Mega Has Submitted Its Sync Client to the App Store

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Kim Dotcom has resurfaced yet again to announce the submittal of its Sync Client to Apple’s App Store and for Windows, Linux and Mac in the near future.

The news came in the form of a trio of tweets from Dotcom, who also noted the Mega website is getting some performance improvements.

Dotcom ftw. I dealt with him back in the late 90's and it was one comical experience to say the least. He's what one man can do with total motivation, no shame, and a big ego.

Sorry, unless the client is open source, there's no way to verify that someone behind the scenes isn't passing data to whatever MPAA/RIAA or government agency that wishes it. Besides, New Zealand isn't exactly known for being a bastion of privacy, unflinching when other nations agencies come calling. There are plenty of ways to do encryption in the browser where the private key remains with the user (Mozilla's sync for instance has this option), so I'm not sure why Mega isn't using a verifiable FOSS method instead.

Much like BitTorrent Sync, Mega could be promising if it was made to be Free and Open Source, extensible and able to be deployed by users, but sadly its a proprietary only, closed solution that uses a single storage network/platform that is exclusively hosted by a for-profit entity.

I'd suggest looking into Kolab (and the Swiss hosted MyKolab.com if you don't want to host it yourself) or OwnCloud if you want cloud storage either on your own hardware, or on hosting at the location of your choice that you can trust.

Sorry, unless the client is open source, there's no way to verify that someone behind the scenes isn't passing data to whatever MPAA/RIAA or government agency that wishes it. Besides, New Zealand isn't exactly known for being a bastion of privacy, unflinching when other nations agencies come calling. There are plenty of ways to do encryption in the browser where the private key remains with the user (Mozilla's sync for instance has this option), so I'm not sure why Mega isn't using a verifiable FOSS method instead.

Much like BitTorrent Sync, Mega could be promising if it was made to be Free and Open Source, extensible and able to be deployed by users, but sadly its a proprietary only, closed solution that uses a single storage network/platform that is exclusively hosted by a for-profit entity.

I'd suggest looking into Kolab (and the Swiss hosted MyKolab.com if you don't want to host it yourself) or OwnCloud if you want cloud storage either on your own hardware, or on hosting at the location of your choice that you can trust.

We can always trust Dropbox - yes, the cloud service with ties to the NSA's PRISM program. The NZ folks won't be so hasty to trust American law enforcement again when Dotcom made them his bitch when he took them to court over what they did to him.

We can always trust Dropbox - yes, the cloud service with ties to the NSA's PRISM program. The NZ folks won't be so hasty to trust American law enforcement again when Dotcom made them his bitch when he took them to court over what they did to him.

Just because the Americans won't be involved doesn't mean other reasons or entities won't get them to do it again.

Back