Young Adults Say Technology Can Be Dehumanizing

HardOCP News

[H] News
A survey that finds technology can be dehumanizing isn't surprising. The fact that 18 to 24 year-olds want technology to be "more personal" and know their habits is a bit disturbing though.

Millennials are tech-savvy young adults who grew up with smartphones and iPads, but many think technology makes people less human, according to a poll released on Thursday. The survey of 12,000 people aged 18 and older in eight countries, commissioned by Intel Corporation, also showed that 18- to 24-year-olds want technology to be more personal and know their habits. Older women and those living in emerging markets are the most enthusiastic about the role technology can play in their lives, the findings showed.

It's what Google/Google Now/Apple iOS/Facebook is doing. As long as people have control over their data; including opt-in/opt-out, then I agree - make it more personal.

18- to 24-year-olds want technology to be more personal and know their habits.

Are more targeted Bieber ads going to make tech less dehumanizing, or more dehumanizing?

It's not the technology. It's the people. The narcissistic, entitled, emotionally juvenile people.

As a highschool student (so under 18) I personally believe it's the kids today. Constantly on Facebook and other social media services.

Instead of being more personal, why dont you get off facebook and talk to someone face to face?

No wonder there is so many unemployed young adults today, no communication skill.

Maybe the technology should be more demonizing :D

the-intellegent-robot-hal-9000.jpg

No wonder there is so many unemployed young adults today, no communication skill.

As an IT employer, I have come across some amazingly bad skill sets in this area. Ranging from using text speak in their cover letter, requiring multiple attempts to send an email with the resume attached, to just piss poor ability to write or speak without sounding like your texting.

when ever I post an opening, for every 100 resumes I get, a good 60 get deleted right off the bad with a "are you F'ing kidding me?!?!?!" thought as I read over what was "written"

I am FAR from an english major of any sort.. but jesus WOW learn to write your own language. Whats also sad, is that by simply reading the resumes, I can usually spot people new to this country, as it is well written and readable, even though english most likely was not their first language.

I don't want my hammer or my air compressor to be more personal and know my habits. Tech should be used as a means to an end, not a substitute for companionship.

So 18-24 year olds are complete dumbasses with zero notion of privacy and security, Shocker! :rolleyes:

It's not the technology. It's the people. The narcissistic, entitled, emotionally juvenile people.

yup. the tech just makes it easy to succumb to those traits. that said, if we had social media when I was in school? ooooooooooohhhhhhhh snap, I would have caused some havoc :p

I recently had a discussion with a co-worker about smartphones where he said that he could not imagine his grandparents carrying around a $500 piece of equipment back in their day without it being physically tethered to their body in some way. Now we've got these things that are pretty expensive gizmos that know a lot of our personal information and we just dump them onto an end table with our keys like they're nothing. He commented that he doesn't even know the phone numbers for anyone but himself anymore which I think is insane. So technology knows more about us than it should and makes us all dumber. Yay!

I recently had a discussion with a co-worker about smartphones where he said that he could not imagine his grandparents carrying around a $500 piece of equipment back in their day without it being physically tethered to their body in some way. Now we've got these things that are pretty expensive gizmos that know a lot of our personal information and we just dump them onto an end table with our keys like they're nothing. He commented that he doesn't even know the phone numbers for anyone but himself anymore which I think is insane. So technology knows more about us than it should and makes us all dumber. Yay!

I wouldn't blame an inanimate object. People choose whether or not they want to turn their brains off.

Memorizing a string of partially random numbers doesn't make you smarter.

So the measure of intelligence is how many phone numbers we can remember? Society changes with technology. Smartphones have essentially given us a portable computer and communication device that we can carry in a shirt pocket. Although there have been some dehumanizing and unproductive elements to that there have been significantly more benefits. I will take the technology curve over the more reactionary approach any day (and I am many years past the millennials) ;)

So the measure of intelligence is how many phone numbers we can remember? Society changes with technology. Smartphones have essentially given us a portable computer and communication device that we can carry in a shirt pocket. Although there have been some dehumanizing and unproductive elements to that there have been significantly more benefits. I will take the technology curve over the more reactionary approach any day (and I am many years past the millennials) ;)

I think his point is that our ancestors treated the means of communication as sacred and important, and things like addresses and phone numbers were vital components of that system. Now we take communication for granted because of the easy access and inexpensive technology that takes said components and treats them like open source software.

I think his point is that our ancestors treated the means of communication as sacred and important, and things like addresses and phone numbers were vital components of that system. Now we take communication for granted because of the easy access and inexpensive technology that takes said components and treats them like open source software.

