I was close to getting the 290x

Spoonie_G

Limp Gawd
But then the plain-jane generic design, poor reference cooler (no vendor coolers for a while), and high operating temps swayed me away from it. Not to mention noise. The final killer was that I got an MSI 780 lightning for less than a 290x would have cost. And now since Nvidia has lowered the price of the 780, other than performance, the 290x isn't a very appealing card in my opinion. Only way I'd get a 290x is if I water blocked it.

What's so special about the 290x to warrant pricing above a GTX 780? 512bit Memory bus? Slightly better performance? All while offering a crappy cooler, horrible aesthetics, higher heat, more noise, and a higher energy drain.

But then the plain-jane generic design, poor reference cooler (no vendor coolers for a while), and high operating temps swayed me away from it. Not to mention noise. The final killer was that I got an MSI 780 lightning for less than a 290x would have cost. And now since Nvidia has lowered the price of the 780, other than performance, the 290x isn't a very appealing card in my opinion. Only way I'd get a 290x is if I water blocked it.

What's so special about the 290x to warrant pricing above a GTX 780? 512bit Memory bus? Slightly better performance? All while offering a crappy cooler, horrible aesthetics, higher heat, more noise, and a higher energy drain.

why were you close to getting the 290x then?...all those issues were talked about from the day the NDA lifted...you got a great deal on the MSI 780 but this sounds more like an AMD hate post

Mantle. Of course we know jack shit about how effective it will be once it has materialized, so take it for what it's worth :)

Seems like you're just looking to stir the pot with this thread. Congrats on the new card though, that's a beast.

Sounds like you're just trying to justify your purchase. Did we know the Nvidia would lower the price? No. AMD released the 290x at a price they felt would undercut the competition. Did they expect Nvidia to undercut by so much? Probably not but it's too late now. Regardless the 290X still out performs the 780 by a pretty nice margin and once drivers and Mantle supported games start to hit the market, the 290x will look mighty fine.

why were you close to getting the 290x then?...all those issues were talked about from the day the NDA lifted...you got a great deal on the MSI 780 but this sounds more like an AMD hate post

When the NDA lifted the price of the MSI Lightning was $739.00. It isn't an AMD hate post. Funny how people draw their own conclusions based off of nothing. I considered both cards (owned several ATI cards in the past BTW), compared the two, and made my decision. I merely posted my thought process and you interpret that as an AMD hate post. Wow!!

Sounds like you're just trying to justify your purchase. Did we know the Nvidia would lower the price? No. AMD released the 290x at a price they felt would undercut the competition. Did they expect Nvidia to undercut by so much? Probably not but it's too late now. Regardless the 290X still out performs the 780 by a pretty nice margin and once drivers and Mantle supported games start to hit the market, the 290x will look mighty fine.

Justify my purchase. LOL!!! I'd never put anything as generic looking, loud, relatively power hungry, and as hot as the 290x in any of my rigs. The 290x out performs the 780 by a pretty nice margin? First time hearing that one. But at what cost?

Justify my purchase. LOL!!! I'd never put anything as generic looking, loud, relatively power hungry, and as hot as the 290x in any of my rigs. The 290x out performs the 780 by a pretty nice margin? First time hearing that one. But at what cost?

Not sure if you're trolling or just really naive..

Not sure if you're trolling or just really naive..

Wanting a quiet system isn't naive. Trying to hit a high-performance target while keeping the noise down is a whole 'nuther level of system building, and AMD did no one favors with their pathetic 290X reference cooler.

Have you heard the 290x in person? It isn't a great stock cooler but on silent mode it is very quiet. It has nothing on how loud my 6990 was. ACK!! The lightning is a great card though... I'm still not sure what I should have bought. I went with a 290x and put it on water...

I was planning on waiting for the 290's to come out, but I did not want to wait for a month or two for non reference coolers to start showing up and bit on a 780 Lightning as well. Sold the Shield on eBay for $280 (which I paid $200 for thanks to generous combo) and kept the game bundle as I was planning on getting all three games anyway. It is a good deal for me at the time, however I fully recognize that the 290's offer excellent performance and once OC'd on good coolers will likely eclipse my 780, even with it's 1306Mhz core OC.

