Microsoft Dismisses Xbox One OS Concerns

HardOCP News

[H] News
Only in the console world would a story like this ever get off the ground based on super investigating like this:

Ok, first off: the origin of the rumor. I was contacted by someone claiming to be a dev. He told me a bunch of info. I had no idea if it was true or not. I know a lot of people really hate me currently so I was very wary that I was being trolled by a well-informed person. I was looking for other sources for hours. Nothing. And then I got partial verification from another dev (not that he/she disagreed with part, but only knew part and said it was 100% correct) and then at once I got verification by two people who have never wronged me. So this isn’t flimsy but I’m still filing it under rumor because, well, it is. But it isn’t.

I once knew a girl who's brother was in the army that went to school with a kid that sat behind a girl in Spanish class with a teacher from Spain that lived next door to an old lady who's son went to an American Univeristy that dated a girl that played WOW all the time with a group of guys that one of the guys used to go to elementary school with another dude who worked at Google that said Google was also coming out with a console of their own.
True story

I once knew a girl who's brother was in the army that went to school with a kid that sat behind a girl in Spanish class with a teacher from Spain that lived next door to an old lady who's son went to an American Univeristy that dated a girl that played WOW all the time with a group of guys that one of the guys used to go to elementary school with another dude who worked at Google that said Google was also coming out with a console of their own.
True story

Can I cite you as a source? You can remain anonymous.....

"(insert console) catches on FIRE!"
"(insert console) KILLS BABIES!"
"PROOF that (insert console) sucks worse than (insert console)"
"(insert console) has already won the war"
"(insert console) are experiencing the red/yellow ROD all over again!"

:D

True story

i know her too :p

Looks like typical web "journalism" to me. What's the big surprise?

It's not 100% positive proof, but a friend of the developer, that knows a 7/11 store clerk, who serves a hot looking chick, who's dating a waiter, that served food to a delivery guy, who drops off mail at the developers studio said that it has problems...So it must be true.

With NEOGAF and twitter folks it's a matter of looking at track records, amount of leaks from various sources, and general statements made by Industry players.

It's a game of connect the dots, and the same people who said COD: Ghosts along with BF4 differences would be evident are the same ones saying this.

They all have fairly accurate histories of leaks. They will probably get most everything fixed by release but unlike ridiculous stuff from 4Chan most of this stuff is probably true to a point.

Where there is smoke there is fire.

The PS4 is the evident better console hardware wise (feature-wise, there were alot that were good with the xbox one except for the once per 24hr per day online requirement, that I really liked, oh well anyway..), but seriously the die hard Playstation zealots out there are really annoying, almost behaving like die hard apple fanboys already.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

I wonder if the rumor agreed to the information being published? I've talked with MSFT folks on different subjects, but some have said that there is no repeating it. I run a MS based site, but if they say no, it's no. No NDA or anything, just trust. I work with a guy whose wife works there. So, a couple degrees of separation, but I get to talk to her directly, which is nice. :)

But, I treat stuff like this as a rumor. Unless it's a 100% reliable and verifiable source, it's still not 100% true.

The PS4 is the evident better console hardware wise (feature-wise, there were alot that were good with the xbox one except for the once per 24hr per day online requirement, that I really liked, oh well anyway..), but seriously the die hard Playstation zealots out there are really annoying, almost behaving like die hard apple fanboys already.

New Batman game has DRM (on the PS3 anyway), so welcome to the new era of gaming, where even your trophy collection is checked to see if you pirated those.

With NEOGAF and twitter folks it's a matter of looking at track records, amount of leaks from various sources, and general statements made by Industry players.

And then there are those people that have been in this industry for 15 years and know 20+ people that are currently working on a dozen or more next-gen titles...and none of them have never heard of any of the "issues" in this article. Hell, we have forum members that work for Sony, Microsoft, various big game developers, etc. etc. etc. and none of them are reporting on these "issues."

....but dude in his basement with no industry ties or contacts is quoting info from someone he doesn't know, never met, can't even verify if they are a developer...and that's a credible source?

Heh... you have to admit that's pretty damn funny. :D

This isn't their first console rodeo.

The first two were pretty sorted from day one so I cant imagine third time round they could drop the ball so badly.

Click bait I guess.

And then there are those people that have been in this industry for 15 years and know 20+ people that are currently working on a dozen or more next-gen titles...and none of them have never heard of any of the "issues" in this article. Hell, we have forum members that work for Sony, Microsoft, various big game developers, etc. etc. etc. and none of them are reporting on these "issues."

Forum members here working for big name companies are too smart to declare their employers and then get dragged up in this stuff. That is what accounts on NeoGAF are for.

Microsoft will not launch the XO with a large number of problems. They still have a few weeks and deep pockets to get things figured out. Plus just because a few devs may be having problems with a certain feature, that doesn't mean everyone is.

My dog groomer's - husband's - best friend's - nephew's - best friend's - father said that the PS4 is just a plastic case stuffed with C4 with a randomised timer.

Here is the thing, Microsoft's assholish nature makes Sony look like a knight in shining armor. Microsoft is staffed by assholes, seriously. Just take a look at their Stack Ranking for employees. Microsoft's divisions fight and scheme against one another. They cock-block good ideas from other divisions. etc.

....but dude in his basement with no industry ties or contacts is quoting info from someone he doesn't know, never met, can't even verify if they are a developer...and that's a credible source?

According to the article you posted, this dude in his basement was the 1st to report about the Driveclub delay days before Sony had officially announced it. He likely has contacts in the industry if he's posting on GAF.

Insiders are probably being careful to either keep their mouths shut or remain anonymous, since that one GoW developer caused a shitstorm via Twitter last month.

