Does the Iron Egg Guarantee mean anything?

the_servicer

2[H]4U
I ordered a camera from NewEgg. It's much cheaper at both Best Buy and Amazon, so I tried to take advantage of the so-called "Iron Egg Price Guarantee". I gave them links to both Best Buy and Amazon, where the prices were identical.

Here's what they said.

Upon checking, I show that the item on bestbuy.com is on sale. Please note that the Iron Egg Policy does not apply to: A Competitor's item offered (a) for free or with rebate or coupon or promotional gift card/promotional credit, (b) as part of a bundled offer or financing offer, (c) as a clearance/closeout sale, or (d) for sale for less than 6 hours in a day. Here is a detailed information of our policy: http://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/13-2430/index.html We are sorry but we are unable to honor the price difference. Please provide us with an eligible competitor so that we can further assist you.

WTF

I guess you got your answer......I stopped shopping the egg a long time ago.....Amazon gets my money because the prices and the customer service is fantastic .

They should really call it their Tin Egg guarantee. I also used to be a devote NewEgg shopper... that is until a couple of years ago. Their customer service and prices all went into the crapper. They also stopped supporting/advertising on [H] and tried to expand into all kinds of crap products and seemed to lose their focus. Since then I have moved completely over to Amazon for all my tech needs and have also became a Prime member there, never looking back. Amazon has done everything right by me and their customer service is utterly fantastic.

Newegg has sucked for years. The only things I buy there anymore vs. Amazon are things I KNOW I won't ever have to return or have to involve CS, IF it happens to be cheaper than Amazon, which is rare. This probably has to do with fierce competition, abuse of its return policies and being mostly a niche dealer. It simply cannot compete with the behemoth that is Amazon.

I just compared a few items, and if you see Iron Egg Price Guarantee, it's a guarantee the item is cheaper on Amazon.

I wonder if the egg is scanning Amazon prices and putting that badge on their items that cost more, to give people a false sense of best price so they don't look elsewhere.

Such a shame. I remember a few years ago the Egg was mine (and a lot of people's) place to shop for computer supplies.

Now? It's embarassing. Unless you want a watch or blender, I guess?? ugh

In short. No.

Why do you sound surprised? NewEgg has been shit for years now.

Iron Egg seems like a buncha BS. All the items they put it on seem carefully selected so as not to ever have to apply the guarantee to anything.

But I realized for one purchase I made, it could benefit me. In the case of a Sapphire Dual-X 280x I purchased, I realized I wanted to return it (I wasn't unhappy with it and there wasn't anything wrong with it). I just changed my mind and decided I wanted to buy EVGA 780s from sellers on this forum instead.

Normally? This would automatically mean I get to pay a 15% restocking fee--so I planned to sell the card on the forum at a loss. Then I took a closer look at the Iron Egg Guarantee for this item (hint: they aren't all the same as far as returns goes). I noticed they were saying they extended returns til February NEXT YEAR on it. Here's the fine print on the product page:

This item is covered by Newegg.com's Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy.

We want to ensure your holiday shopping this year is hassle-free. That’s why we’re automatically extending our return policies on almost every product to January 31, 2014. There's nothing additional that you have to do!
Return for refund until: January 31, 2014
Return for replacement until: January 31, 2014
Restocking Fee: None

So I hit up their online chat CS to inquire further. CS rep #1 was clueless so I moved on to CS rep #2. She confirmed that the 280x was completely refundable for ANY REASON. If the item says "Return for refund until: not-refundable" then you can ONLY exchange it for same item. But if it says it's returnable under Iron Egg, and says there is no restocking fee, you could literally buy this 280x keep it til January and then send it back for a FULL refund.

This rep then proceeded to issue me a UPS return shipping label free of charge. I've been programmed to drink Newegg's piss all these years so this almost felt like too much. I didn't ask for the shipping label and I fully expected and was prepared to pay return shipping on it, but I didn't complain.

They just received the card back. Let's see if they say I broke it or something, because this seems too good to be true.

