Crowd-Backed EFF Files To Kill Off ‘Podcast Patent’

HardOCP News

[H] News
At first I thought the EFF was trying to kill off podcasts but then I realized they are trying to save podcasts. Damn, I got my hopes up. ;)

Having amassed a war chest of $76,000 in public donations and identified crucial "prior art," the Electronic Frontier Foundation yesterday filed a formal challenge aimed at killing a patent being wielded by Personal Audio LLC against podcasters such as "The Adam Carolla Show" and "How Stuff Works."

Explain why podcasts needed to be killed off. Otherwise, this is more mindless Apple hate for ratings. Zzzzz

Explain why podcasts needed to be killed off. Otherwise, this is more mindless Apple hate for ratings. Zzzzz

Guess, you didn't read. They aren't trying to kill podcasts, they are trying save them by invalidating the podcast patent held by a trying to extort fees from podcasters.

"As we show in our petition, Personal Audio is not the true inventor of this technology and should not be demanding a payout from today's podcasters,"
Unfortunately this is irrelevant, personally I think a big change to the patent system needs to change to not allow you to buy a patent as the whole point is that it's in place to help you recoup your costs in "invention", lease it out sure, buy it? that's a patent troll.

Today's petition shows that Personal Audio did not invent anything new, and, in fact, other people were podcasting years before Personal Audio first applied for a patent.
Here's where the magic might happen.

Personally I don't know why the Adam Corolla show doesn't have money/lawyers for this sort of thing.

Isn't there a better word for it than "podcast"? That word just seems.... I don't know... stupid.

Have heard the word "podcast". Have never used or it even know what it is. I'm not going to look up what it means. Also don't know what "hashtag" means either other than being the pound symbol.

Back