Windows 8.1 Activation Has Been Bypassed

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Faster than a speeding bullet, no we aren’t referring to Superman, but to the speed in which the activation on the newly released Windows 8.1 has been bypassed. Kinda reminds me of stealing a bicycle with a flat tire. :D

With Windows 8.1 being only a few days old we dare to say that we’ll probably start seeing a lot more “activated” copies of the OS being installed thanks to this hack.

Seems like a horrible idea. Not only is running a cracked version of an OS lame as hell, but couldn't MS just throw in a patch that reverts it back to a non-activated copy?

This won't last long. Whoever is admin at National Chengchi University should have this fixed pretty soon, and probably will also be looking for a new job shortly. :p

MS didn't include any authentication or rate limiting or similar in the kms system. So if someone screws up their firewall configuration it's easy to leave a kms wide open to anyone on the internet to use.

If one becomes sufficiently well known i'm sure MS will take steps to shut it down and blacklist the key it was using but if they really cared why did they design the system like that in the first place?!

Seems like a horrible idea. Not only is running a cracked version of an OS lame as hell, but couldn't MS just throw in a patch that reverts it back to a non-activated copy?

#1 The OS is lame, not the hack.
#2 A patch fix only works if the person applies the patch.
#3 Who the hell wants to pirate Windows 8.1?

If they want 8.1 that bad, I say let the punishment fit the crime. It's wrecked my usb 3.0 connectivty

The hack it mentions though, doesn't it require reactivation after a certain amount of time like any other Enterprise version?

I recall that being the issue with the Office 2013 Enterprise hack-- you have to run the KMS server in the background or at startup/bootup then reactivate after 90 days or something. It's rather inconvenient if you have to do that over and over again.

I'd rather just buy the product and not have to deal with these hacks, because then you have to deal with Windows Updates breaking them (if you accidentally installed it) and waiting for a new hack to bypass it.

And even it you have legitimate copies, you can still have activation problems.

We have an enterprise license, and I have images with Windows 7 and office 2010, so when I need to reload a laptop, I simply load the image. I used to be able to just choose to activate office when I started an office application the first time, but if I load the current updates (specifically SP2 for office), Office will fail the activation. Luckily there is a work around to manually run program to activate the software.

I won't even go into how many times updates have broken something on one of my servers......

The hack it mentions though, doesn't it require reactivation after a certain amount of time like any other Enterprise version?

I recall that being the issue with the Office 2013 Enterprise hack-- you have to run the KMS server in the background or at startup/bootup then reactivate after 90 days or something. It's rather inconvenient if you have to do that over and over again.

I'd rather just buy the product and not have to deal with these hacks, because then you have to deal with Windows Updates breaking them (if you accidentally installed it) and waiting for a new hack to bypass it.

Don't have to worry about it once its activated with the kms hacks. I wont go into further details but its actually pretty convenient if you know what your doing.

With Windows 7 when you do Windows Update there is an update that checks for authenticity but it is unchecked by default. I think that is strange for Microsoft to do to include it as an update but to have it the only one out of about 100 not to install.

The general consensus amongst pirates is that Windows 8/8.1 isn't even worth it. However, I'm guessing for crackers it's more of a, "I did it!" than a, "Cool I just scored a copy of Windows..........8/8.1"

Who knows, if Windows 8 was as easy to pirate as the previous versions of Windows without the additional hoops, it might have boosted their numbers a bit.

We have an enterprise license, and I have images with Windows 7 and office 2010, so when I need to reload a laptop, I simply load the image. I used to be able to just choose to activate office when I started an office application the first time, but if I load the current updates (specifically SP2 for office), Office will fail the activation. Luckily there is a work around to manually run program to activate the software.

I won't even go into how many times updates have broken something on one of my servers......
It's one of the reasons I will eventually go linux. I really hate dealing with activation. Though to be fair, you don't have to deal with activation on Mac OS X either. Credit where credit is due, Apple doesn't make you suffer.

My only concern when switching to Linux is Netflix and some games.

With Windows 7 when you do Windows Update there is an update that checks for authenticity but it is unchecked by default. I think that is strange for Microsoft to do to include it as an update but to have it the only one out of about 100 not to install.
There's a good reason for that. There's a lot of people pirating Windows 7, and if the updates were to install automatically, it would create technical support chaos. The reason is because a lot of the people who have a pirated copy of Windows 7, don't know that. All they know is that they get a message that says they're not Genuine, and call Microsoft to complain.

