Security Leaks for Everyone Thanks MS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrench00

2[H]4U
So MS in all its fucking wisdom has incorporated stupid Skydrive into fucking everything and not a single easy way to disable the shit with out breaking more stuff on your network.
Fuck you microsoft you cock gobblers.

You hate them so much you have MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP

and your point is? I am also a VCP, ISO, ITIL, Security blah blah. Its harder and harder to justify MS products. They have stopped listening back in 2008. I also got those certs WAY before the 8 bullshit.

The worst part about SD in 8.1 is that you must use a Microsoft account to log into your computer to use it. I don't want a password on my computer. I wish I could authenticate 8.1 Skydrive without using a Microsoft account to log in.

You hate them so much you have MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP

Guys like this crack me up. He thinks he got a good one over. :)

Dissent is the highest form of patriotism, my man. It is precisely us longtime Windows users (and DOS before that) that are the most annoyed with Microsoft's tablet LSD trip and alienation of the bulk of their userbase, because we are most familiar with their software after having worked with it for decades. So if anyone's qualified to comment on it, I'd say someone that's worked so closely certainly is, at least I"d trust it more than the typical "My grandma got on the internet just fine with Metro and my five year old nephew really loves the tiles" anecdotals you often hear.

Last edited:
Guys like this crack me up. He thinks he got a good one over. :)

Dissent is the highest form of patriotism, my man. It is precisely us longtime Windows users (and DOS before that) that are the most annoyed with Microsoft's tablet LSD trip and alienation of the bulk of their userbase, because we are most familiar with their software after having worked with it for decades. So if anyone's qualified to comment on it, I'd say someone that's worked so closely certainly is, at least I"d trust it more than the typical "My grandma got on the internet just fine with Metro and my five year old nephew really loves the tiles" anecdotals you often hear.

Lets face it most posters here are Plebs they will never see a larger scale networks they will never manage 100+ server there fore they will never understand 50k 10k 1k views of IT.

It cracks me up when you say you are still running XP on xyz station and they say "upgrade dat chit!" and little do they realize that "upgrading dat chit" would likely cost more then 20 years of their salary.

The worst part about SD in 8.1 is that you must use a Microsoft account to log into your computer to use it. I don't want a password on my computer. I wish I could authenticate 8.1 Skydrive without using a Microsoft account to log in.

I have set up windows 8 machines and not used microsoft accounts......

I set my system up without a Microsoft account so I guess I don't have SkyDrive - sounds like the fix for your problem OP.

Skydrive in 8.1 requires you to sign into your computer with a Microsoft account. Don't try to bullshit your way out of this one.

Bullshit????
Nice. As stated, i have set up windows 8 machines with out a microsoft account, have not played with the released version of 8.1 yet.

Man it must be rough being that smart. And working in an environment that upgrades their entire... what was it 50k user environment to 8.1 the day it releases. That is some serious cutting edge! I'm so envious.

Look at all the amateur admins and engineers pretending to know what the OP is talking about and giving him grief....that's cute.

Look at all the amateur admins and engineers pretending to know what the OP is talking about and giving him grief....that's cute.

I find it far cuter when I see supposed enterprise engineers or admins who fuss over the little stuff like this. Almost all of these situations are pretty easily remedied through GPO or some scipting. Is it a PIA? Yes, but so is most of the other BS out there. Also note that MS is listening to people, which is why they included all these options. Remember this is a Desktop OS designed for the average Joe. MS expects senior level admins to be able to install and design their networks around these smaller issues.

And just how is this related to MS leaking security? That is your uneducated users causing security leaks who could just as easily leak it any number of ways with other cloud applications if you haven't designed your enterprise to squash them, which apparently it sounds like you have not.

I find it far cuter when I see supposed enterprise engineers or admins who fuss over the little stuff like this. Almost all of these situations are pretty easily remedied through GPO or some scipting. Is it a PIA? Yes, but so is most of the other BS out there. Also note that MS is listening to people, which is why they included all these options. Remember this is a Desktop OS designed for the average Joe. MS expects senior level admins to be able to install and design their networks around these smaller issues.

