R9 290x black screen

Robbit126

n00b
Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a R9 290x to replace my 2x 5870s. Everything seemed well until I started encountering black screen.

I'm sure some people have experienced a similar issue with other cards. Essentially, I've noticed that while gaming in borderless window (haven't really tried in true full screen), after 30mins-2hour, both my monitors will go black screen with the sound continuing. I figured this was my video card crashing or something of the sort. I'm run two 22" monitors at 1650x1050, so I tend to play all my games in borderless for easy alt-tabbing. I tend to upgrade since I've purchased this card but this crashing issue has me concerned.

Here is a list of hardware I'm currently running
i7-3770k 4.3ghz
Sapphire R9 290X
Seasonic X-650W 80 Gold
4x Samsung 4GB PC3-12800
HT Omega PCI sound card
1 SSD + 1 HDD
Blu-ray Drive

It says the R9 needs a 750W PSU, so if this is the case, I'll be more than happy to purchase one if needed. But I want to hear what you guys have to think. I've also ran FurMark to stress test the card and after 15mins, though temps run high, nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Also running the latest AMD drivers and MB bios. If you guys have any advice or ideas, I would love you long time.

I've got exactly the same R9 290x black screen issue, for example in Battlefield 4 and Bioshock Infinite. To me it feels like either a hardware defect or a beta driver issue, although I fear the defect is more likely since that doesnt seem to be a very widespread problem. I hope sb can share some additional information.

I am just going to ask the obvious, but have you tried running the games in full screen?

I just uninstalled Raptr, I'll see if there any difference Then probably see how long I can play in Full Screen.

Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a R9 290x to replace my 2x 5870s. Everything seemed well until I started encountering black screen.

I'm sure some people have experienced a similar issue with other cards. Essentially, I've noticed that while gaming in borderless window (haven't really tried in true full screen), after 30mins-2hour, both my monitors will go black screen with the sound continuing. I figured this was my video card crashing or something of the sort. I'm run two 22" monitors at 1650x1050, so I tend to play all my games in borderless for easy alt-tabbing. I tend to upgrade since I've purchased this card but this crashing issue has me concerned.

Here is a list of hardware I'm currently running
i7-3770k 4.3ghz
Sapphire R9 290X
Seasonic X-650W 80 Gold
4x Samsung 4GB PC3-12800
HT Omega PCI sound card
1 SSD + 1 HDD
Blu-ray Drive

It says the R9 needs a 750W PSU, so if this is the case, I'll be more than happy to purchase one if needed. But I want to hear what you guys have to think. I've also ran FurMark to stress test the card and after 15mins, though temps run high, nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Also running the latest AMD drivers and MB bios. If you guys have any advice or ideas, I would love you long time.

Robbit - what motherboard, do you have out of interest?

If you try the voltage fixed can you report back and say if they fixed it? Cheers.

Hey,

Thanks for the info and link to other post. I've yet to tweek my voltage settings just yet. I haven't had much time on my hands right now. But oddly enough, when I played games in full screen as oppose to borderless, I haven't ran into the black screen.

As for my motherboard, it's an ASUS P8Z77-V. CPU-Vcore settings is 1.25V. I'll tweek that and the VCCIO up to 1.1 and see if I notice any differences tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted

Guys, I'm having the exact same issue. Thought I was going crazy because I couldn't find anything when googling for the past several days. I've had my card in my system for a little less than a week now and always the same problem when playing borderless window- black screen 'crash' after a random interval- usually takes longer than 30-40 minutes. I also have a Sapphire R290x in my rig. I recently turned off vsync in my games and forced it through the CCC and also turned off cloud sync in my origin games and that seems to have fixed it at least temporarily, although I thought I fixed it about 5 other times as well only for it to return.

