The $25,000 Mac Pro Workstation

doesn't include apple tax. and hes using base costs. that xeon is $2600 to purchase if you buy 1000 of them. thats 2600000 you need to shell out before you can get one. Apple will include a extra surcharge over that. Same with ram no apple tax, (we've seen 2gb upgrades for $400 and this guy thinks they will give 64gb for $800?)

tl:dr probably north of $25000

It comes in red? That would give me nightmares about it having fold out spinning blades like Maximilian from The Black Hole.

Mac graphics cost more than pc graphics for the same card, so you have to add a few more bucks.
64gb will probably be in the $1k range.

That would give me nightmares about it having fold out spinning blades like Maximilian from The Black Hole.

/end of thread

I dont think anyone can beat that response lol

Too bad Apple doesn't have a compatible hardware after-market, which limits memory and drives to Apple only. :rolleyes:

Too bad Apple doesn't have a compatible hardware after-market, which limits memory and drives to Apple only. :rolleyes:

huh? I put a regular SanDisk SSD and some HP and Dell server memory I got off another [H] member in my macpro and it worked just fine?

It comes in red? That would give me nightmares about it having fold out spinning blades like Maximilian from The Black Hole.
The red Mac Pro is a one-off Product RED version that's going to be auctioned off by Sotheby's for charity.

the vid cards in this thing are ~$600 each, so 1/2 of the $3k base is in the video cards. I fully agree the ram and SSD prices from Apple are silly. Also bumps in CPU Ghz, but at least the SSD and Ram you can replace yourself for cheaper.

There are three basic types, Mr. gunbust3r: the Wills, the Won'ts, and the Can'ts. The Wills accomplish everything, the Won'ts oppose everything, and the Can'ts won't try anything.

I find it funny how none of the current Mac peripherals match the Pro's black finish.

yep, woosh, too used to the apple bashing here lol

no; SATA... I have an older mac pro I picked up off craigslist for $300, I be poor yo lol

interesting they are using PCIe, I am sure OWC will have their PCIe SSDs be compatible

Not that interesting. By going TrashCanATX, they designed themselves into a hole where the only way to have peripherals was PCIe riser cards. Simply a terrible choice of form factor, for no real reason.

Not that interesting. By going TrashCanATX, they designed themselves into a hole where the only way to have peripherals was PCIe riser cards. Simply a terrible choice of form factor, for no real reason.

Maybe you should think different.

so a Windows PC equivalent costs what, half or less, then just install mac os on it or in a vm

Someone's age is showing... though I'll confess that I saw it when it came out...at the DRIVE IN! :eek:

Back on topic...YIKES!!! I'm so glad I'm not in the market for a next gen top of the line Mac Pro!

The Black Hole came out before I was born, but the image of Maximilian in hell at the very end gave me nightmares as a kid. Good ol' Disney.

Years later scientists decided that white and blue looked much better on the early "R2D2" prototype.

Great! A garbage can shaped computer I can roast marshmallows over. Given the hardware they managed to squeeze into those I don't think it will be difficult either.

Wow, I had to use Ctrl-F to find the Crysis comment. Guess its not so much of a benchmark anymore.

It's good to see Apple making their products cheaper to broaden the market share

so a Windows PC equivalent costs what, half or less, then just install mac os on it or in a vm

In all fairness, prices would probably be reasonably similar due to this being a workstation-class machine. Sure, if you got the components yourself you might be able to build a similar machine for less, but I'm guessing many people and/or businesses buying these kinds of machines buy a prebuilt workstation from HP/Dell/etc.

doesn't include apple tax. and hes using base costs. that xeon is $2600 to purchase if you buy 1000 of them. thats 2600000 you need to shell out before you can get one. Apple will include a extra surcharge over that. Same with ram no apple tax, (we've seen 2gb upgrades for $400 and this guy thinks they will give 64gb for $800?)

tl:dr probably north of $25000

You know... he could be going off the prices that the old Mac Pro charged..
The old one maxxed out with all the monitors and software/printer/etc at 23000 ish

I like how Apple always compares their new product against their last revision... smart I guess.

My wife couldn't understand why I wanted my current computer vs. an iMac. I made a computational and file transfer rate chart showing the difference... you could barely see the iMac's bars on the bar chart. :)

Half the cost is made up of add-ons like monitors and other things
When maxxed out, a Mac Pro is only $1000-2000 more expensive at most

ya as much as I love my mac pro when I saw the new one my initial reaction was "that's some kind of joke right?"

Back