And just how is this related to MS leaking security? That is your uneducated users causing security leaks who could just as easily leak it any number of ways with other cloud applications if you haven't designed your enterprise to squash them, which apparently it sounds like you have not.
I am happy that 2010 office had no skydrive integration now Users get prompted in 2013. Yes there is nothing like saving sensitive documentation to skydrive, because the organization is to cheap to follow 1. Standards 2. Spend money on Training 3. Develop strategies and standards the users should be following. 4. Invest money in IT.

I think my job is starting to overwhelm the amount of stuff I need to deal with. I do work for MSPs and their unrealistic expectations are starting to effect me. Where I am located we have nothing but plebs like most of the users here that break stuff client freaks out the call me expect me to FIX IT ALL yesterday. This is just a rant. There is nothing like mass network changes overnight with no or minimal testing. No nothing ever goes wrong when you roll out a GPO to 100+ computers and expect everything to work just right.

I am the senior tech for 600+ computers 100 servers. I am doing it all. I am starting to hate everything about my job and what I do. About to say fuck it all and go dig ditches for a living.

For me its easier to say what I haven't worked on.

Any who I challange any one to say they work with

MS - Servers 2000 - 2012 (AD, DNS, DHCP, RDP, Gateways, DFS, FRS, etc..)
Exchange 2003 to 2013
Sharepoint
MS CRM
SQL
MYSQL
Laserfiche
Quickbooks
Sage
Sage 100 to 300
Routers/UTM
Switches
Networking
Virtualization VMware/HyperV
Wiring
Phones -Androids, IOS, WP
Project Management
Policy Development
Desktop/Workstations troubleshooting

Working 60+ hours a week everyday non stop I think has about destroyed me. When I have to deal with more stupidity from the Software companies I have to support I just want Rant and Rave because I have no life :(
Its easier to scream on the internet then it is in real life.

B-b-b-but what if I don't have a Skydrive account and I don't use O2013? I'm safe now right? :cluelessface:

B-b-b-but what if I don't have a Skydrive account and I don't use O2013? I'm safe now right? :cluelessface:

If PEBKAC download viruses from website popups what do you think an average user will do.

I am happy that 2010 office had no skydrive integration now Users get prompted in 2013. Yes there is nothing like saving sensitive documentation to skydrive, because the organization is to cheap to follow 1. Standards 2. Spend money on Training 3. Develop strategies and standards the users should be following. 4. Invest money in IT.

I think my job is starting to overwhelm the amount of stuff I need to deal with. I do work for MSPs and their unrealistic expectations are starting to effect me. Where I am located we have nothing but plebs like most of the users here that break stuff client freaks out the call me expect me to FIX IT ALL yesterday. This is just a rant. There is nothing like mass network changes overnight with no or minimal testing. No nothing ever goes wrong when you roll out a GPO to 100+ computers and expect everything to work just right.

I am the senior tech for 600+ computers 100 servers. I am doing it all. I am starting to hate everything about my job and what I do. About to say fuck it all and go dig ditches for a living.

Working 60+ hours a week everyday non stop I think has about destroyed me. When I have to deal with more stupidity from the Software companies I have to support I just want Rant and Rave because I have no life :(
Its easier to scream on the internet then it is in real life.

Sounds like my life for a few years, except it was about 70+ hours a week, then I had 6 hours of college classes, 10-20 hours of homework, and 20 hours of personal projects. Add in whatever other personal time I can get and then subtract all that from hours in a week...yeah not much sleep at all. But after doing that for about 3-4 years straight, I more than doubled my salary and work far, far less. So it all paid off in the end.

With the GPO issues, that is generally why I use test environments to try and iron out as much as possible before releasing and I usually have setup various forests so I deploy my GPOs one tree or one forest at a time, depending on the GPO. For a long time I used to just do whatever my bosses told me, then I learned that is almost never a good idea. So I started doing what I knew needed to be done and asked forgiveness later. Initially it got me into a lot of trouble but the drastic increase in efficiency and drop in down time was too big an improvement to ignore. Of course it helped that I had a manager who backed me up and took some flak for me.

