy the 1st version of an electronic item. Which is BS. by now any device should be tested enough to be working when released. You should be able to get day one consoles and they work, day one tablets or phones and they work. There shouldn't be any of this rushing to get shit out the door, and I do mean shit. People started reporting issues with systems before day one here and Sony just ignored them. Now their release comes and people are getting bricked systems.

Lets see how the Xbox One launch goes. Hopefully they do much better.

And what I hate is that regardless people will try to defend this type of issue by saying, this why you don't buy the 1st version of an electronic item. Which is BS. by now any device should be tested enough to be working when released. You should be able to get day one consoles and they work, day one tablets or phones and they work. There shouldn't be any of this rushing to get shit out the door, and I do mean shit. People started reporting issues with systems before day one here and Sony just ignored them. Now their release comes and people are getting bricked systems.

Lets see how the Xbox One launch goes. Hopefully they do much better.
The issue here is one of the large losses for microsoft with xbox 360 was replacement consoles for their 1st 2 revisions of that console. Microsoft has the cash on hand for that sort of issue, so they can bite the bullet and do the consumer friendly thing and totally replace consoles Sony can't do that. If they have a probable manufacturing issue it could destroy that part of Sony effectively bankrupt them.

Wow the PS4 forums are going nuts with that blue light issue and with stores having 0 stock gonna be hard to get a swap.

my friend's worked fine last night did not play anything loaded 1.5 but it worked with no apparent hardware or software issues...

Either competition is spreading FUD or people are just unfamiliar with the new PS4. I experienced the flashing blue but all is normal and functional. Had read about the v1.5 firmware update so had it downloaded way prior to the swarm and on USB key ready to install per instructions here:

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps4/pc_update/index.htm

It was flashing blue after pressing power the first time to turn it off then proceeded to hold it down until it turned off and followed the rest of the instructions without issue. Never saw the orange light that was mentioned though.

Picked it up at Target this morning without much of a line although they ran out of BF4 by the time I got to the register. Took advantage of the buy two get one free to get a decent mix FIFA 14, AC4 and COD Ghosts which I exchanged for BF4 at another Target.

The issue here is one of the large losses for microsoft with xbox 360 was replacement consoles for their 1st 2 revisions of that console. Microsoft has the cash on hand for that sort of issue, so they can bite the bullet and do the consumer friendly thing and totally replace consoles Sony can't do that. If they have a probable manufacturing issue it could destroy that part of Sony effectively bankrupt them.

Don't think they will go under from this. But no matter what company it is, that isn't a good thing to lose money like that. Think it cost Microsoft about $1B from what they did to resolve the issue and giving out extra warranty and all the new systems. Hopefully that helped make them decide to test more this time around to prevent any such thing from happening like that this time around.

Sony is somewhat having to do that now. Right now they are replacing the systems, and for some they are offering them extended warranty but not for all of these people just yet. So they will be out the cost of all the systems they replace right now. Which they probably built in for some to fail, hard to tell for sure how many it actually is that have actually failed though. They probably assumed a few percent would fail and already were getting some set aside for replacements and worked the cost of that into everything so that they wouldn't be surprised to have something like 1 or 2% of them be DOA and have to worry about the replacements and the extra cost of it.

Wow the PS4 forums are going nuts with that blue light issue and with stores having 0 stock gonna be hard to get a swap.

Most will have no choice but to turn around and send it in to Sony and get their replacement in 2 - 4 weeks.

Either competition is spreading FUD or people are just unfamiliar with the new PS4. I experienced the flashing blue but all is normal and functional. Had read about the v1.5 firmware update so had it downloaded way prior to the swarm and on USB key ready to install per instructions here:

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps4/pc_update/index.htm

It was flashing blue after pressing power the first time to turn it off then proceeded to hold it down until it turned off and followed the rest of the instructions without issue. Never saw the orange light that was mentioned though.

Picked it up at Target this morning without much of a line although they ran out of BF4 by the time I got to the register. Took advantage of the buy two get one free to get a decent mix FIFA 14, AC4 and COD Ghosts which I exchanged for BF4 at another Target.

How is a flashing blue light and it not booting normal and functional? That sounds like an issue to me.

You seem to be overlooking the fact that the people complaining about this called Sony, their systems will not boot into safe mode or any other mode, and that no solution could be found other than them needing to mail their PS4 back to Sony. So don't think this is FUD or people just not knowing how the PS4 works. It is dead systems that can't be used for any function but a door stop.