Considering 100 years ago we had operators and party lines I am not sure how sacred communication actually was ;) ("Madge, could you connect me with Jimmy at the feed store" :p ) ... I communicate with people all over the world everyday (for both business and personal activities), as I suspect do many others in this thread and forum ... something like that would have been very difficult to do 100 years ago (or even 50 years ago) ... people definitely have access to some pretty inane communication means these days (cough cough "texting" "Facebook" cough cough) but there can be useful elements of IM and Social Media (especially in a globally connected world) ... just because some pre and post teens want to turn it into junk mail (quite literally in some cases) doesn't diminish the value or usefulness of the technology :cool:

Considering 100 years ago we had operators and party lines I am not sure how sacred communication actually was ;) ("Madge, could you connect me with Jimmy at the feed store" :p ) ... I communicate with people all over the world everyday (for both business and personal activities), as I suspect do many others in this thread and forum ... something like that would have been very difficult to do 100 years ago (or even 50 years ago) ... people definitely have access to some pretty inane communication means these days (cough cough "texting" "Facebook" cough cough) but there can be useful elements of IM and Social Media (especially in a globally connected world) ... just because some pre and post teens want to turn it into junk mail (quite literally in some cases) doesn't diminish the value or usefulness of the technology :cool:

With such a huge volume of communication and with such relative ease in engaging in it, how can it be sacred? What makes it special? It's everywhere, commonplace, and nearly worthless. That last part is the big point, and is related to what you said about inane communication; it's what the vast majority of world communications are. The vast majority of it is texting, social media, spam, scammers, etc. It's either useless or malicious. At least telling Jimmy that you needed a couple of bags of fertilizer accomplished something. See, when something is not easy to come by, it's more highly valued. It's significant. Special. Sacred.

It will take me approximately 1 second to find a tweet that benefits nobody, anywhere, including the dumbass motherfucker who made it. I will then be able to spend an infinite amount of time counting all the other worthless communiques with no better value.

With such a huge volume of communication and with such relative ease in engaging in it, how can it be sacred? What makes it special? It's everywhere, commonplace, and nearly worthless. That last part is the big point, and is related to what you said about inane communication; it's what the vast majority of world communications are. The vast majority of it is texting, social media, spam, scammers, etc. It's either useless or malicious. At least telling Jimmy that you needed a couple of bags of fertilizer accomplished something. See, when something is not easy to come by, it's more highly valued. It's significant. Special. Sacred.

It will take me approximately 1 second to find a tweet that benefits nobody, anywhere, including the dumbass motherfucker who made it. I will then be able to spend an infinite amount of time counting all the other worthless communiques with no better value.

Yes ... but it is much easier to discover cat Memes now :p

As an IT employer, I have come across some amazingly bad skill sets in this area. Ranging from using text speak in their cover letter, requiring multiple attempts to send an email with the resume attached, to just piss poor ability to write or speak without sounding like your texting.

when ever I post an opening, for every 100 resumes I get, a good 60 get deleted right off the bad with a "are you F'ing kidding me?!?!?!" thought as I read over what was "written"

I am FAR from an english major of any sort.. but jesus WOW learn to write your own language. Whats also sad, is that by simply reading the resumes, I can usually spot people new to this country, as it is well written and readable, even though english most likely was not their first language.

I recently was hired by my school district's IT Department for an intern position. I was referred by many staff members from my highschool to the IT Department so they just went up and scheduled an interview through my school's career center. I didn't do a resume or application because they didn't ask or need one. I went into the interview with a few Microsoft Office certificates and my four or so years of hands on experience with computer hardware and a bit of server side command line experience as well.

They hired me within two minutes of the interview starting, why? Because of my communication with them and how much experience I have with Cisco and Linux OS's(I can thank my dad for being a telecom guy!). Also since it was an intern position they felt the need to pay me in some form, so my school's career center saw if there was money in the budget to pay me(minium wage of course, but still great), which there was and the paper work for it is currently going to the board.

For still being in highschool, under 18, and already working in an office setting(doing menial work currently), I think I have a great opportunity and I think it's mainly because of my communication with them at the interview and small meetings with the technicians when they were out servicing my school.

Sorry for the story, but if you can't even speak basic proper English, then you shouldn't be applying for jobs in the first place.

I gauge people's intelligence based on how they write.

Most people are DUMB AS FUCK.

so stop gluing your eyes to your phone. Try to look up more, and make a phone call once in a while.

Back