To the OP:
If you can imagine it, I strongly urge you to play Russian Representative Roulette again; you got hosed with the CS agent and this is par for the course. Make sure you politely drive it home that the Amazon Prime price is not a sale price and that it meets all of the criteria for the Iron Egg Guarantee. You are entitled to that refund.

In general in the world of outsourced retail customer service one can expect AT LEAST one rebuttal or "pushback" on a service request. These folks have it ingrained on their psyche not to give anything away they aren't forced to, not just by Newegg necessarily but every telemarketing job they've ever done and they switch jobs plenty. You hit the random CS button again and you never know what you're gonna get. Time of day makes a big difference. New Egg is not open on the weekend or at night so if you try to get a CS rep you are going to be communicating with someone overseas.

Last edited:
Well to be fair they insta-approved my return. I keep expecting them to do something uncool to me but it's just never happened.

Nowhere in neweggs policy does it say the item cannot be on sale. What the heck sense would that make? Everything is on sale all the time. It can be on sale. Try again or escalate to a manage that CS agent was an idiot. The only thing I could see them saying is that it doesn't count if the shipping is part of a program, like amazon prime. But since you matched best buy I cannot see that applying.

In general I find price matching to be complete BS now days. But that's another point. The only time I would bother is with a huge TV and taking it to best buy or a local place. For everyone else you just need to have the lowest price and not make me work for it.

Iron egg has its own policies and stuff like any other PM guarantee. Target has an ad only pm policy, so all the MC ipads fire sales are worthless when PMing.

the point is that their PM is pretty strict on whats deemed applicable. It sucks but what can you do besides shopping elsewhere for a better price

Iron egg has its own policies and stuff like any other PM guarantee. Target has an ad only pm policy, so all the MC ipads fire sales are worthless when PMing.

the point is that their PM is pretty strict on whats deemed applicable. It sucks but what can you do besides shopping elsewhere for a better price

Which makes it not a price match at all. The whole point of a price match is suppose to keep you with them and confident. If they undermine that by making it difficult to get the price match and making it very limited in its application well then I just don't even think of them as having a price match policy because it is not worth my time. Classic business fail were a company completely misses the point of a policy.

haha so has anyone had any success with the guarantee. If so what item, and what was the competitors page details (sale anything?)

I ordered three Noctua 140mm PWM fans from Newegg for 24.99, but Amazon was selling them for 22.95. They said they would only price match one per order though. And in their price match limitations, it states limited to one price match per customer as well, so I bet you only get one price match for the entire holiday season. They're pretty stingy with these price matches. Don't know why they even bother offering it, other than as a gimmick to steal away customers from competitors. They force you to purchase the item before you can even submit a price match inquiry, so seems like they're just relying on people to be too lazy to cancel their order once they find out the price matches are severely limited. Don't know what I'm gonna do with a $2 gift certificate. Newegg was fairly fast in replying to the price match inquiry though. Took them about an hour to get back to me, so I guess they've got one thing going for them.

sometimes, and usually if your in a state that collects tax for Amazon but not for the egg. However I see that changing in the future with that e-commerce tax bill in the pipelines.

I got a ThinkServer TS140 from Newegg for $299.99 + $50 mail-in rebate. I thought it was a great deal so I pulled the trigger. Then I checked Amazon. Same machine for $233.98 and with prime, I get free 2-day shipping!

So I thought, I should return it, because it is under the Iron Egg Guarantee, I probably could without a restocking fee. But before I did that, I asked if they would price match it, figuring it would save me on the return shipping fee if they could. They said they would give me a $19.99 gift card only good at Newegg (not what I was expecting - they could just credit my card). Then I asked how long it would take the rebate to process and they said 8-10 week! Eight to ten weeks! WTF! So I decided I would just get it from Amazon and not have to deal with this BS. But because I was waiting to hear back from customer service, I was really curious about my system, so I opened the box and looked inside. I took the machine out but saw that it was wrapped with plastic which had a security seal. I choose to stop at this point and not break the security seal. I asked customer service if at this point I could return it for a full refund. They said only if the item was unopened. I told them that I kept the security seal on but opened the box, and they said then it is considered an open box and I would be charged 25% for a restocking fee. The Iron Egg guarantee did not mention anything about restocking fee and they made it sound like you could return anything you bought between November 1 and December 24 hassle free before January 31.

