Microsoft to Issue 8 Updates, 3 Critical

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s that time of the month where Microsoft makes everything all right in the world again; that’s right, it’s Patch Tuesday:D This month’s offerings include eight total updates, three of which are rated critical for Windows and Internet Explorer.

Earlier this week Microsoft disclosed a vulnerability affecting some versions of Windows and Office and all versions of Microsoft Lync. The vulnerability is being used in zero-day attacks specifically against Office. The Patch Tuesday updates this month will not address this vulnerability.

Another patch? My father's NIC still hasn't recovered from Windows 8.1.

Basically, since updating to Windows 8.1, he can not longer access the internet. His NIC does not work with 8.1 despite getting updated drivers from ASRock.

Luckily, this hasn't happened to me, my NIC has a different vendor.

Basically, since updating to Windows 8.1, he can not longer access the internet. His NIC does not work with 8.1 despite getting updated drivers from ASRock.

May be go blame ASRock for that?

I'm just out of my mind for blaming Microsoft when there have been several people who have had their machines jacked up by Windows 8.1. Keep snacking on paint chips.

I'm just out of my mind for blaming Microsoft when there have been several people who have had their machines jacked up by Windows 8.1. Keep snacking on paint chips.

Oem's have access to this stuff to give you proper driver support, the good ones give you a good drive before the software update the bad ones may or may not give you one ever.

This is also a patch, not a major update, these are bug fixes and security updates.

This happened to me and I am using an INTEL NIC. Luckily I fixed it, but seriously, if an Intel NIC of all brands doesn't just work, that really says something. :(

"Several" isn't exactly what I would call a good sample size, and "jacked up" is a really vague description of their problems.

This happened to me and I am using an INTEL NIC. Luckily I fixed it, but seriously, if an Intel NIC of all brands doesn't just work, that really says something. :(

What Intel nic are you using? I've got various versions including some older wireless ones that haven't had a problem.

"Several" isn't exactly what I would call a good sample size, and "jacked up" is a really vague description of their problems.

Ya by that logic I could say "Windows 8.1 works perfectly! I've installed it in several systems and they've all worked without error!" That is true enough: At work I've upgraded 4 Windows 8 systems to 8.1 and installed it fresh on 2 more, in no cases was there a problem. However with only 6 installs having happened, I'm not going to declare that to mean anything since that is a rather small sample size.

What Intel nic are you using? I've got various versions including some older wireless ones that haven't had a problem.

Centrino Ultimate-N 6300.

Strangely my Centrino Advanced-N 6230 kept working without a hitch (on another, newer machine).

At first I thought it had something to do with the 5 GHz bonded channel config as normal 2.4 GHz mode worked sporadically. But pretty soon 2.4 GHz did not work at all. (During all this time, all my other devices, including my 6230 machine, worked fine.)

Anyway, a simple wiping of the old driver and installing the newest driver solved it (although simply updating to the new driver did not, I had to actually wipe the driver, so maybe some registry setting went awry).

Ya by that logic I could say "Windows 8.1 works perfectly! I've installed it in several systems and they've all worked without error!" That is true enough: At work I've upgraded 4 Windows 8 systems to 8.1 and installed it fresh on 2 more, in no cases was there a problem. However with only 6 installs having happened, I'm not going to declare that to mean anything since that is a rather small sample size.

Indeed, install any OS on a large enough number of machines and there are going to be problems. For all of the bashing of Windows, even Windows 8.x is installed on more desktops and laptops than anything else. Heck, OS X and Linux distros don't even have drivers to fully power many Windows devices let alone work without problems.

Anecdotal and really doesn't mean anything, but 8.1 broke my wifi as well. Dropped packets, timeouts, lots of router resets, etc. PCIx RTL8188CE chipset. 8.1 seems less tolerant of noisy wifi channels? Fixed it by moving the computer to the opposite side of the room so that the antennas basically aren't blocked by the metal case (faraday cage of sorts?), seems fine now.

Very much a nonsensical and voodoo fix, esp as 7 and 8 worked fine in the same physical location w/ the same card.

Centrino Ultimate-N 6300.

Strangely my Centrino Advanced-N 6230 kept working without a hitch (on another, newer machine).

At first I thought it had something to do with the 5 GHz bonded channel config as normal 2.4 GHz mode worked sporadically. But pretty soon 2.4 GHz did not work at all. (During all this time, all my other devices, including my 6230 machine, worked fine.)

Anyway, a simple wiping of the old driver and installing the newest driver solved it (although simply updating to the new driver did not, I had to actually wipe the driver, so maybe some registry setting went awry).

Funny, I had to do this on both centrino's, guess I didn't see this as being a negative :D so used to doing this from time to time.

Anecdotal and really doesn't mean anything, but 8.1 broke my wifi as well. Dropped packets, timeouts, lots of router resets, etc. PCIx RTL8188CE chipset. 8.1 seems less tolerant of noisy wifi channels? Fixed it by moving the computer to the opposite side of the room so that the antennas basically aren't blocked by the metal case (faraday cage of sorts?), seems fine now.