And for what its worth, I learned virtualization simply because it was the only way I could get the test environment I needed on the budget I had, which was virtually nothing. But that paid off for me too. That and volunteering for every mess the company got itself into and fixing it (like learning how to install, configure, administer PON networks and how to convert a physically separated secure facility to a general use enterprise network). Sucks, but it is highly marketable on a resume.

If PEBKAC download viruses from website popups what do you think an average user will do.

Your company doesn't have software solutions to help prevent that? Sounds like you need to look into more serious restrictions on your networks and especially your mobile systems.

What exactly is people's problem? If you are an expert with decades of experience with Windows, do you think that makes you qualified to comment on what the majority of people want? In fact its exactly the opposite, you are a power user with very different needs, and Win 8 is not really targeted at you, which is the crux of the problem.

But for most normal folk, signing in with a single unified account, that also syncs apps/settings, is a GOOD thing. Having your documents roam is a GOOD thing. In fact its automatic backup for a lot of people's data.

Its ridiculous that people have embraced cloud services from Google/Apple yet when MS tries to do the same, its bad? I don't like a lot of things about 8, the Skydrive integration and MS account are not among them.

Large companies have 2 options - they will have the chance to roll out Skydrive Pro for enterprise wide use, or they can disable the feature. If you are planning to move to Office 2013, I don't see why you would. If not, its easy enough for any IT admin. And business machines have no need for an MS account of course. So what exactly is the problem again?

Sounds like my life for a few years, except it was about 70+ hours a week, then I had 6 hours of college classes, 10-20 hours of homework, and 20 hours of personal projects. Add in whatever other personal time I can get and then subtract all that from hours in a week...yeah not much sleep at all. But after doing that for about 3-4 years straight, I more than doubled my salary and work far, far less. So it all paid off in the end.

With the GPO issues, that is generally why I use test environments to try and iron out as much as possible before releasing and I usually have setup various forests so I deploy my GPOs one tree or one forest at a time, depending on the GPO. For a long time I used to just do whatever my bosses told me, then I learned that is almost never a good idea. So I started doing what I knew needed to be done and asked forgiveness later. Initially it got me into a lot of trouble but the drastic increase in efficiency and drop in down time was too big an improvement to ignore. Of course it helped that I had a manager who backed me up and took some flak for me.

And for what its worth, I learned virtualization simply because it was the only way I could get the test environment I needed on the budget I had, which was virtually nothing. But that paid off for me too. That and volunteering for every mess the company got itself into and fixing it (like learning how to install, configure, administer PON networks and how to convert a physically separated secure facility to a general use enterprise network). Sucks, but it is highly marketable on a resume.

Your company doesn't have software solutions to help prevent that? Sounds like you need to look into more serious restrictions on your networks and especially your mobile systems.

We have solutions thats not an issue. The issue is that no matter how good your solutions maybe a user will always find a away. Self Encrypted viruses usually get passed everything. We don't have an issue with that.

I wasn't clear about my actual hours 60+ for just a single client (MSP) This is my biggest problem. I have my own clients which are not so problematic because I am a dictator and I tell them rather then listen.
I am also self employed I ran my own company, so unpaid hours to work go with that. Taxes/Collecting/Payout etc.. Then I study to keep my Certifications and stuff up to date.
Last month I racked up lone 700 minutes on my cell and I don't even do most of my talking on it but rather Skype which racked in at 1430 minutes.

Money is just not worth it. I lived a simpler and happier life and had just as much money when I was a teacher. I am thinking that I need to make a life change and go work for some one and let them worry about half the shit and I just do my 8 to 5. I am killing myself for what?

What exactly is people's problem? If you are an expert with decades of experience with Windows, do you think that makes you qualified to comment on what the majority of people want? In fact its exactly the opposite, you are a power user with very different needs, and Win 8 is not really targeted at you, which is the crux of the problem.

