Cellphone Stops Bullet Fired By Robber

Yep, This one fully stopped the bullet and didn't let it go through. Unlike the other stories that we saw before.

That was an HTC EVO 3D or LTE. If that had been an HTC One, he'd have been a dead man. EVO's are built like friggin' tanks. I own one and keep it in my shirt pocket all the time.

Looks like the battery is where it ended. I'm wondering what component in particular slowed it down the most. Didn't they do this on Mythbusters?

Looks like the battery is where it ended. I'm wondering what component in particular slowed it down the most. Didn't they do this on Mythbusters?

Yep. If anything will stop it, the battery will. But a phone isn't going to stop much. This guy is insanely lucky. It could have missed the battery and gone straight thru the phone and injured or killed him. I also want to know what caliber and type of bullet this was. Nothing in the article about it. That couldn't have been a large caliber. Most likely 9mm or smaller. If that had been a .45, the bullet would have gone through the phone like a hot knife thru butter. The bullet may even have had enough energy to go completely thru the victim.

I was going to say this had to have been a ricochet shot, but the police say otherwise that it was a short range direct shot. I find that unbelievable. I've shot through thick steel computer cases with ease:

"Police say the clerk sustained only minor injuries after the robber fired a bullet at the man's abdomen that was stopped by the cellphone."

Must have been some craptastic little snubnose wussy .32 or something. 9mm +P+ hollowpoints out of a 3.1" barrel are the lowest caliber I carry.

Any way you look at it, this is still amazing. Luck, tough construction, whatever...........Still frikkin' awesome in my book.

Just because they couldn't stop a bullet on Mythbusters, doesn't mean it can't stop a bullet. Granted they didn't use a phone, I think they tried a lighter, bible, and possibly a laptop.

Could have been cheap ammo. That range-only stuff carries little punch.

Yep. If anything will stop it, the battery will. But a phone isn't going to stop much. This guy is insanely lucky. It could have missed the battery and gone straight thru the phone and injured or killed him. I also want to know what caliber and type of bullet this was. Nothing in the article about it. That couldn't have been a large caliber. Most likely 9mm or smaller. If that had been a .45, the bullet would have gone through the phone like a hot knife thru butter. The bullet may even have had enough energy to go completely thru the victim.

I can't think of any way a thin lithium phone battery is stopping a 9mm. 400+lb ft of energy, nope. Besides the hole is too small in the front. More likely a 22 short or pellet gun or something. Pretty sure even most 22lr, ~150 lb ft of energy would go right through that just as easy, prove me wrong.

I can't think of any way a thin lithium phone battery is stopping a 9mm. 400+lb ft of energy, nope. Besides the hole is too small in the front. More likely a 22 short or pellet gun or something. Pretty sure even most 22lr, ~150 lb ft of energy would go right through that just as easy, prove me wrong.

Note too that the picture shows the shot not dead center, so hitting the edge of the battery more likely added a lot more stopping power.

It has to do with the phone not being held perfectly in place.

If you bolted a phone or anything else down with nothing behind it, a bullet will go through much easier.

If a bullet hits a free moving object, such as a phone in a loose pocket, the bullet will hit the phone, and the phone will move which will help absorb some of the energy. Then when the phone hits the person, their flesh will absorb some more of the impact, thus helping to keep the bullet from going all the way through.

Simple physics.

I am guessing the person knew that they were hit, they just didn't know at first that the bullet had hit their phone. I am also guessing that they have a nice large bruise where the phone impacted them.

I'm not going to prove you wrong. You are likely correct.:cool:

That is why I said "9mm or smaller". I knew it had to be a small caliber, just wasn't sure which one. I couldn't judge the hole size, so I guessed.

Note too that the picture shows the shot not dead center, so hitting the edge of the battery more likely added a lot more stopping power.

Fair point. There are some rare situations where stopping power is much higher than you would assume.

If the story is correct, it was probably a .22 LR with hollowpoint or accelerated ammo.

Revolvers now come in limited calibers. .25 ACP or .32 ACP have little pentration power, but they aren't in revolvers. If the Idiot Scumbag used .22 shorts it's highly likely. These are the ones used at carnival shooting galleries.

Note: Teddy Roosevelt was shot point blank in the chest with a pistol. His folded up speech notes slowed the bullet enough to save his life.

A body builder in New Jersey who drove a cab, was shot in the chest with a .25 ACP. He was wearing a leather jacket, and tensed his muscles before being shot. The bullet did not break the skin.

Now for you felons or home defenders. You dump the mag or pull the trigger until it just clicks when you want to stop somebody. There is no pistol on earth that will guarantee a 1 shot kill. People have been shot 7 times with .45 ACP's and lived.

I've seen several stories throughout the years about laptop batteries and cellphone batteries stopping bullets now. The Mythbusters shot a laptop point blank and the battery inside prevented the bullet from passing through. Pretty amazing.

I saw a man take a bullet to the face when I was a emt and it knocked him out. the bullet bounced off the bottom of his skull and stopped in the spine.
I met a woman once who took 4 45 caliber bullet in the chest threw and threw and lived with some awesome conversation scars I must say!

Wonder if cell insurance will replace it for him.

If the story is correct, it was probably a .22 LR with hollowpoint or accelerated ammo.

Revolvers now come in limited calibers. .25 ACP or .32 ACP have little pentration power, but they aren't in revolvers. If the Idiot Scumbag used .22 shorts it's highly likely. These are the ones used at carnival shooting galleries.

Note: Teddy Roosevelt was shot point blank in the chest with a pistol. His folded up speech notes slowed the bullet enough to save his life.

A body builder in New Jersey who drove a cab, was shot in the chest with a .25 ACP. He was wearing a leather jacket, and tensed his muscles before being shot. The bullet did not break the skin.

Now for you felons or home defenders. You dump the mag or pull the trigger until it just clicks when you want to stop somebody. There is no pistol on earth that will guarantee a 1 shot kill. People have been shot 7 times with .45 ACP's and lived.

Ah, yes. I didn't catch that. I don't think there are any .25 ACP revolvers either.

My guess is 38 special with some cheap lead target ammo, similar in size to a 9mm but less power, and a much softer bullet that lost lots of energy from deformation , the glass probably took most of the bite out it.

Probably a cheap old revolver that was out of time, and/or with large cylinder gap. Losing half the power of the already weak .22.

That was an HTC EVO 3D or LTE. If that had been an HTC One, he'd have been a dead man. EVO's are built like friggin' tanks. I own one and keep it in my shirt pocket all the time.

3D. You can see the camera glass above the battery.

Evo 3D. You can tell by the camera placement on the back is halfway down the phone with the led above it, doesn't show the 2nd camera though.
And EVOs ARE tanks.
Didn't have mine 30 days and I had a semi run up and over my car which wound up flattening the roof and throwing the vehicle about 20' back into someone's front lawn.
Evo came out of my pocket, dented the dash, took one little ding at on the plastic at the top and cracked just a hair on the side, almost 3 years later and it still works.
Just upgraded to a LG Optimus G in March, after toting the EVO for so long it still feels like its going to break the OpG my hands.

Wonder if cell insurance will replace it for him.

depends on insurance company. First smart phone I purchased (Motorola milestone) I got the insurance on it cause I was going on a long trip to BC and I can be retarded at times.... I dropped it in ocean lol. Had a brand new phone 2 days after returning from the trip thanks to insurance, they covered everything except purposely damaging the phone, was pretty awesome.

Back