Very much a nonsensical and voodoo fix, esp as 7 and 8 worked fine in the same physical location w/ the same card.

Well the network stack can very much dictate this behavior. I've seen this happen on a few machines at work, where we had to use a different nic, same part just from a different machine and that fixed it.

What about it working in 8.0 and then suddenly not working in 8.1 exonerates Microsoft?

Nothing specifically exonerates MS, the problem is you don't know if it is their fault either. So what part of your evidence paints MS guilty? For all you know some driver writer screwed around and did something that was a hack. Its like how some people write software that only works with a specific service pack of windows or a specific version of java etc... Is it either of their fault that said company did that?

The point is not all NICs are broken so that means that the most logical path of fixing the problem lies with the driver writer. And ultimately as I described above it is their job to get their hardware working. If MS is at fault the driver writer should have used the time during the developer preview to isolate this and make it known to MS as well as implementing a work around.

What about it working in 8.0 and then suddenly not working in 8.1 exonerates Microsoft?

What about - you updated your OS without seeing if the drivers are compatible. IE failed to do your due diligence. While I'd say it should work, doesn't mean it always will.

With the track record with MS updates lately, maybe I'll wait until next week once they've got the updates to fix what's broken with these ones. ;)

With the track record with MS updates lately, maybe I'll wait until next week once they've got the updates to fix what's broken with these ones. ;)

While I can see the point of by passing some updates I wouldn't skip over theSecurity based patches at all.

There are some patches I can wait a week or a few days to see if it will break something or do it on my test setup first but all security based patches are auto.

Sorry to hear the zero day exploit is not addressed in this release. Now I have to decide if my company should deploy the interim fixit...

While I can see the point of by passing some updates I wouldn't skip over theSecurity based patches at all.

There are some patches I can wait a week or a few days to see if it will break something or do it on my test setup first but all security based patches are auto.

Yeah, I usually install security updates immediately. Some of the others that don't really affect me I usually leave until the next week atm.

I would say all these problems are normal with new releases..Looking back at the release of Vista & then Windows 7, everyone had similar issues. They'll all be fixed eventually :D

Nothing specifically exonerates MS, the problem is you don't know if it is their fault either. So what part of your evidence paints MS guilty? For all you know some driver writer screwed around and did something that was a hack. Its like how some people write software that only works with a specific service pack of windows or a specific version of java etc... Is it either of their fault that said company did that?

The point is not all NICs are broken so that means that the most logical path of fixing the problem lies with the driver writer. And ultimately as I described above it is their job to get their hardware working. If MS is at fault the driver writer should have used the time during the developer preview to isolate this and make it known to MS as well as implementing a work around.

I never said they were guilty I just don't want to rule them out. But if you must insist. Whose software changed that made things stop working? Did Microsoft changes something network related and forget tell driver manufacturers? Granted it might be the sloppier coders who coded their drivers with the expectation MS's code to not change/screw up that got hit hardest.

I never said they were guilty I just don't want to rule them out. But if you must insist. Whose software changed that made things stop working? Did Microsoft changes something network related and forget tell driver manufacturers? Granted it might be the sloppier coders who coded their drivers with the expectation MS's code to not change/screw up that got hit hardest.

If MS forgot to do something that screwed up ASRocks mobos I think we would be hearing about it more than 1 random post on the [H] forums. All of my ASRock boards are running fine and I didn't have to update anything so logic says something else is at fault.

Funny, I had to do this on both centrino's, guess I didn't see this as being a negative :D so used to doing this from time to time.

Actually, after a couple days more use, that 6300 driver just does not want to work consistently (and mostly at all). My temporary fix until Intel/Microsoft gives me something that actually works is forcing windows to use the 6230 driver. I'm not sure what the downsides are, probably lack of 3x3 MIMO, which isn't an issue since my router is 2x2 MIMO anyway.

Actually, after a couple days more use, that 6300 driver just does not want to work consistently (and mostly at all). My temporary fix until Intel/Microsoft gives me something that actually works is forcing windows to use the 6230 driver. I'm not sure what the downsides are, probably lack of 3x3 MIMO, which isn't an issue since my router is 2x2 MIMO anyway.

Didn't sound like you are hurting but I'm wondering how you lose 3x3 support, thought that was default. I'll check mine tonight when I get home.

Didn't sound like you are hurting but I'm wondering how you lose 3x3 support, thought that was default. I'll check mine tonight when I get home.

Everything is working "enough." At this point, I'm just going to forget about the whole thing until something really important breaks. :)

So download the driver from the actual NIC chip manufacturer.

I never get drivers from the motherboard mfg page since they are usually quite out of date.

If the actual updated driver doesn't fix it, run an administrator command prompt and type in:
netsh int ip reset

and then hit return.

This will reset the TCPI/IP stack and should fix it if the driver doesn't fix it. You will need to reboot for changes to take effect.

Back