I'm sure Microsoft will straighten out any issues, if there are any, but I doubt they're happy with additional bad press (whether real or imagined).

Here is the thing, Microsoft's assholish nature makes Sony look like a knight in shining armor. Microsoft is staffed by assholes, seriously. Just take a look at their Stack Ranking for employees. Microsoft's divisions fight and scheme against one another. They cock-block good ideas from other divisions. etc.

Do you actually know any Microsoft employees? Because we do, and they are all great people, some of them are even your fellow forum members. :confused:

(as mentioned earlier we have friends and forums members from damn near every company you can think of, none are assholes that I know of :()

According to the article you posted, this dude in his basement was the 1st to report about the Driveclub delay days before Sony had officially announced it. He likely has contacts in the industry if he's posting on GAF.

I was referring to his own statement that he didn't know the person, never met them, didn't know of they were a developer, thought they could be trolling him, couldn't find any info to confirm what he heard, etc. etc. etc. Also, damn near everyone knew about the Driveclub delay ahead of time, it's not like it was a secret.

Insiders are probably being careful to either keep their mouths shut or remain anonymous, since that one GoW developer caused a shitstorm via Twitter last month.

I'm sure Microsoft will straighten out any issues, if there are any, but I doubt they're happy with additional bad press (whether real or imagined).

What you seem to be overlooking is that stating "well he was right once" doesn't really prove he knows anything or anyone, I would have to ask "Okay, but how many times have what he stated later be proven to be a pile of bullshit," as that could be a far more telling number.

In addition, as Steve points out above, the author "he didn't know the person, never met them, didn't know of they were a developer, thought they could be trolling him, couldn't find any info to confirm what he heard" which doesn't seem like someone you would trust, especially if you wish to be taken seriously, so unless you believe that since he told you this over the internet that it must be true, then his judgment, and even objectivity, has to be questioned

Heh... you have to admit that's pretty damn funny. :D

NDAs are SRS BSNS.

...Microsoft employees... some of them are even your fellow forum members...

none are assholes that I know of :()

Hi. ;) I drive really slow in the ultra fast lane.... but seriously, I can totally be an asshole, or at least passionate and willing to debate (which I've been informed comes across as being an asshole). Usually I try to tone it down, but sometimes frustration gets the best of me.

Towards the subject at hand:
From what I see, obviously the team is putting in a lot of time to get this out the door. That's normal for any product I've worked on, here or otherwise. As you get close to shipping, there's that last minute rush to get the last things fixed, tested, and ready to go out the door. I haven't heard any of the rumors that Kotaku was circulating, but I guess that's what makes them rumors. Major Nelson hit it right on the head: lots of developers have XB1 units at home, and they are using them nightly.

Either way, there's three weeks left until the thing is available. Then we can get one of the [H] reviews that got me coming here in the first place, and finally put pre-release speculation to rest :).

Are you seriously saying that with a straight face when compared to Sony? The company that took "Our way or the highway" to the next level? The company where everything has to be proprietary no matter what, even worse than Apple? The company whose online portion of their console was hacked multiple times and their initial reactions were all screw the customer? That takes balls man, seriously large, hairy, malformed balls. Did you live near Fukushima?

True story

LOL you just made my day hahahahaha

True story

American University students are douchepuddles. Your story therefore has no merit. :p

Hi. ;) I drive really slow in the ultra fast lane.... but seriously, I can totally be an asshole, or at least passionate and willing to debate (which I've been informed comes across as being an asshole). Usually I try to tone it down, but sometimes frustration gets the best of me.

A long as you use facts and logic, it's not being an asshole. I see people spouting their own opinion as it was fact, when other people have no problems.

"It doesn't work."
"Yes, here's proof. Works just fine"
"Nope. Doesn't work. It's a piece of shit. Fuck the world. It's fake. You're just a fanboy. blah blah blah"

That's where I can see frustration coming in. With the XBox One, I'm sure there will be some initial problems. A release this big - there will be something. Even if it's minor. I expect it, though. Even in PC gaming we have problems. Immature drivers when games or hardware is released. Patches coming out the first day or two. Glitches. You're taking a product out of a controlled test environment and throwing it into a huge production one and hoping you planned resources enough to cover the demand.

I would have to ask "Okay, but how many times have what he stated later be proven to be a pile of bullshit," as that could be a far more telling number.

You say far more telling like you have some idea of the number of times he had been wrong compared to how many times he was right.

I know how many times, do you?

True story

I once new this guy, who knew this guy, who knew this guy, who knew this guy, who knew this guy, who knew this guy...

tumblr_le5ua1PyzT1qaxjh5o1_500.jpg

Honestly if I were to expect any issues devs would be complaining about would probably be finally having to code for multiple cores instead of half ass coding for a single core like most of the crap getting jammed down out throats.

Let's say they are right and the OS had some major bugs right now the 30th of October. Do people even realize that this isn't 2005? There will be a patch likely one MS has been working on for a while now and when it drops day one will more than likely take care of whatever is floating around in rumorville NEOGAF. It's part of the reason I can't stand that forum , much of it is purely fanboy flaming and complaints about other forum users.

The amount of trolling going on against the Xbox One is really annoying. It would be so funny to have Sony drop a patch day one that just bricks consoles left and right..

They will just disable the annoying parts of the OS with the day 1 patch and add it back at a later date is what logic dictates.

The network deal is kinda different tho, they treated that part as a standard pc leaving the devs to do their own approach, instead of making a standard way to connect, chat and be online, this is still fixable but will take more time.

Still don't think that i will ever gonna get a One. /shrugs.

Back