Don't think they will go under from this. But no matter what company it is, that isn't a good thing to lose money like that. Think it cost Microsoft about $1B from what they did to resolve the issue and giving out extra warranty and all the new systems. Hopefully that helped make them decide to test more this time around to prevent any such thing from happening like that this time around.

Sony is somewhat having to do that now. Right now they are replacing the systems, and for some they are offering them extended warranty but not for all of these people just yet. So they will be out the cost of all the systems they replace right now. Which they probably built in for some to fail, hard to tell for sure how many it actually is that have actually failed though. They probably assumed a few percent would fail and already were getting some set aside for replacements and worked the cost of that into everything so that they wouldn't be surprised to have something like 1 or 2% of them be DOA and have to worry about the replacements and the extra cost of it.

Most will have no choice but to turn around and send it in to Sony and get their replacement in 2 - 4 weeks.

New systems my ass... If it was new system, it would have prevented me being on 4th xbox, and alot of others from being on 3rd and higher..

Towellie on Twitch just had to shut his stream down early because his ps4 disc drive wouldn't take the d, looks like its more then just a patch bricking these things. Sony might be taking a loss with these but its still cheap chinese crap built with and for the lowest common denominator that is penny smart and dollar dumb, $49.99 for star wars angry birds lol the controller might as well be shaped like a vibrator with the reaming your going to get from the overpriced software.

Wait... The PS4 was released this week?

Excuse me for being under a rock due to work... If not only EA is having issues, this might be a black eye to Sony....

Welcome to the X360 release day!

Memories ...

Hardly. The launch 360 was MIRED in errors and had RROD from day one. The PS4 is 99.4 percent fine for everyone that bought it basically. No one turns their nose up at a percentage like that.

PSN is now fully working and stable.

Now we get to see how well Microsoft prepared. I think they will fair better and that the console will largely work great. But I can only imagine seeing that Metro UI crashing when you are yelling at Kinect to do shit. Comedy gold INCOMING.

Wow, BudToker_13 on the playstation forum is living up to his username.

"things to try if you ps4 is not out puting video try dif tv try dif hdmi jiggle hdmi try safe mode hold down power till it beep once then let go and update with usb from ther if you get in it looks like the ps4 has some hdmi hand shake problomes sone tvs are not getting the singnal and sinding the right info to ps4 and that cases problomes"

LOL weed

I guess we know who's boss in that relationship.:D

My daughters is working fine. They have been playing the shit out of need for speed(EA). No issues. Very happy so far.

I love PC gaming as much as the next person, but despite problems like these, consoles are still significantly easier to deal with.

Even when a problem occurs, it's also easier to deal with on the console. You simply RMA the console instead of having to figure out a ton of stuff before taking out the offending hardware for a RMA.

New systems my ass... If it was new system, it would have prevented me being on 4th xbox, and alot of others from being on 3rd and higher..

fair point, first few might have gotten new. After that would have been fixed ones. So I guess my statement should be changed to new systems or the cost of fixing old systems to send them back out.

Sony wont go bankrupt form PS4 issues.. they are massive...

either you are being sarcastic as in how BIG BANKS can't fail, or you haven't been hearing news about sony the last couple years. They are hurting badly financially.

Wow, BudToker_13 on the playstation forum is living up to his username.

"things to try if you ps4 is not out puting video try dif tv try dif hdmi jiggle hdmi try safe mode hold down power till it beep once then let go and update with usb from ther if you get in it looks like the ps4 has some hdmi hand shake problomes sone tvs are not getting the singnal and sinding the right info to ps4 and that cases problomes"

LOL weed

great way to make fun of the disabled. Quote from his signature which is right there with what you copied : "i am dyslexic don't bather flaming for spelling and punctuation errors it will do no good and make you look like a fool for poking fun at the handicapped"

All we need now is some random story about Sony losing people's personal customer information .. again..

great way to make fun of the disabled. Quote from his signature which is right there with what you copied : "i am dyslexic don't bather flaming for spelling and punctuation errors it will do no good and make you look like a fool for poking fun at the handicapped"

And you believe him? On the internet forum? Bahahahahaha!

Amazon's reviews are scary. 425 1 star bricks as of now.This is a giant cluster fuck.

Sony wont go bankrupt form PS4 issues.. they are massive...

Damn bro, you DO read the news,,,,right??? :confused::confused:

Posting huge losses for 5 years straight is hardly "stable." The company's ONLY profitable quarter in a half a decade came from selling its own HQ buildings for a billion each a couple months ago.

And now, the biggest product launch in company history is a net loss on each console sold.

I think you might want to try out our "search" feature and do little research. This is not a knock against Sony...it's just the facts. :(

Back