Nintendo Wii's Last Holdout is the United States

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are looking to buy a Wii for the holiday season, you better be living in the US or the pickins’ will be mighty slim. The US is the last stronghold for the Wii, being that it has already been discontinued in Japan and now all of Europe.

"There is no change in the status of Wii in the United States and it is available for purchase this holiday season."

The PC version of Wii games look so much better. Why care enough to buy a Wii? Just get a Wiimote and dolphin that up.

guesswhicho6lk.jpg

The PC version of Wii games look so much better. Why care enough to buy a Wii? Just get a Wiimote and dolphin that up.

guesswhicho6lk.jpg

Is that a GC title or Wii?

Also, what equipment do you need to hook up a Wiimote? Just bluetooth? Is a sensor bar needed?

Dolphin is a Wii emulator; yes you need Bluetooth and a sensor bar (or equivalent).

If you are looking to buy a Wii for the holiday season....

I feel sorry for the little kid who wakes up Christmas morning, runs downstairs, tears open all his presents expecting to find the brand new ps4 or xbox one he asked for, but instead finds a 3rd-rate console that is older than he is.

I feel sorry for the little kid who wakes up Christmas morning, runs downstairs, tears open all his presents expecting to find the brand new ps4 or xbox one he asked for, but instead finds a 3rd-rate console that is older than he is.

Cruel and unusual.

Is that a GC title or Wii?

Also, what equipment do you need to hook up a Wiimote? Just bluetooth? Is a sensor bar needed?

A $10 usb bluetooth adapter and a wireless sensor bar which is also $10. Also yea, that's the wii version. Probably doesn't matter all that much, considering nether the Wii nor the GameCube were HD consoles.

You need a beefy CPU though to play Wii games fast. Specifically an Intel i5 or better. I have an AMD 4100 overclocked and it barely plays Metroid Prime 3. Also the Wiimote isn't required, since you could use the mouse. But I'm sure there would be problems without the real thing.

guesswhicho6lk.jpg

Right because spending hours finding a config that works and doesn't cause crashes or random game stopping errors is way more reliable than just popping a disc in and playing.

I love the Dolphin but until they add individual game profiles and continue to improve stability ...no.

Right because spending hours finding a config that works and doesn't cause crashes or random game stopping errors is way more reliable than just popping a disc in and playing.

I love the Dolphin but until they add individual game profiles and continue to improve stability ...no.

But, console gaming on the PC makes us the master race. :D

I found emulating Wii games fun, but it did take a lot of work to get things running just right. As an owner of a Wii, it didn't make a whole lot of sense. I could just pop the game in and play. Sure, the higher resolution was nice. When it comes to the older consoles, though, I find it more worthwhile. The additional filters and new textures and such can make a 20+ year old game look like it was just released (still a platformer or whatever, but high res textures, etc.). I still love firing up the old consoles and playing those, but having everything all in one is awesome.

The Wii is a great console. You do have to filter through all the shit to find the good games and not the gimmicky 'whoa, motion controls!' games. I want to upgrade to a Wii U, but it's still too expensive for what few games I would play on it.

But, console gaming on the PC makes us the master race. :D

I found emulating Wii games fun, but it did take a lot of work to get things running just right. As an owner of a Wii, it didn't make a whole lot of sense. I could just pop the game in and play. Sure, the higher resolution was nice. When it comes to the older consoles, though, I find it more worthwhile. The additional filters and new textures and such can make a 20+ year old game look like it was just released (still a platformer or whatever, but high res textures, etc.). I still love firing up the old consoles and playing those, but having everything all in one is awesome.

The Wii is a great console. You do have to filter through all the shit to find the good games and not the gimmicky 'whoa, motion controls!' games. I want to upgrade to a Wii U, but it's still too expensive for what few games I would play on it.

I have a Wii that mostly gets used for Netflix for the kids. I actually got it so I could run emulators on it for NES, SNES, etc.

Plus being able to use an external drive is pretty nice too.

There are actually quite a few good games for the Wii. If I had time, I would actually play them.

To me using Dolphin over a real Wii is beneficial cause of the enhanced graphics. The only real problem is dealing with getting .ISO files of the game, and connecting the Wiimote to the PC. The emulators default settings are surprisingly good, and the emulator is very reliable, at least Dolphin 4.0 is.

If I'm going to revisit old games, I want enhanced graphics. Dolphin allows you to go crazy with graphics. I just use a higher resolution and lots of filtering and the games are very acceptable. But if you have a powerful PC you can get custom high resolution texture packs which makes the games look amazing.

But hey if convenience is more important then graphics then go out and get a real Wii. To each their own.

Just picked one up for my son. He's 6 so doesn't know any better, but the sole purpose is to get him into retro games with the virtual console. Ironically, the Wii U just doesn't seem child friendly with the touch screen. He found a way to scratch my iPad screen and I can't even do that with a set of keys!

Ouch I would feel sorry for that kid...ever watch something on TV that made you cringe with embarrassment. Even just envisioning this scenario gives me that same feeling.

Blame the parents for not setting expectations.
Not everyone can afford $500 consoles, if little Timmy is gonna cry about it, maybe he doesn't deserve any console.

Blame the parents for not setting expectations.
Not everyone can afford $500 consoles, if little Timmy is gonna cry about it, maybe he doesn't deserve any console.

"You crying because you didn't get the Xbox One?! I worked my ass off for this Wii, two jobs to put food on the table, etc.. Fuck that!". Take the Wii back, get diapers for the little guy.

If a kid is that spoiled, then it's kind of fucked up. Many people can't afford even a used Wii... I was planning on picking one up and donating it to Toys for Tots this year. May be an older system, but I'm sure someone would love to have it.

Back