Windows 8.1 Is Available Now

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft Corp. on Thursday announced the global availability of Windows 8.1, a feature-rich update to its popular Windows 8 operating system, enabling customers to create experiences that keep pace with their lives — at work, at home or on the go. Beginning Oct. 17, consumers with a Windows 8 device in more than 230 markets and 37 languages can download the free update via the online Windows Store. Windows 8.1 will also be available on new devices and as boxed software starting Oct. 18 at retail locations around the world.

I knew about it already, but, thanks for the heads up. :D (In before it this thread turns into a hatefest. :) )

Windows 8 is great once you install WindowBlinds or other start menu replacement. My Win8 system looks just like Windows 7.

For those who can't see the update, run wsreset.exe and see if that fixes the issue. A few sites have mentioned that it works most of the time. Not sure what's going on to have to run it though. Please post feedback here if you try it and it works!

Okay, it's working on my surface pro (same connection)... however its not in my volume license share (with SA) and those computers with that key seem not to be taken to anything when you click the link that opens up the store.

Its a shame that I'm downloading 3.63 GB and can't save it for other machines.

My system at home found it right away. My work laptop isn't seeing the upgrade. (the links keep launching the store app, but the upgrade isn't available.

Could have something to do with the fact my Microsoft Account isn't synced with the work laptop.

Won't be available through the store if you are running the Enterprise version.

And in order to use the store, you need to use a Microsoft account which is probably disabled in a corporate environment.

Yeah all VLSC installs will not open the store link. Its not in our license store either. My Volume installs are pro and so is my surface. The only two non-volume systems opened the store link.

Bleh

Wow, I had no idea I'd be able to download 8.1 when I woke up this morning. I love it.

I like the update...for my Surface RT. The new OSK is a great improvement, but could still use a little more work. I'll have to play with it for more than an hour before I decide if it's time to migrate any of the desktops.

I take it that Windows 8.1 is only available as an "update" but not as an .iso?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

They are not offering an ISO to those who want a clean install. Just screw this company. I used the update method on my secondary rig and I crashed twice before everything was done. I am not subjecting my primary rig with that nonsense. Not to mention it takes an incredibly long time.

I hate this company so much. Can they for once in their miserable lives think of the people who keep them in business? Is providing a clean install option for those of us who want it so hard to do? Oh wait...of course. They know many want this option so instead they force us to pay 200 dollars again for 8.1 Pro disc.

Downloading through the stupid store. Where's my ISO Microsoft? You provided one for 8, you mofos.

Stupid is stupid. There is 90 day eval copy for 8.1 Enterprise ISO available.

I was wanting a 8.1 Pro x64 ISO though...cause like hell I'm gonna install it yet. Barely got my 8 Pro stable on this Haswell build.

Time to find a torrent I suppose

I have been running the windows 8 pro preview ... and while trying to see if I could download the official version now .. I discover I can't open the MS store. It was working after I updated some time ago when I last checked the store.

I have tried resetting the store cache.

all my other Microsoft account stuff is working..well everything else is working.

but I keep getting time out error of site busy. But I have checked and site is up and no one is mentioning having troubles.

I am really hoping I upgraded to the preview version from the store as I read you will not be able to if you used an iso. I would hate to have to reinstall windows 7 and upgrade to 8 and redo all my settings just to avoid having to buy a new key D:

For those who can't see the update, run wsreset.exe and see if that fixes the issue. A few sites have mentioned that it works most of the time. Not sure what's going on to have to run it though. Please post feedback here if you try it and it works!
thanks for posting this helpful hint...ir0nw0lf

mine wasn't showing either, ran the wsrest.exe, success...

man..its running slow though, of course millions of others are DL'g it too atm, Im sure.. coming in at 1.5Mb/s on my 90Mb/s line.. lol

i can't even download it because I can't run the store app as my netbook's screen resolution isn't high enough...

i can't even download it because I can't run the store app as my netbook's screen resolution isn't high enough...

In the Intel Graphics Properties you should be able to set an emulated resolution of 1024x768, I've done this on 1024x600 screen devices and it's worked for me to allow modern apps to run.

I made the jump early morning and was able to install windows 8.1 without issues on my Surface RT (love it feels much smoother and got something like 3 gigs extra go figure). However on my main desktop it completely broke my virus scanner, spyware, windows defender and a few others apps :(
Hopefully someone figures a way to do a clean install with windows 8.1 :rolleyes:

Hmm so let me get this straight. MS.. who's been offereing images for installations since it was possible... aren't going to release an ISO for 8.1 and we have to use the thing thats called the Store to do it? Where is this store? Is it something in Win8 because i disabled Metro 5 minutes after booting into 8 and the closest i've got since is the Start Screen. lol If thats the only way.. they can kiss my lilly white ass!

Posted by the Microtwat employee who runs that blog:

" it is only free if you update your device already running Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 via the Windows Store. You can buy a copy of Windows 8.1 and do a clean install that way."

"thank you for the comment! We're not releasing the ISO images to folks who don't have MSDN and TechNet subscriptions. Best way for everyone else is to update through the Windows Store."

Wow. You want an ISO? Buy your fucking OS twice! God I hope SteamOS is a success so I can get away from these money grubbing assholes once and for all.

Hmm so let me get this straight. MS.. who's been offereing images for installations since it was possible... aren't going to release an ISO for 8.1 and we have to use the thing thats called the Store to do it? Where is this store? Is it something in Win8 because i disabled Metro 5 minutes after booting into 8 and the closest i've got since is the Start Screen. lol If thats the only way.. they can kiss my lilly white ass!

If you disabled Metro then you're really not missing anything staying put at 8.0

Seems to of updated fine, I'll mess with it some tomorrow. Didn't spend a lot of time with the beta.

What seriously they aren't going to provide a free ISO, legally for people who aren't subscribed to MSDN? Why? And I don't want to have to download and update everytime when I reinstall Windows, what a waste of bandwidth and time.

Back