All those phone calls can tie up their technical support staff, to deal with people who didn't pay for the OS, and don't even know it. Microsoft hopes that people will pay a small fee to get a legit copy, but those people just continue to use the OS without a background and don't care.

You'd be surprised.

I'm getting so sick of the Windows 8/8.1 ducks bandwagon. Sigh....

The only way I'd ever "upgrade" to Windows 8.1 is if there was a permanent activation crack. My license for Windows 7 mysteriously quit working, so now to activate I have to call Microsoft. Since I don't get paid to waste my time for MS I probably used an alternate means of authenticating. Of course, there's other reasons I don't want 8.1.

Yes but only if you enable automatic updates. In fact, Microsoft was actually kind enough (for Win 7 anyway, not sure about 8 now) to separate that particular patch that by manually selecting what updates to install, you can easily spot that particular patch and not install it (and get all the other security patch). It's like they weren't even trying to stop users from pirating Windows.

I'm getting so sick of the Windows 8/8.1 ducks bandwagon. Sigh....

I'm more sick of the ducks background in Windows8/8.1. I mean, what the ducks was Microsoft thinking?

[imghttp://www.windows8theme.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Mandarin-Duck.jpg[/img]

Mandarin-Duck.jpg

With the KMS activator on w7 it doesn't matter if you run automatic updates. It's pretty much an authentic version (well as authentic as a pirated version can get). You get all the updates including any SP's and can install all other MS products like office.

Yes but only if you enable automatic updates. In fact, Microsoft was actually kind enough (for Win 7 anyway, not sure about 8 now) to separate that particular patch that by manually selecting what updates to install, you can easily spot that particular patch and not install it (and get all the other security patch). It's like they weren't even trying to stop users from pirating Windows.

Whether you install that patch or not it does nothing to stop a non legit machine from working. Mine is legit so I have no need to worry about it either way, but I know others running pirated versions who have all the updates installed including the activation hack patch and everything works fine.
That being said, who in their right mind wants to pirate 8/8.1?
Go ahead and say I'm on the bandwagon if you wish, plan on riding it for a long time to come.

installed including the activation hack patch and everything works fine.
Go ahead and say I'm on the bandwagon if you wish, plan on riding it for a long time to come.

After dealing with two Windows 8 laptops in my family for quite long time I can safely say that it sucks. There is no bandwagon, it is just bad and I (and a lot of people) hate it with passion. But then couple of months back I finally gave up and tried the classic shell. Now they function more or less like Windows 7 and I felt relief (and stupid for being so stubborn and beating my head against the metro-wall).

But that doesnt change my opinion about Windows 8 because what I am now essentially doing is using hacks to make it tolerable, which is something I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO in the first place! So yes, Windows 8 can burn in hell...

Oh I know a few people that are on Windows 7 that wouldn't mind upgrading to 8 but to them, the UI isn't the issue, it's the cost. So, believe me, there are people who will go to 8. One friend of mine thinks most [major] PC games will drop Windows 7 when Microsoft pushes DirectX 11.2 more due to the XboxONE, which as you know is exclusive to Windows 8.1 (and higher). But, to her, $99.99 for Windows 8.1 OEM then $139.99 for Windows 8.1 Pro OEM, or $119.99 for full version of 8.1 and $199.99 for 8.1 Pro is just too expensive for her.

There was an old argument I remember several years ago during the time of Windows XP, and it got brought up again when Microsoft announced ending support for it. I don't remember if this started on MDL forums or another site, but the argument for cracking and "hack-tivating" Windows was the fear that Microsoft will end not only support but activation as well for older operating systems. So, basically, if Microsoft ended activation for Windows XP and there are users who still need it for older software, especially 16-bit software if they still run them like older games, that are incompatible with newer operating systems, they could activate it themselves bypassing Microsoft altogether. It isn't about pirating software to them with this argument but maintaining an older software and obtaining updates available on other sites outside of Microsoft. The same can be applied to Windows 7-- what if Microsoft ended activation for the OS ten years from now? If they did and people refuse to move to their newer operating systems because Microsoft radically changed the desktop OS and UI, there wouldn't be a way to legitimately activate it. So, "hack-tivating" would be a viable option.

