R9 290/X AIB Cards

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Just talked to AMD as well as three big AIB partners and AMD as well as one big AIB told me that we should expect to see custom R9 290 and 290X cards in etail the second week of December. FYI....

Wow... cutting it awfully close to Xmas. They'll have, what, 1 week or so of sales time?

Thanks for the update. Frustrating to have to wait yet another month, but it's better than not knowing at all.

Thanks for the update, I check the forums on a daily basis just for this, are you allowed to mention which AIB partners you spoke with and which models will we see then? I'm hoping for a DCII. Thanks again.

Never talked with Asus about DCII ( Even though they were there). Talked to Sapphire , Powercolor and MSI.

1 MORE month ppl gives me enough time to complete my CCNP & then focus on BF4!!!! Maybe I should return the BF4 I bought (still sealed) not sure how it would play on GTX 570. Will non-reference cards have BF4 bundle?

Excellent news. I think I'll still wait for the reviews and maybe let them settle until the first week of January in case there are any issues.. I already have BF4 premium, so if it's bundled some lucky person is going to get my code for that one.

How much do you guys think they'll go for. $450 - $480 (290) maybe? Just curious.

I'd guess ASUS DCII will probably stay pretty close to MSRP, their 280X release is priced at $309.99 compared to $299.99 MSRP for reference.

A month away actually gives me time to save up some extra $$$ and go straight for a 290X instead of the non-x I had planned to get. Still debating to do that or just go single 290 non-x now, and CF in about a year.

Oh that's a real pain, I was hoping for sooner.

I'm ITCHING to get a rig together and that's cutting it awfully close to Christmas! Also, was this specifically relating to a US release or a global (inc. UK)?

I'm tempted to go for a pair of ref 290x cards but the temps/throttling and noise are putting me off. The 780Ti is just too expensive an alternative.

Looks like they are timing them to coincide with the release of the BF4 Mantle patch.

Things would be very nice if that was true. Sadly getting stock around that time would be a nightmare for shops. Kyle do you know if it actually is in the shops or just that retailers can get hands on it at that date ?

BTW Lorien if you own BF4 already then you do know that the game still has it fair share of problems to work out and I'm hoping that the Mantle version is without any bugs :)

Thanks for the Update Kyle.. guess we have to wait out another month for some good coolers.

If you want the best cooling you can buy reference 290/290x and enjoy great cooling and performance right now by water cooling.

ek290x.jpg

If you want the best cooling you can buy reference 290/290x and enjoy great cooling and performance right now by water cooling.

Only if you already have a WC loop, and just need one block. Because building the water setup for the card will make it way too expensive.

Only if you already have a WC loop, and just need one block. Because building the water setup for the card will make it way too expensive.

Just throwing it out there. If you can afford a card of this caliber I think many may be able to afford to water Cool it. Water cooling this card is great for performance.

Just throwing it out there. If you can afford a card of this caliber I think many may be able to afford to water Cool it. Water cooling this card is great for performance.

Water cooling is a PITA. If you come over and rig it up for me and do the maintenance, I'll take your advice and buy a current edition 290.

If you won't, I'm waiting till cards with non throttling coolers come out. I've got a Coolermaster Cosmos case, thinking the blower would be kicking up to high gear.

The coolers are already available.
http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/products/cooling/vga/accelero-xtreme-iii.html

Self contained air/water hybrid
http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/products/cooling/vga/accelero-hybrid.html

Other companies make coolers that fit as well.

Not the same thing.

These would void the warranty on most vendors cards. Some people would prefer to have a factory warrantied quiet cooling solution. These also add significant additional expense. Same is true for the water cooling suggestion.

I am waiting for a Windforce 290, personally. I don't have time to fiddle with sticking on aftermarket heatsinks, seating and reseating, etc etc anymore. Not very [H] but I'd rather play with my kid or be playing a game.

I hope to see a 8GB OC version, preferably from Gigabyte would make my day, as I plan to go 4K next year and I would need more VRAM at maxed settings, hopefully.

Has anyone heard anything new about the ETA for these yet? If we go by the dates probided they are 2 to 3 weeks off from retailers, I wonder if review units have already been sent out.

Meh, looks like I found my answer. Pre-order maybe last week of December for January release, this blows.

I hope to see a 8GB OC version, preferably from Gigabyte would make my day, as I plan to go 4K next year and I would need more VRAM at maxed settings, hopefully.

There is no reason for 8gb of memory on these cards. I'm playing at 7880x1440 and at max the card has only ever used 3.02gb of memory.

Meh, looks like I found my answer. Pre-order maybe last week of December for January release, this blows.

Where did you find this answer? This doesn't align with what Kyle said in the original post.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18560148

Hi there

So far the message is the same as I told you guys last month.

AMD have no plans to ship just parts yet until mid-end December. So that means the earliest we shall see custom design in stock shall be January, so same as what I said last month.

We might be able to get custom cards up for Pre-Order mid-end December with stock in January.

The only places which might get stock on the shelf end of December is China.

Thanks for the link. Very disappointing. The Arctic and Gelid coolers are out of stock everywhere as well.

AMD is practically begging me to buy Nvidia...

I think AMD is using this holiday season to move all those reference cooler cards out of their retailers partners before they release AIB cards.

Thanks for the link. Very disappointing. The Arctic and Gelid coolers are out of stock everywhere as well.

AMD is practically begging me to buy Nvidia...

Yeah, the wait is getting pretty frustrating quite frankly.

Water cooling is a PITA. If you come over and rig it up for me and do the maintenance, I'll take your advice and buy a current edition 290.

If you won't, I'm waiting till cards with non throttling coolers come out. I've got a Coolermaster Cosmos case, thinking the blower would be kicking up to high gear.

Didn't do anything to a watercooling loop for over 1.5 years. It was still perfectly fine. FYI, those custom cards are gonna shoot all the heat into your case, so forget about crossfire unless it's a blower type cooler.

Didn't do anything to a watercooling loop for over 1.5 years. It was still perfectly fine. FYI, those custom cards are gonna shoot all the heat into your case, so forget about crossfire unless it's a blower type cooler.

Water cooling is not for everyone. I'm not interested in doing it either. There are additional costs associated and particularly with GPUs, the block can not be used on the next generation to come along, so the costs are recurring as you upgrade. More power to you if you want to do it.

As for the heat being dumped in the case, I would hope with good airflow in the case, this can be mitigated.

Water cooling is not for everyone. I'm not interested in doing it either. There are additional costs associated and particularly with GPUs, the block can not be used on the next generation to come along, so the costs are recurring as you upgrade. More power to you if you want to do it.

As for the heat being dumped in the case, I would hope with good airflow in the case, this can be mitigated.

That would depend solely on the block that you buy.

This is from my Twitter today - direct from Roy Jones, AMD's VP of Global Channel Sales

I'm at work and most of the image hosting sites are blocked unfortunately. So yeah late this year.

http://imgur.com/juVxbUV

Back