Specs:
i5-2500k O/C @ 4.2
ASRock Extreme4
8GB Corsair RAM
Windows 7 x64
Dual 1080p monitors @ 120hz

I'm glad I'm not the only one running into this issue (though I much rather have it that none of us had this issue)

I played BF4 and FFXIV in full screen, and I don't seem to ever encounter the black screen. I'm only noticing it on borderless on more graphically intense games. Games like Dota 2 or LoL don't seem to ever black screen on me.

I'm assuming PCH Voltage is the same as VTT/VCCIO since I couldn't find any settings that said VCCIO in my BIOS. I turned it up to 1.1 and tried FFXIV borderless still encounter the black screen after 15 minutes.

I have now turned up my vcore to 1.3V and PCH to 1.1. It's late now so I'll do some testing tomorrow and let you guys how it turns out. But in the 30minutes that I did test with 1.3/1.1, no crashing. If that doesn't work out, I'll check out about advice in your 2nd link nickrorshach. My sound card is below my r9 so the other options really is to switch out the psu cables and set MB to legacy.

Because the fix is long, if anyone want me to try to fix (long time AMD tweaker) give me your team viewer ID and pass via, pm, i will try to fix it.

I've tried a couple things yesterday including adjusting vcore, etc. I updated to the latest BIOS as well. I still got the black screen. If AMD/Sapphire or some other manufacturer do not address the issue I will be returning my part within the 30-day window at NewEgg. Not sure what I'll do from there- I'm teetering on just getting one of those superclocked 780's and being done with it. I really wanted to like this card too :-( the last ATI/AMD card I owned was a 9800pro and I loved it.

Newly registered users, check. Game breaking issues with 290X, check. Interesting. Just, interesting.

I'm sure they'll disappear after this GPU launch.

IDK what you're implying but I've had an account on [H] for ~6 years now...I wouldn't have posted if I weren't having a legit problem.

Sorry, just being facetious. Anyway, are you guys using analog monitors by chance? From what i've read it isn't compatible with analog even with DVI > VGA converters.

I'm talking to my motherboard and GPU vendor. The suggestion is that it is probably a driver issue, i've also contacted AMD.

I suggest that anyone having the problem take the time to do the same, try and detail your system as much as possible too.
If i had to bet my my own money on this i'd guess it's going to be fixed in a driver, but i'm really not certain.

The one suggestion i've had is to play with the "Setup Prompt Time Out" setting on my ASRock board, to give the GPU more time to initialize. Other boards will have other settings that do a similar thing.

Check this out too:

http://www.simology.co/forums/gaming-platform-pc/3302-r9-290x-display-black-screen?limitstart=0

Take the time to write your own emails and report back :) People with non Sapphire or Club 3D cards having a problem can contribute.

I am pretty confident the problems you guys are experiencing is driver related. I was using the same drivers on my 5870 for probably 6 months or more (wasn't having any issues). Then I got bf4 and it recommended me updating, so I did, and then I started experiencing the black screen. Its as if the game is still running, you can hear it, its just black and unresponsive and task manager confirms the program is not responding. I think it was the beta v8 iirc.

I am pretty confident the problems you guys are experiencing is driver related. I was using the same drivers on my 5870 for probably 6 months or more (wasn't having any issues). Then I got bf4 and it recommended me updating, so I did, and then I started experiencing the black screen. Its as if the game is still running, you can hear it, its just black and unresponsive and task manager confirms the program is not responding. I think it was the beta v8 iirc.

My problem is a bit different in that both of my monitors go black and I am unable to bring up task manager to confirm that it's frozen or anything- the entire computer becomes unresponsive. I can still hear background noises, I was in TeamSpeak a couple of times when it happened and I could still talk to people and could hear them so it's really weird. The only way to get control of the machine again is to hard shut it down and turn it back on.
I agree it could be driver related but I'm still freaking out- I rarely spend this much $$ on a part and for this to happen is kind of unacceptable.

