How Apple's iMessage Surveillance Flaw Works

Yes, this is why you use a wifi network that you know no one else is on. Common sense here folks. Anything you do on any device can be man in the middled if a hacker is on the same Network.

Yes, this is why you use a wifi network that you know no one else is on. Common sense here folks. Anything you do on any device can be man in the middled if a hacker is on the same Network.

how do you know noone else is on and how do you know it's not manipulated as well? you cannot use any wifi that is not under your own control to avoid man in the middle attacks.

I don't care for iphones anyway but, unless you are in a poor reception area, why would you use wifi if you have an iphone?

I don't care for iphones anyway but, unless you are in a poor reception area, why would you use wifi if you have an iphone?

Faster speeds?

Carriers that block facetime over cellular?

Data caps?

Latency-dependent apps?

Network configuration?

Software downloads?

Ios updates?

Phone backups?

ok, I suppose for older junk iphones. Not much benefit using wifi in most places where LTE is 10-20 times faster.

I haven't heard of a carrier that blocks facetime either, but I have been using monthly unlimited data plans for the last two years.

The guys posted how to do this in their whitepaper; but it's beyond my level of familiarity. For those who are better-versed in this area, is what they're doing, albeit possible, at all probable when you don't have physical access to the two phones the messages are going between?

The guys posted how to do this in their whitepaper; but it's beyond my level of familiarity. For those who are better-versed in this area, is what they're doing, albeit possible, at all probable when you don't have physical access to the two phones the messages are going between?
the attacker needs to be able to access at least one of the devices one time and then run the device on a spoofed network that mimics Apple's network

for all intents and purposes this isn't something to be concerned about. theoretically agencies like the NSA or Apple itself could implement a system to intercept iMessages between specific devices

Back