Scammer Accused Of Ripping Off Over 100 Kickstarters

HardOCP News

[H] News
It takes a special kind of scumbag to pull something like this. I just can't believe the credit card company didn't get suspicious after processing all those disputes.

First, "Encik" identified a Kickstarter campaign offering rewards to backers. They would pledge $1000, then await the receipt of their backer reward (you know, posters, books, shirts, etc). Once they got their swag, the user would then contact their credit card company and dispute the payment, keeping their reward and their money.

Based on numerous information, this guy's shipping address is in Malaysia.

Quick Google search found this person right away on Facebook.... :rolleyes:

Plain fraud, some time inside should teach him a few manners.

Plain fraud, some time inside should teach him a few manners.

Put him in the [H] box of doom.

For those participating in todays [H] Box of Doom event, get your own free complimentary baseball bats sporting the new [H]ard logo.

Events include;

Shoving "stolen" backer items into persons rectum
Beating said person with baseball bat until person bursts like a pinata!

Wow, what CC company would let him do that many disputes and not say anything? Last dispute I did, I had to provide a truck load of information before they would even think about reversing the charge.

I'm lost, how did he get both the money and the rewards? Do these kickstarter all give the reward away right on the kickstarter finishing?

I never gave kickstarter enough to send me things, so I wouldn't know. Mine usually all digital.

I'm lost, how did he get both the money and the rewards? Do these kickstarter all give the reward away right on the kickstarter finishing?

He waited until the rewards started shipping and then disputed the charges with his credit card company. It depends on the kickstarter as to when the rewards go out, but he probably picked ones that didn't require waiting too long.

See that's the thing. I would've thought that disputing the charges, wouldn't be something very viable after a week or so. Then again, I guess... as the other person said, having 100 something disputes, and not being questioned... that bank seems to have some serious problem.

See that's the thing. I would've thought that disputing the charges, wouldn't be something very viable after a week or so. Then again, I guess... as the other person said, having 100 something disputes, and not being questioned... that bank seems to have some serious problem.

This is likely in a country with fewer fraud measures than we are used to.

See this is the problem with credit/financial companies. Someone can "dispute" a charge, and by default the end user is assumed innocent (which is fine usually) however when shown that there was no dispute the credit card company should re-charge the account. I've heard plenty of stories of shit like this with eBay/Paypal too, people work the system, dispute they got nothing, and then blame the seller 100% of the time because they didn't use delivery confirmation.

Either way, here's hoping whatever credit company he used will charge his ass after all this and he's sent a fat fucking bill.

See this is the problem with credit/financial companies. Someone can "dispute" a charge, and by default the end user is assumed innocent (which is fine usually) however when shown that there was no dispute the credit card company should re-charge the account. I've heard plenty of stories of shit like this with eBay/Paypal too, people work the system, dispute they got nothing, and then blame the seller 100% of the time because they didn't use delivery confirmation.

Either way, here's hoping whatever credit company he used will charge his ass after all this and he's sent a fat fucking bill.

I got dinged on EBay with PayPal once. Buyer received the item, opened it and took it. Then he resealed it and marked "return to sender". Paypal didn't care that the tracking said delivered and then reactived a few days later, they still refunded all of his money.

When I used to work at a hotel, you wouldn't believe how many people disputed the charges after they had checked out. It wasn't just every once in a while, it was at least half a dozen every month. What's really sad is that most of the time, the CC companies sided with the customer. It didn't matter that we had not only signatures, but the people on video.

Wow, what CC company would let him do that many disputes and not say anything? Last dispute I did, I had to provide a truck load of information before they would even think about reversing the charge.

That's what I'm talking about. My CC company will give you a "provisional" credit until the dispute is resolved but half the time they side with the vendor.

Back