Battlefield 4 Loves High Speed Memory

HardOCP News

[H] News
The folks at Corsair are pretty damn excited about Battlefield 4. Why are they so excited you might ask? Well, if you were seeing performance gains like this from boosting memory speed, I guess you'd be excited too. :)

The takeaway is that Frostbite Engine 3 is capable of pushing the memory subsystem in ways we hadn’t anticipated. Other games are due to be released on Frostbite Engine 3, too, and they’re not inconsiderable titles. We’re talking about Dragon Age: Inquisition, Mirror’s Edge 2, Need for Speed: Rivals, and the next Mass Effect. If you’re still running DDR3-1600 and Battlefield 4 or one of these other games is on your radar, now may be the time to upgrade to some faster Vengeance, Vengeance Pro, or Dominator Platinum memory. I don’t think 1600MHz is going to cut it anymore, and frankly, I’m kind of excited to see where the technology goes from here.

Man the PC hardware and component manufacturers are just loving DICE right now. They're all latching onto BF4 like someone that just crossed the Sahara

glad I'm not.

it's just a slight extension of BF3.

still I hope that they did a better job on the netcode and anti-cheats.

I guess when you are pushing multi-GPU you are going to be memory bound at some point , I have my doubts he will see the same result with single GPUs.

one more thing he is obviously using Win7 , that's why he has stuttering , the situation could turn out differently if he used Win 8.

Added to the ever growing list :p

Interesting possibilities

Amazing how BF series has become a benchmark of gaming, I remember back to the BF 1942 days and such, amazing how this game has evolved to its status

So did you guys have to hire three more people for BF4 alone?! :D

This game is going to wind up costing me a fortune. :(

if system memory really does make a difference in bf4 (bf3.5) then that means it could also use more GPU memory, which means titan vs 780 (780ti) could show a big difference too. 3gb vram vs 6gb vram.

let's see independent benchmarks. bring them on

Make sure you read the entire article and not just look at the charts.

nonetheless it stands to reason a user with less GPU horsepower might get a healthy amount of mileage out of faster memory.
Well, is this a fact or just an opinion? He doesn't post any benchmarks but makes a claim.

Also keep in mind this is with SLI. Would single card also show this type of performance?

Guess this means i might have to see how far this corsair ram can be pushed! I should probly go read how to properly overclock memory on this platform.

Gah if this is true I might have to actually run my 2133 ram at at least 2133. It's at 1600 because I was too lazy to look up the correct timings... Was getting around to it. :)

Actually I kind of like the fact that BF4/Frostbite 3 pushes every aspect of a gaming PC.

4470K at 4.4GHz. Curious where that aligns with most people who will end up buying and playing the game on PCs. Sure, I could see at that OC you might see an effect of system memory. But how many people will be rocking the OC where they'll actually care to get faster RAM? Maybe I've just grown complacent (2500k and running stock ATM...).

Anyhoo, the game is still beta. I have no clue what further optimizations will occur, if any, but it was my understanding that the game was already CPU-dependent(?), it would only make sense that RAM would eventually have some impact.

4.4 on Haswell is fairly conservative imo. One Euro site that has a BF4 CPU scaling article is running both of its Haswells (4670k and 4770k) at 4.5ghz.

if system memory really does make a difference in bf4 (bf3.5) then that means it could also use more GPU memory, which means titan vs 780 (780ti) could show a big difference too. 3gb vram vs 6gb vram.

let's see independent benchmarks. bring them on

Nope.avi

System memory has nothing in common with gpu memory, which means that adding more system ram won't help any gpu ram problems, and so on. Reasons are well known.

4.4 on haswell is not conservative.. with the piss poor IHS that is actually less then 50% chance of getting it unless you're on a dedicated loop

Better hurry up and render all those frames for my 60Hz display.

Also, anyone catch that last resolution? Ultra Settings, 5760x1200.

Even at 1920x1200 min frames there is only a difference of 72 vs 79. So 7 frames and you are already above 60. There is a significant price difference between 1600 and 2400.

Once I saw all the "premium" BS BF4 wants you to have to get access to get certain gear that gives you quite an "out the gate" advantage... no.

I'm sick of this trend BF and COD desperately want you to not only spend $60 on the game but also $50 on the extra special pack of crap you do not really need. Then EA starts throwing in server priority and exclusive servers for "premium" members and I really do not want to get on board that.

BF3 was fun at first but then everyone just wanted to do Metro with 64 plays in a non-stop RPG/Grenade/Explosion clusterfuck just to level up and it just isn't as fun anymore. Most the DLC was useless as well with maps that few servers had in rotation including BF3's COD maps.

Now they want us to not only pay for the extras that should be included but upgrade a bunch of components on the way for just one game so far that benefits from an obvious code basis that is built around faster RAM? I can't think of one game in ages that had specific gains from slightly faster memory and it just swelled smells wrong..

BF as a series has dried up for me. COD is certainly guilty of this but at least it's up front about its lack of innovation. BF is going for a hard sell when all I want is them axe single player (that goes for COD too) and focus on at least 8 very tightly designed maps per release.

Instead we get maybe 3 maps that are well designed and a single player that is less entertaining than watching mold grow.

After trying the beta of BF4 I think I'll be skipping this one

Even back in the days of BF2, it benefited a lot from faster RAM.

One of my friends was running his DDR3-1600 at 1066 on his LGA 1366 system.

BF2 was a stuttering mess. Bumped it up to 1600 and all the stuttering went away.

And people think that games don't benefit from faster RAM.

Applications that use large amounts of RAM will always benefit from faster RAM as long as the rest of the system can keep up with it.

4.4 on Haswell is fairly conservative imo. One Euro site that has a BF4 CPU scaling article is running both of its Haswells (4670k and 4770k) at 4.5ghz.

4.4 is about what you get with Haswell OC wise.
80% or around that dont do more especially on 4770k.
100mhz wont do much difference.
BF3 and BF4 are highly cpu bound games due to the workload that engine puts out.
I am cpu bound in my set up with a 7970 due to I want max fps and my 4.7ghz 4670k isnt up for it.
Mantle will be a good thing for Bf4.

Back