PlayStation 4 Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
Now that people actually have their hands on the new console, reviews of the PS4 are starting to hit the web.

The PlayStation 4 appears to deliver on most of these commitments but, like the Wii U last year, the brunt of the console's most highly-lauded features are coming in hot. In fact, nearly every feature other than the ability to play retail games was enabled via a system update only a few hours before this writing.

biggest complaint so far...it feels cheap. I don't know what the case is made of, but it is really flimsy plastic. It literally bends when you push on it. :(

biggest complaint so far...it feels cheap. I don't know what the case is made of, but it is really flimsy plastic. It literally bends when you push on it. :(

I'm not sure this is a big deal. The controller needs to be sturdy and the disc tray needs to not screw up. You shouldn't have to touch any other part of the box, initial installation aside.

Im curious if heat affects that. The temp is being reported to be variable, up to 140 degrees (not sure if thats C or F) under full loads. The plastic will heat up a fair amount and seems like it would give even more. interesting, not that it really affects much at all as it mostly just sits on a shelf, unless transporting that is

Steve, you're not supposed to be bench pressing it.

It's supposed to sit on your shelf collecting dust while you collect fun.

Didn't really seem like a review to me. Just a recap of everything we know with a tid bit more of info like what the UI looks like.

Looking forward to it. An ideal complement to my PC just like the PS3.

Didn't really seem like a review to me. Just a recap of everything we know with a tid bit more of info like what the UI looks like.

No one got review units ahead of time, everyone is essentially "reviewing as they go" so they can get their reviews out there and update them as they go....kinda like consoles in general ;)

Did you see the disassembly video on the front page a few days ago? It IS cheap. They make them as cheap as possible!

I'm not discounting the value of the console though.

Fitting that level of performance into a very small package with an integrated power supply is impressive.

Steve, you're not supposed to be bench pressing it.

Lol..

Not really. Killzone maybe if you are sick of BF and rerun COD. Watch Dogs and Drive Club which wwere probably the best launch titles were delayed.

Not really. Killzone maybe if you are sick of BF and rerun COD. Watch Dogs and Drive Club which wwere probably the best launch titles were delayed.

Watchdogs will be on PC so no worries there.

The only title I'll really miss is Killzone. I have played the whole series but do not plan on getting a PS4 until they are very cheap so I'll be waiting year(s).

Anyone know of a site that has a good list of launch titles for PS4 vs Xbox One? Still not sure which one I'll be getting (if at all...).

It's basically Killzone and Knack vs Ryse and Forza.

KI and Panzer vs Reshogun and one more.

If you only care about launch titles and not past history the One has a better lineup.

This is not a blow up doll but a gaming console where everyone else will be concerned with the controller feel and ergonomics and the content displayed on the screen.

Why are people defending it's flimsy case? My external drive doesn't even bend when you push down on it. More cheap ass console shit.

Why are people defending it's flimsy case? My external drive doesn't even bend when you push down on it. More cheap ass console shit.

I agree with you. Are we supposed to be happy about the fact that when we pull the console out of the box, it feels like it'll snap in half? When's the last time a console build quality was that terrible?

Good review.

Sony hasn't given me a reason to buy their product this time around. IMO the launch titles are terrible and the same old rehash from 10 years ago , ala "Killzone". I would have much rather seen a traditional Sony launch with a new Resident Evil , a fighting game, a racer and some type of fantasy adventure game.

Edit

I realize that the PS4 does have those games mentioned above but 95% of them were on the market Prior to the PS4 launch. So their nothing new.

Sony needed to give us a game that defined their system. They did not. Unless they expect "Killzone" to which is laughable.

I have to question any launch title. They know that there are going to be lot of folks on the fence about which system to get and that games will decide. IMO there just isn't anything to get excited about. This time next year could be the time to jump.

You hate the Killzone rehash, yet you want Resident Evil which has been around even longer, and everything else you want is included in the launch. Silly. :p

Maybe I'm just getting old, but it's been years since I've seen a game on a console that actually made me want to buy the console.

The launch lineup is shit, no doubt about it. I'm kind of missing the arcadey, Japanese-developed games that were available on launch. Even a new Ridge Racer would have made things more exciting.

My PC has simply made everything obsolete. Even Injustice, a fighting game I've been wanting to play and is being re-released for new-gen consoles, is coming out on PC later this month.

My PC has simply made everything obsolete. Even Injustice, a fighting game I've been wanting to play and is being re-released for new-gen consoles, is coming out on PC later this month.

This was the point I was trying to make. Sony hasn't given people who own PC's any reason to buy their system.

Why does every single review of a device like this that has a glossy finish always bitch about fingerprints? This isn't a hand held device, you shouldn't be touching it outside initially putting it in place and So what?

My original PS3's..no finger print problems because I don't touch them.
My Samsung TV, no finger print problems because I don't touch it.
My Computer monitors, no finger print problems because i don't touch them.

Anyone noticing a trend here? Seriously, I like glossy finishes. It just looks better than matte. But I am utterly sick of everyone whining about how much of a finger print magnet it is on a device you shouldn't even be touching.

I hate the hassle of upkeeping a Windows PC along with the costly upgrades and new games tend to be released for PC last so this will be my first game console purchase and probably the end of PC upgrades. If Sony added some sort of Windows virtualization it would be a no brainer.

My original PS3's..no finger print problems because I don't touch them.
My Samsung TV, no finger print problems because I don't touch it.
My Computer monitors, no finger print problems because i don't touch them.

Accept when I take these items to LAN parties or a friends house....:p Wait people still do that right?

Maybe I'm just getting old, but it's been years since I've seen a game on a console that actually made me want to buy the console.

Depends on what you play I suppose. Madden and other sports games are a no brainer console choice for me. So my PS3 serves its purpose, even if I only play shooters on my PC.

I hate the hassle of upkeeping a Windows PC along with the costly upgrades and new games tend to be released for PC last so this will be my first game console purchase and probably the end of PC upgrades. If Sony added some sort of Windows virtualization it would be a no brainer.

Upkeep? Costly upgrades? What are you rambling about?

This is not a blow up doll but a gaming console where everyone else will be concerned with the controller feel and ergonomics and the content displayed on the screen.

Dumb joke was dumb.

The finish and material of the console is a very real concern some people have.

Accept when I take these items to LAN parties or a friends house....:p Wait people still do that right?

Haha, not among my friends anyway. But I'm part of the geezer brigade, so most of us are dealing with home ownership, families, etc. If we can meet up online 1 or 2 nights a week, we're happy.

What about people who have kids who like to touch everything? Just because YOU don't touch your shit doesn't mean other people won't.

I hate the hassle of upkeeping a Windows PC along with the costly upgrades and new games tend to be released for PC last so this will be my first game console purchase and probably the end of PC upgrades.

Yeah I am sure those $60 dollar titles and accessories wont add up for you at all.

Back