Oxide's Nitrous Engine to Support AMD's Mantle

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oxide Games announced today that its recently revealed 3D engine, Nitrous, supports AMD’s Mantle technology. Nitrous, designed specifically for the hardware now common in PCs as well as the Sony PlayStation® 4™ and Microsoft’s Xbox® One™, is capable of simulating and rendering large-scale, complex scenes thanks to its 64-bit architecture and fully concurrent multi-core processing. Those visuals are even better on Mantle-enabled hardware like AMD’s Radeon™ R9, R7, and HD 7000 Series graphics cards.

A lot of awesome news for AMD about Mantle lately. Can't wait to see what benefits it actually brings.

While I'm sure I would of been happy with a 780, I'm glad that I decided to go with AMD this time around

Thank god this whole Mantle thing is taking off. I'm sure microsoft wants out of the DirectX business. Creating an API that runs and looks better on PC's than their own Xbox must be kind of embarrassing. Let someone else do it so that they can focus on their new console business.

This is getting pretty compelling. Now they just need a good PhysX hack like in the old days.

Some good developers behind this one!

I suppose AMD was telling the truth when they said it's something developers have been asking for.

Glanced at title and thought this was about a dragster engine.

I suppose AMD was telling the truth when they said it's something developers have been asking for.

The way they came out and said it made it seem they were begging for something like mantle. Have to believe them now with all the support they are getting.

Thank god this whole Mantle thing is taking off. I'm sure microsoft wants out of the DirectX business. Creating an API that runs and looks better on PC's than their own Xbox must be kind of embarrassing. Let someone else do it so that they can focus on their new console business.

Problem is that its AMD's which will lead to a bias for their own GPU's. I want someone else to take over the standard as well but it should have been something both GPU manufacturers could have agreed over so we could get a balanced version and not what Mantle will become which is a vehicle for AMD.

I'm not saying I'm not happy to see AMD successful but I don't want one competitor to have the "standard". Nvidia tried like hell with PhysX and is pushing CUDA pretty hard but at least AMD had their own solutions.

Problem is that its AMD's which will lead to a bias for their own GPU's. I want someone else to take over the standard as well but it should have been something both GPU manufacturers could have agreed over so we could get a balanced version and not what Mantle will become which is a vehicle for AMD.

I'm not saying I'm not happy to see AMD successful but I don't want one competitor to have the "standard". Nvidia tried like hell with PhysX and is pushing CUDA pretty hard but at least AMD had their own solutions.
I don't think there's any easy way to implement a low level api standard for both companies without one or both companies redoing large parts of their architecture.

I agree though, proprietary stuff is lame.

after the whole physX bs i say good for amd for doing this and not letting nvidia in on it

I'd love to see AMD be the bigger company and open source Mantle, lay it all on the table and not do anything to hinder Nvidia from using it on their own cards.
Let both of them get behind it 100% and give a great experience across the board be it Windows, Mac or Linux.

after the whole physX bs i say good for amd for doing this and not letting nvidia in on it

So its bad when nVidia does something proprietary, but completely ok for AMD to do it. :)

I'd love to see AMD be the bigger company and open source Mantle, lay it all on the table and not do anything to hinder Nvidia from using it on their own cards.
Let both of them get behind it 100% and give a great experience across the board be it Windows, Mac or Linux.

Can mantle benefit anyone besides amd?

Don't know.
Theoretically Mantle could run on Nvidia cards as well if their architecture supported it.
But because so much is behind closed doors on both sides I realize this has little to no real chance of happening.

Though you have to admit, if Nvidia and AMD had a gpu cross salience like the AMD Intel deal graphic processors could move forward by leaps and bounds.

Don't know.
Theoretically Mantle could run on Nvidia cards as well if their architecture supported it.
But because so much is behind closed doors on both sides I realize this has little to no real chance of happening.

Though you have to admit, if Nvidia and AMD had a gpu cross salience like the AMD Intel deal graphic processors could move forward by leaps and bounds.
I'm no expert in this area, but it is my understanding that Nvidia would either have to change their architecture to be pretty much GNC-based, or recode Mantel to such a degree that it becomes a de facto different API, in which case they might as well write their own.

This is great news. Between Mantle and Oculus Rift, i haven't been this excited about PC gaming in a long time.

Suck-it console whores!

If on the PC its Windows only, Microsoft.

Its now in AMD's interest to help Micosoft keep Windows gaming hitched to the xbox.
in the original presentation they mentioned mantle would be cross platform, is this no longer true or was this to a very specific set of platforms discluding all x86 OS's besides windows?

Sorry, my answer wasn't very clear. Yes, Mantle is Windows-only at this time. AMD states that they intend to bring availability to Linux.

Sorry, my answer wasn't very clear. Yes, Mantle is Windows-only at this time. AMD states that they intend to bring availability to Linux.

That'll be nice.
I've got a brand new AMD APU laptop with Ubuntu and the video (not gaming, youtube and dvds) runs like crap because the AMD drivers are just horrid. Doesn't matter if its the stock drivers or the proprietary drivers, just terrible.

I'm no expert in this area, but it is my understanding that Nvidia would either have to change their architecture to be pretty much GNC-based, or recode Mantel to such a degree that it becomes a de facto different API, in which case they might as well write their own.
That would be my understanding, altough i suppose they could get an interpreter to work with mantel so it would run on nvidia cards but that would mean they'd lose any benefit something like mantel would bring and yeah would rather just make their own low level API.

Someone correct me:

Mantle/Oxide's Nitrous is going to make CPU cores run more parallel when it comes to real time GPU rendering.
Hence, this is going to heavily benefit boxen with more CPU cores.

AMD is the Core King right now. 32 of dem bitches run with dual PCIe x16 with off-the-shelf windows on a $400 mobo.

Back