The 290 series is really just a good cooler away from being amazing. Some people testing ones like the Gelid Icy Vision Rev2 cooler are seeing only 55c load temps. What that means for OC's, I do not know but I would be surprised if 1200Mhz was not pretty normal once the temps are under control with decent coolers. To bad they were not available at launch as I might still have a AMD card in my main gaming rig if that was the case. Although, I still might try out a 290(x) eventually.

The 290 series is really just a good cooler away from being amazing.

I agree...290x with some nice cooling would be sweet...plus the wildcard that is Mantle...even with all these amazing Nvidia price drops I've been still holding out because of this...and tomorrow the 290 (non-x) is released

Have you heard the 290x in person? It isn't a great stock cooler but on silent mode it is very quiet. It has nothing on how loud my 6990 was. ACK!! The lightning is a great card though... I'm still not sure what I should have bought. I went with a 290x and put it on water...

To put it in perspective, dB for dB, a GTX780 is 10% faster or more, and the GTX780 is already 'loud', while the 290X rates around twice as loud, or louder!

So, unless someone comes up with a decent blower for it, anyone trying to Crossfire 290X's will likely be investing in a water loop like you. Me? I'll just wait, better things are coming :).

You do realise that the only reason you got the 780 lighting at such a good price is because Nvidia had to cut their prices back because of the 290x?

Also, your lighting card uses as much power and will heat up your room nearly the exact same as the 290x. The only real problem with the 290x is how loud the stock cooler gets. If it ran at 60% fan speed and was about 45db at that speed, then i don't think people would be complaining so much.

You sound young and immature.

You do realise that the only reason you got the 780 lighting at such a good price is because Nvidia had to cut their prices back because of the 290x?

Are you really going to stand on that point?

Both companies do the same when they get a chance. That's Merchandising 101.

AMD is in trouble no doubt. Their brand new architecture had to be clocked to the max just to compete with the older NVIDIA chips (chips that are not even fully utilized yet). This is why you have the heat/noise/power draw. It will get worse for AMD when the 780ti comes out.

With the probability of the 780ti being much faster than the 290x this may be the first time in history that a new architecture was unable to beat an older architecture. (usually the new architecture is 20%-60% faster)

AMD seems to be a generation behind and are struggling to keep up. Instead of pushing Hawaii to the edge, they should have just focused on the mid-range/low-end. If the regular 290 is priced well and not hot/loud/power hungry that would match what I'm saying. AMD just does not have the resources to compete in the high end anymore.

The truth is the 290X is a fast card, but at the cost of cheap build quality, HORRID drivers from AMD, frame pacing issues for those of us that run multiple cards, and that insane operating temp. Shame because AMD had a real winner on their hands.

AMD is in trouble no doubt. Their brand new architecture had to be clocked to the max just to compete with the older NVIDIA chips (chips that are not even fully utilized yet). This is why you have the heat/noise/power draw. It will get worse for AMD when the 780ti comes out.

With the probability of the 780ti being much faster than the 290x this may be the first time in history that a new architecture was unable to beat an older architecture. (usually the new architecture is 20%-60% faster)

AMD seems to be a generation behind and are struggling to keep up. Instead of pushing Hawaii to the edge, they should have just focused on the mid-range/low-end. If the regular 290 is priced well and not hot/loud/power hungry that would match what I'm saying. AMD just does not have the resources to compete in the high end anymore.

lol

ha this is hilarious

Last edited:
Same old posters posting the same old slock - seriously the green kool-aid must be great to drink. People with a decent comprehension and an unsullied attitude will make an informed decision. Vote with your wallet and we don't need to hear your justifications. I'll just go pickup a 290x - woops all sold out !

Ah there she is. You don't fall to show up on an amd thread.

Ah there she is. You don't fall to show up on an amd thread.

