Dell: Our Laptops Do Not Contain Cat Urine

HardOCP News

[H] News
The public service announcement of the day is brought to you by Dell, laptops that smell like cat urine and the letter P.

According to Dell, the "smell is absolutely not urine or any other type of biological material. The parts have been tested and we have confirmed this 100%. The smell is caused by a manufacturing process which has now been changed." Dell says it's offering a replacement part, and that the problem doesn't affect newer versions of the laptop.

I wonder if the price of cat piss laptops will skyrocket now that they have become legacy items.

Shhh... It was human urine. I'd suggest giving the Chinese workers more money and benefits.

Heh.

We get in some stuff from China that has a horrible smell when you heat up the solder. It's "RoHS" compliant, but no idea what's in it to cause such a stench. We asked that supplier to use a different solder, and they have (most of the time).

Maybe this was Dell's attempt to add their own perfume to laptops, like how Mac's are support to be sprayed with Apple scented perfume when they're pacakged.

Nah, Certain resins and adhesives can have odors like this. Not what I would use for a consumer device though. someone obviously screwed up, but not a big deal.

What a coincidence. I actually had a Dell laptop come into my shop a couple weeks ago that a cat HAD pissed in. Owner couldn't figure out why it wouldn't turn on.

As lead tech for one of our client of whom we purchased over 20 of these models for, I have been keenly aware of this issue and Dell's responses of "try cleaning it" and "it must be something the end user did" were really starting to piss me off.

To top it off there replacement of the 6430u, the 7440, now has an engineering hold on them and they are not shipping any orders out.

So as of right now, they offer NO 14" ultrabooks on their business lines.

I have always been a Dell supporter but lately they are really ruffling my feathers.

Chill people. Just get a pine scented car air freshener and pretend that it covers up the urine smell.

I think my favorite part is how they assure us that they have thoroughly tested the issue. How? By having a cat piss on some and not others and doing a blind sniff test? Sending in a CSI team with swabs and plastic bags and UV cat piss detectors? How do you test for the presence of cat piss in an electrical component, especially since you know good and well there is none in there to begin with? My mind reels with the possibilities...

As lead tech for one of our client of whom we purchased over 20 of these models for, I have been keenly aware of this issue and Dell's responses of "try cleaning it" and "it must be something the end user did" were really starting to piss me off.

To top it off there replacement of the 6430u, the 7440, now has an engineering hold on them and they are not shipping any orders out.

So as of right now, they offer NO 14" ultrabooks on their business lines.

I have always been a Dell supporter but lately they are really ruffling my feathers.

Next time just ask for the Dell manual for cleaning cat piss :)

It's the first thing I think of when I consider purchasing electronic goods. Does this product contain any genuine bonafide cat urine? If not, could I get one that does?

It's the first thing I think of when I consider purchasing electronic goods. Does this product contain any genuine bonafide cat urine? If not, could I get one that does?

You need to look for the official "Cat Pee Inside" sticker. If it says "Celeron", you're getting close!

I was working at Best Buy and had just opened a brand new hp laptop. Suddenly the whole area smelled like garlic. It took my coworkers and me about 10minutes to realize the smell was coming from the brand new hp laptop box I had just opened. Not really sure how it could have happened.

I opened up some new document cameras packaged in "soy" packing frames instead of the traditional polystyrene. That stuff has a ghastly stench, and it seemed to linger on the equipment after it was removed.

Potentiometer lubricant tends to reek of piss after it sets in. Now imagine opening up a mixing desk with 80+ pots. Had trouble sleeping for a few days.

Back