My problem is a bit different in that both of my monitors go black and I am unable to bring up task manager to confirm that it's frozen or anything- the entire computer becomes unresponsive. I can still hear background noises, I was in TeamSpeak a couple of times when it happened and I could still talk to people and could hear them so it's really weird. The only way to get control of the machine again is to hard shut it down and turn it back on.
I agree it could be driver related but I'm still freaking out- I rarely spend this much $$ on a part and for this to happen is kind of unacceptable.

This is exactly the issue I have.

Send some emails :)

sound slike that crazy sleep bug from a couple years ago.

could be BIOS related, the sleep bug was.

This is exactly the issue I have.

Send some emails :)

I just registered on the Sapphire website but it's looking for serial #'s and a bunch of information I don't have available to me at the moment (I'm at work). I'll circle back after work.

I just registered on the Sapphire website but it's looking for serial #'s and a bunch of information I don't have available to me at the moment (I'm at work). I'll circle back after work.

Cool. I've mailed Sapphire too, but if they get multiple emails from people with the same issue, if it isn't something they already know about, it will make them look into it with a bit more gusto

The vcore and PCH setting didn't seem to have helped, both of them are ramped up but still encountering the issue. When it happens, I can still speak through Ventrilo for about 20 seconds before it freezes up though any music playing will continue onwards. As branden said, have to hard shut down computer to regain control.

I'll be registering an account with Sapphire. Probably be writing up an email out later to them, and motherboard vendor to see what they have to say. I have work in a bit so probably do it once I get home or tomorrow since I have the day off.

Do we all have ASRock motherboards??

Edit: I have an ASRock Extreme4 which is an intel Z77 motherboard.. maybe its the chipset???

Last edited:
I have a Z68 ASrock Extreme, but unless i'm missing something we are talking about only Z77 and Z68 chipsets, which are more or less same feature set?

You aren't all running GPU-Z 0.7.3 are you? That's what caused this issue on my displays when switching primary monitors around (see here)

http://youtu.be/_aHFQgt8IX0

Uninstalling GPU-Z solved the problem completely and they have since released 0.7.4 which works fine.

Regards
Gary

Last edited:
I'm having the same exact problem.
Ive been playing BF4 all week with my 7970, no problems, got my 290x yesterday, today i have the black screen hard lock. my 290x isnt clocked and its on uber mode.
It's a Sapphire with elpida memory modules.

You aren't all running GPU-Z 0.7.3 are you? That's what caused this issue on my displays when switching primary monitors around (see here)

http://youtu.be/_aHFQgt8IX0

Uninstalling GPU-Z solved the problem completely and they have since released 0.7.4 which works fine.
Hi Gary, what you're seeing is a separate issue entirely- I do not have any version of GPU-Z installed I always run the zipped standalone exe file anyway. It looks as though you at least still have a cursor in your video, also the screens seem to go off at different times. Our problem is both screens go black simultaneously and we have no mouse on our screen or anything, you cant get to task manager etc, the only option is to literally unplug your computer or hold down the power button...

I'm having the same exact problem.
Ive been playing BF4 all week with my 7970, no problems, got my 290x yesterday, today i have the black screen hard lock. my 290x isnt clocked and its on uber mode.
It's a Sapphire with elpida memory modules.
I also have the Elpida memory modules in mine..

Not sure if this helps but recently my 6990 is now doing this and when windows boots all my screens go black and into sleep mode. I have no idea whats wrong. Ready to just buy two 780s instead of amd r9 290s now.

I had some issues with hard locks, but not the exact same issue as the OP, I ended up putting a fan blowing over the back of my 290x and it solved it for me.

Not sure if this helps but recently my 6990 is now doing this and when windows boots all my screens go black and into sleep mode. I have no idea whats wrong. Ready to just buy two 780s instead of amd r9 290s now.

I really don't understand comments like "I have no idea what is wrong, I am just going to buy nvidia" If you don't know what's wrong why blame amd?
Not to mention the 6990 is like 3 generations old, and likely has no bearing on todays product lines what so ever.

My GPU didn't pass 92 degrees while playing, also do your 290x's have an insane coil whine? Louder than the fan?

Back