Until the custom-cooled versions of the R9 290X arrive, PRIME1 has a point. Not a good one, mind you, but quite relevant; at least it'll be fun to prove wrong. I'm still holding out hope for a G-Sync patch and a good blower for it :).

yeah must think his opinion actually matters even when he does make sense or post something useful there is always a negative tone towards ATi/AMD

yeah must think his opinion actually matters even when he does make sense or post something useful there is always a negative tone towards ATi/AMD

AMD has worked hard to earn the ire of the community. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't keep trying and screwing up little things along the way, across all of their businesses. Thankfully, they aren't close to putting in the towel yet, and they seem to make progress on a regular basis!

1V0vTX9.jpg

This is helarious indeed. It shows how much of a fan boy you are, and that you dont offer anything to the table as far as discussion goes.

Yes, its true the design of the cooler is poor, they could have indeed done a better job at it. However it in no way, shape or form makes the card bad.

The drivers are still young, the card will only get better as time progresses, not mention Mantle.

The fact that a watercooled 290x goes FAR beyond the Titan that is also watercooled should tell you something.

Last but not least, you shouldnt take sides and defend a product the way you do. Its all about choice. The ONLY reason Nvidia lowered their prices on already overpriced cards is because of AMD. You fail to see the fact that if AMD did not exist, youd be paying 800+ for an Intel CPU along with 1000+ for Nvidia cards. Just be glad there is competition.

Last but not least, you shouldnt take sides and defend a product the way you do. Its all about choice. The ONLY reason Nvidia lowered their prices on already overpriced cards is because of AMD. You fail to see the fact that if AMD did not exist, youd be paying 800+ for an Intel CPU along with 1000+ for Nvidia cards. Just be glad there is competition.

They all do this- even if Nvidia is rightly associated with higher-priced cards, rarely has it been the case that they weren't also faster. Remember that AMD will happily charge you out the ass on those rare occasions that they have a 'world-beating' product. Recall the first Athlons? The Athlon X2s? The HD7970, for a more recent example?

Hell, AMD isn't even competing with Intel in the CPU scene- Intel is just 'choosing' to behave, for whatever reason. We would be really screwed if they acted like AMD did during the Pentium IV years.

The truth is the 290X is a fast card, but at the cost of cheap build quality, HORRID drivers from AMD, frame pacing issues for those of us that run multiple cards, and that insane operating temp. Shame because AMD had a real winner on their hands.

Lol.. I guess everything Brent and Kyle have praised AMD for is a lie.

Lol.. I guess everything Brent and Kyle have praised AMD for is a lie.

Praised now. AMD is always given the benefit of the doubt, but they are quite obviously still digging themselves out of a hole that they put themselves in all on their own.

Praised now. AMD is always given the benefit of the doubt, but they are quite obviously still digging themselves out of a hole that they put themselves in all on their own.

What hole? AMD has always been rather reasonable with their prices and they help the competition. I don't see why you guys are trying to destroy them. It gives more reason for Nvidia to give it up the ass to it's customers.

Right...

AMD owns all the manufacturing rights to all the next gen consoles and now has a card that has the performance of the competitions best card at HALF the price.

Yep. They are in trouble. :rolleyes:

are you for real ? AMD just schooled nvidia at the high end

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/01/amd_radeon_r9_290x_crossfire_video_card_review/3

now before you go off saying those do not matter, it matters because these cards are built for the enthusiasts who throw a lot of money and buy expensive PC hardware. btw nvidia was blowing the 4k horn as recent as in Aug /sep. AMD just settled that contest decisively.

what are you going to complain about when custom r9 290x cards like toxic, matrix,lightning, dcii, wf3 come out and reduce noise/ temps. I wan't to see what your response will be when Mantle arrives for BF4 in Dec. are you going to say its unfair :p

Why is everybody bitching about the design? They're fucking video cards, not priceless faberge eggs.

I'd be willing to buy a 290x for $600 with a better heatsink.
Why?

It will produce roughly $2.25 /day profit for LTC mining.
That's $67 / month and will pay for itself in about 9 months.

What's the profit potential for a GTX 780? about 20% of that.

What hole? AMD has always been rather reasonable with their prices and they help the competition. I don't see why you guys are trying to destroy them. It gives more reason for Nvidia to give it up the ass to it's customers.

Destroy? No.

Credit where it's due? Sure.

Back