But for most normal folk, signing in with a single unified account, that also syncs apps/settings, is a GOOD thing. Having your documents roam is a GOOD thing. In fact its automatic backup for a lot of people's data.

Its ridiculous that people have embraced cloud services from Google/Apple yet when MS tries to do the same, its bad? I don't like a lot of things about 8, the Skydrive integration and MS account are not among them.

Large companies have 2 options - they will have the chance to roll out Skydrive Pro for enterprise wide use, or they can disable the feature. If you are planning to move to Office 2013, I don't see why you would. If not, its easy enough for any IT admin. And business machines have no need for an MS account of course. So what exactly is the problem again?

Again you miss the point. MS didn't make it easy to disable this stuff. I never had to worry about it before now I do. Why because I work for Governments. Canada has strict laws regarding storing "canadian property" outside of Canada. There are Tons of little agencies that fall under that and they don't have the backend to deal with these issues. Everything becomes a fucking hack.

I don't want to even get into the argument of MS is blah blah certified. Organizations will not tempt the .gov from pulling its funding because its 1. Easier for users sync. 2. Or Justifying that MS/Google/Amazon is certified. If its not in Canada fuck off.

For small organizations its unfeasible to do some of these things. Mainly because THEY HAVE no money.

Again you miss the point. MS didn't make it easy to disable this stuff. I never had to worry about it before now I do. Why because I work for Governments. Canada has strict laws regarding storing "canadian property" outside of Canada. There are Tons of little agencies that fall under that and they don't have the backend to deal with these issues. Everything becomes a fucking hack.

I don't want to even get into the argument of MS is blah blah certified. Organizations will not tempt the .gov from pulling its funding because its 1. Easier for users sync. 2. Or Justifying that MS/Google/Amazon is certified. If its not in Canada fuck off.

For small organizations its unfeasible to do some of these things. Mainly because THEY HAVE no money.

GPO was never supposed to be easy. You're an IT admin, thus by definition it IS easy for you. It's your job to figure that out.

If you think a consumer OS release should not include features meant for users, and instead have defaults that make life easier for an IT admin, you are very mistaken. And your outrage is misplaced.

Now its possible that companies delay deployment of Win 8 or choose to skip it because they think this is too much trouble. That will end up hurting MS. But that's a separate issue. Not making these changes would hurt them with every single consumer, which is far worse.

Actually Wrench00 I think it'd been better if Win 8 had a simple mode to disable/enable certain features. e.g. like add/remove programs. Where you could disable things like Skydrive etc in an easy manner.

This is a result of dictator like behavior by Sinofsky, who refused to agree to any compromise or share Win 8 details with other groups. As a result many products are not consistent. There is nothing like integrated Spotlight or Time Machine system services in Windows, because every group works to reinvent the wheel I guess.

Forget Win 8, the server team has done a great job ignoring customer feedback as well.

You don't help you never do. You just spout how MS products are end all to be all.

This is a lie. I help people in this forum all of the time and I simply asked a question that had NOTHING to do with spouting anything about Microsoft and you decide YET AGAIN to make it personal. You need to stop.

If you have never deployed network wide GPO I am not going to bother teaching you.

Isn't SkyDrive integration disabled if you log in with a non-Microsoft account?

Money is just not worth it. I lived a simpler and happier life and had just as much money when I was a teacher. I am thinking that I need to make a life change and go work for some one and let them worry about half the shit and I just do my 8 to 5. I am killing myself for what?

Really, honestly, based on your rants, the above option sounds like the best. You're railing against Microsoft, and I just don't understand the level of vitriol. but what's really seems to be happening is that you're starting to burn out? If you're an independent contractor, then it's all on you to step back and make sure you can handle the workload you've taken on, and are being paid a fair price for it... If one or both of those aren't true, take a step back and take care of that problem... before you really do burn out.

...just sayin.....

Last edited:
You're not even asking for help, just complaining. Not a relevant thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back