The other argument is, like my friend, the cost. You are basically paying a price premium to run Windows-only software and pay for it a lot more than what one pays for OSX. Linux-based distros are even cheaper-- free for the most part. Activating Windows is another issue as Microsoft falsely believes this would stop piracy of their software. It was never liked before when they started it with Windows XP and it's still not liked even now. Especially for users who change hardware often or have more than one computer in their household, it's ridiculous to even consider paying $99.99 to $139.99 times whatever number of computers you have in your own home, and activate all of them altogether. Four computers with Windows 8.1 (non-Pro) is already just under $400 (8.1 OEM x 4) before any taxes and possible shipping (if they didn't go the digital download route). So, on that other extreme, there are people who want to bypass Microsoft altogether and not pay this "royalty fee" to them just to run Windows software.

In between, there are those who legitimately buy the operating system and haven't gravitated to either side of "hack-tivating" Windows for various reasons. Either because of inconvenience or lack of knowledge of how to do this themselves.

If WINE was perfect or there was a way to run Windows software without Windows on Linux instead of virtualization, I would honestly believe a lot of people would move to Linux-based distros in a heartbeat. But, nothing is perfect and many major software developers refuse to port anything to Linux. It's going to take Microsoft to do something so ridiculous that it would turn away devoted Windows customers to move to another operating system, and the Windows 8.1 UI is not that tipping point just yet. The cost and activation hassles is not even it either, it has to be something even crazier and off-putting than these three combined to be that tipping point. It may happen with the next version of Windows or the one after that.

The only way I'd ever "upgrade" to Windows 8.1 is if there was a permanent activation crack. My license for Windows 7 mysteriously quit working, so now to activate I have to call Microsoft. Since I don't get paid to waste my time for MS I probably used an alternate means of authenticating. Of course, there's other reasons I don't want 8.1.

How often do you reactive that you have an issue?

Because that sounds like your issue there. OEM versions of windows can only be activated once. Retail can be activated 3 times.

If you are using a volume license of some type, you have a larger number of activations per key, but will still run into the same issue

If WINE was perfect or there was a way to run Windows software without Windows on Linux instead of virtualization, I would honestly believe a lot of people would move to Linux-based distros in a heartbeat. But, nothing is perfect and many major software developers refuse to port anything to Linux. It's going to take Microsoft to do something so ridiculous that it would turn away devoted Windows customers to move to another operating system, and the Windows 8.1 UI is not that tipping point just yet. The cost and activation hassles is not even it either, it has to be something even crazier and off-putting than these three combined to be that tipping point. It may happen with the next version of Windows or the one after that.

WINE isn't too far off. There's a new Direct 3D code that's going to speed up games massively. In some cases, even out performing Windows. Compatibly is still an issue, but thanks to Steam there's a lot more attention being given to Linux.

WINE isn't too far off. There's a new Direct 3D code that's going to speed up games massively. In some cases, even out performing Windows. Compatibly is still an issue, but thanks to Steam there's a lot more attention being given to Linux.

I'm keeping an eye on both-- WINE and SteamOS. I definitely looking forward to what both can do. I would not be surprised WINE gets added or baked into SteamOS somewhere down the line once the new Direct3D code is implemented and compatibility is improved.

Oh I know a few people that are on Windows 7 that wouldn't mind upgrading to 8 but to them, the UI isn't the issue, it's the cost. So, believe me, there are people who will go to 8. One friend of mine thinks most [major] PC games will drop Windows 7 when Microsoft pushes DirectX 11.2 more due to the XboxONE, which as you know is exclusive to Windows 8.1 (and higher). But, to her, $99.99 for Windows 8.1 OEM then $139.99 for Windows 8.1 Pro OEM, or $119.99 for full version of 8.1 and $199.99 for 8.1 Pro is just too expensive for her.

There was an old argument I remember several years ago during the time of Windows XP, and it got brought up again when Microsoft announced ending support for it. I don't remember if this started on MDL forums or another site, but the argument for cracking and "hack-tivating" Windows was the fear that Microsoft will end not only support but activation as well for older operating systems. So, basically, if Microsoft ended activation for Windows XP and there are users who still need it for older software, especially 16-bit software if they still run them like older games, that are incompatible with newer operating systems, they could activate it themselves bypassing Microsoft altogether. It isn't about pirating software to them with this argument but maintaining an older software and obtaining updates available on other sites outside of Microsoft. The same can be applied to Windows 7-- what if Microsoft ended activation for the OS ten years from now? If they did and people refuse to move to their newer operating systems because Microsoft radically changed the desktop OS and UI, there wouldn't be a way to legitimately activate it. So, "hack-tivating" would be a viable option.