Well, at least they price matched. But after using my gift card, it will probably be the last time that I buy from the egg.

Nope. Your CS rep was wrong.

The guarantee on your purchase is under specifications: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859106529
Direct your next phone jockey to the Iron Egg guarantee on that page:

Return Policies
This item is covered by Newegg.com's Iron Egg Guarantee Return Policy.

We want to ensure your holiday shopping this year is hassle-free. That’s why we’re automatically extending our return policies on almost every product to January 31, 2014. There's nothing additional that you have to do!
Return for refund until: January 31, 2014
Return for replacement until: January 31, 2014
Restocking Fee: None

Be courteous but be firm. I've personally used this EXACT same guarantee (they aren't all the same) to return a video card I'd used for a month with no restocking fee (and they paid for return shipment too). Feel free to use me as an example. This item gets no restocking fee whether it's been opened/used or not AS LONG AS IT ISNT DAMAGED. Sometimes you have to go through 2-3 reps at NE before you get one that has been there long enough to know how to find and give correct info.

Well so far we`ve learned that the policy is quite lax and their CSs need better training in using that policy. Staples CSRs, for those who use them are on point when it comes to their familiarity with their price match policy. Literally every time I have called them, they knew what they were doing, what items were valid to be PMed and how much (like you cant pm and use a coupon its one or the other).

Does Amazon charge you tax in your state?

This is the ONLY reason I shop at the egg anymore, prices are pretty much the same as amazon so the tax on a 400$ item pretty much kills it. If newegg ever starts getting taxed in ks then off to amazon for EVERYTHING. :cool:

I just used their Iron Egg policy for a Corsair Air 540 case. It was cheaper at TigerDirect after instant savings and a rebate. They got back to me in about 36 hours and said they would issue me a $20 gift card to my account to match the instant savings, but it has to be used within 90 days.

I used to use Amazon, but now that they charge tax in NJ as well, I buy from whoever has what I want in stock.

Well that was good of them. its clever how they issue gift cards rather than credit back to O.F.O.P

Forget the customer service chat option @ Newegg.

You NEED to call in if you want to get the best service.

I've returned items that I opened and decided not to keep and Newegg covered the return shipping even though there was nothing wrong with the item.

I've asked for the same (free return label) for past returns using the chat option and been denied.

Trust me, pick up the phone!

Turns out there are different iron egg guarantees. There is the price match, refund, and one other. If your item, like mine, only qualifies for the price match then you still get charged 15% for restock if you return it. Lame, I know.

Last year I bought a Evga GTX660 which was fine in 2D but would crash with massive artifacts in 3D. It had the iron egg policy and they excepted the return for refund, paid for the shipping back and no restocking fee so I was happy.

Dicksuckers.

There, now you have my opinion of newegg. That's what you were looking for, so there it is.

I hear everyone saying Amazon. I'm getting ready to build a new PC. I have my list saved at Newegg.
I have always only shopped Newegg. If you order from Amazon, it would seem that I will end up with parts from many different vendors. Not even thinking about Tigerdirect, as their website sucks, and their prices are not anywhere near as good as Newegg. I will add that Newegg is all out of R9 270x, so I may have to order that from somewhere else. So what should I do?

Dicksuckers.

There, now you have my opinion of newegg. That's what you were looking for, so there it is.

Yep..... Ordered an ac1900 and 1 day after iron egg purchase requirement window, another site was lower. A week after purchase and 2 days after iron egg date, I get a 20% ac1900 router....

Really newegg?! Fucking fucks.

@ angry eagle

If amazon does not tax you, go with them. Otherwise IMO newegg is still decent because no tax and shipping(most of the items).

Back