One Third Of Americans Get Their News On Facebook

HardOCP News

[H] News
The scary statistic of the day? Almost one third of the people in this country get their news from Facebook. What's scarier than that? The article is about trying to get MORE people to get their news from Facebook. :eek:

Two-thirds of Americans are on Facebook. But only about half of those users ever get their news from it, according to a new study by the Pew Research Center. And what news they do consume gets ingested serendipitously, as they browse the site for other reasons. Just 22 percent of people who get any news from Facebook think the service is a useful way to keep up with current events. And just over a quarter of Facebook news consumers have ever turned to it for coverage of breaking news.

News: Dinner was chicken, Kelly cheated on Bob, and it's all Obama's fault.
Last thing, my life is great, just look at these pictures that prove it!

311321_224673720923606_100001429397441_651526_1355037744_n.jpg

In other news..( not from Facebook) 1/3 of Americans are stupid

who am I kidding....its more than 1/3....:D

Considering much of what news sources we have today can be considered quite biased I don't really see how this is THAT much worse! You have the same problem of failed fact checking, financial biases, special interests, etc. Only on FB you probably see more of what your friends are concerned about which may or may not include global events.

I subscribe to feeds from NPR and other news sources on my Facebook newsfeed so I do see news from those sources ... these days I get the majority of my news from alerts on my phone from news apps or from RSS feeds though ... I also subscribe to Facebook feeds from MaximumPC and PCGamer so I get some tech news from those feeds also ... not all news from FB is from posting status of your FB friends, although many of them do tend to share newsfeeds they like as well ;)

Better than 'Fox News' i guess

Probably about the same, media consumption these days is all about filtering the information you're exposed to so it only reinforces your preconceptions. So you can either tune into your favourite left or right wing news cast or turn to your like-minded Facebook friends to help each other filter out the other side of any issue.

Fuck this planet. And I don't mean just the US, this kind of shit is a global pass time now. It's like we've taken a step back toward a voluntary state controlled media and embraced our own heavily censored version of the world.

Considering the default setting of Facebook is "Top Stories" instead "Most Recent", i can't understand how can people use that for "getting news". I guess RSS is too complicated for these people.

I subscribe to feeds from NPR and other news sources on my Facebook newsfeed so I do see news from those sources ... these days I get the majority of my news from alerts on my phone from news apps or from RSS feeds though ... I also subscribe to Facebook feeds from MaximumPC and PCGamer so I get some tech news from those feeds also ... not all news from FB is from posting status of your FB friends, although many of them do tend to share newsfeeds they like as well ;)
Exactly. FB can be used to get news feeds and get the latest updates to other sites all in one siple place. Heck I get [H] news on there too, when they post, also get updates from Steve on different things he does, like car shows and such.
People seem to have this thing that FB is nothing more than people posting about what they had for lunch or some shit. It can be if those are the types of people you are friends with, then it's your fault for being friends with those type, or it can be all tech stuff. All depends on what you want out of it.

I use Facebook every 4 or 5 days at best. I use to use Twitter everyday to read random shit from people that don't really matter in my day to day life and now I barely use it.

So I barely use social media all around.

1/3 of [H] members get their news from [H]ard|Forums.

I think this is poorly worded. I think it should read, 1/3 of Americans use Facebook as ONE of their sources of news.

No different than anyone using Yahoo/google/rss/reddit/etc as their source for news. Sad when the [H] has to sensationalize.

This annoys the crap out of me. I know plenty who only get their news from FB. Its funny, if I check my FB in the morning and see a poorly written blurb on some incorrect incident, citing incorrect findings finalizing with some political propaganda I KNOW I am going to hear it regurgitated somewhere during my day.

Back