The other argument is, like my friend, the cost. You are basically paying a price premium to run Windows-only software and pay for it a lot more than what one pays for OSX. Linux-based distros are even cheaper-- free for the most part. Activating Windows is another issue as Microsoft falsely believes this would stop piracy of their software. It was never liked before when they started it with Windows XP and it's still not liked even now. Especially for users who change hardware often or have more than one computer in their household, it's ridiculous to even consider paying $99.99 to $139.99 times whatever number of computers you have in your own home, and activate all of them altogether. Four computers with Windows 8.1 (non-Pro) is already just under $400 (8.1 OEM x 4) before any taxes and possible shipping (if they didn't go the digital download route). So, on that other extreme, there are people who want to bypass Microsoft altogether and not pay this "royalty fee" to them just to run Windows software.

In between, there are those who legitimately buy the operating system and haven't gravitated to either side of "hack-tivating" Windows for various reasons. Either because of inconvenience or lack of knowledge of how to do this themselves.

They did have the sale on the upgrade when 8 first came out, they need to bring that back for awhile here around the holiday.

That said I don't see the cost being that bad. Yes you would be looking at about $100 per pc to upgrade. But if you are bitching that new games won't come out for the version that you have then you must have $100, just means you skip 2 games to upgrade your OS. no different than having to upgrade your hardware.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft finally do what they have wanted for years and make Windows a subscription based OS, like they did with Office. you want Office well you can pay for a copy of Office 2013, or you can pay a monthly fee for Office 365. Could see them doing something similar for windows. you pay your $100 for every upgrade or you pay your $5 a month. Unless I am missing something they already got rid of the upgrade version of windows. Looking around I see full versions of 8.1 for about the same price as the upgrade versions of windows 8. Which is what they did for Office right before they went to subscription. makes it easier on the user. no need to worry about full or upgrade. There is just windows 8.1 and windows 8.1 pro.

Windows should not be free. They have to make money off of it to keep developing it. Just like Apple does with their OS. They come out with a new version every year and charge you $30 for it. Windows comes out with a new version now ever 3 years and charges you $100 for it.

Windows should not be free. They have to make money off of it to keep developing it. Just like Apple does with their OS. They come out with a new version every year and charge you $30 for it. Windows comes out with a new version now ever 3 years and charges you $100 for it.
Plus in order to pay for those Apple updates you must have first paid THEM for the system to have the luxury to run it. Until recent with the Surface MS was pretty much all software while Apple was pretty much all hardware. It boggles my mind when people try to compare the price of the OS between the two.

I agree that it shouldn't be free but building ads into the OS (Bing ads in smart search) is unacceptable for a paid product.

sounds like a user issue to me . Why wouldnt you update your imaging so that the latest updates are applied on their own - why would you keep loading up sp2 for office over and over again

exactly, update your image..

dont have alot of servers but i run 54 desktops, all windows 7 and about 29 servers, servers 2008 r2 and 6 Server 2012, all updated to last month, no issues yet!

sounds like a user issue to me . Why wouldnt you update your imaging so that the latest updates are applied on their own - why would you keep loading up sp2 for office over and over again

It's a small office of around 70 users, and I'm entire IT department (that includes everything including pc's, servers, network, firewalls, routers and even phones.

I build the initial image when I roll out a group of new systems to users (usually only 5 to 10 systems at a time). Next rollout is usually a different system or has different software, so it means a different image.

It makes no sense to build a new image (nor do I have the time), since I usually only need to reload an image once or twice month. I general only take the time to rebuild an image when there is a major change, like a new version of office, or the updates start taking too long.

So, I can activate it this way, but I'm still having issues doing it legitimately? Activation. Always fun.... :)

Yes you have to reactivate via KMS after a set time. However, if you upgrade or add Media Center via the add features option, your Media Center key becomes your new key. After that Windows 8.1 activates against the Media center key. Those free Media Center keys for Windows 8 that Microsoft offered also work for 8.1. It's the same trick they used for Windows 8. If you ever have to reinstall your back to square one though and looking for another illegal KMS server.

Back