Banning Violent Video Games Is ‘Virtual Gun Control’

HardOCP News

[H] News
This guy makes some pretty valid points but I think I'll leave it up to you to decide whether he's onto something or just on something. ;)

“We should not allow the government to make attempts to reduce the quality of our life to the lowest common denominator because somebody can’t behave themselves with a game or toy,” he said.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -C.S. Lewis

ugh...

How come nobody talks about the shortcoming of the US MENTAL HEALTH SYSTEM

While he's right in principle, the comparison to gun control makes me shake my head. While it's arguably a first amendment issue, the gulf between the right to video games and the right to firearms eclipses the Pacific Ocean in size.

That said, it's time to start forcibly removing people from office the minute they start telling us that we need to be treated like children. The elitist political aristocracy needs to be annihilated.

those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Yep, and trying to leave a system that's "for your own good" doesn't look too good because only someone who's not in their right mind would want out of a system that is there for their own good. :p

I think banning violent video games is worse than gun control, and please don't argue with me about the 2nd amendment I'm not in the mood. It's about censorship, it's like banning a book, or banning a movie, or banning a particular news article. If you're going to ban based on violence you need to ban everything equally, that means no more violent movies, no more violent TV shows, no more violence on the news.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -C.S. Lewis

wow

thanks for that

If they were only trying to ban games with guns I might buy this argument ... however, the morality police have been after violent and sexual elements in games since the games became sophisticated enough to make a more visually compelling argument against those elements ... however, this assault on the 1st amendment (not 2nd) has so far been rejected by the courts in the US (although outside the US violent games are often banned or restricted, regardless of whether the violence is gun related)

While he's right in principle, the comparison to gun control makes me shake my head. While it's arguably a first amendment issue, the gulf between the right to video games and the right to firearms eclipses the Pacific Ocean in size.

That said, it's time to start forcibly removing people from office the minute they start telling us that we need to be treated like children. The elitist political aristocracy needs to be annihilated.

The difference is supposed to be more like a small lake than an ocean, and the reality is that it is currently more like a pond. Although we have no specific enumerated right to video games the reality is that we do indeed have the RIGHT to anything and everything that the government can't PROVE needs to be banned, limited, or regulated for the the public good. That is what makes it more like a small lake than an ocean. The reason is it is really more like a pond though is because the government has in many ways decided that they can limit gun rights almost as easily and as much as they could any other non-enumerated right. So in reality gun rights are trodden on with almost as little real proof that the limitations are needed as is done with anything else, like video games.

Amen.......Don't tell me what is best for me, or him or her. I should be able to decide how I'd like to live my life without government intrusion or a nanny state constantly watching over me.

If I want to eat nothing but cheetos and play violent video games every day until 5AM, that's my prerogative (insert Bobby Brown dancing around here.) I don't, b/c I have a job and a life, but that's not the point.

The difference is supposed to be more like a small lake than an ocean, and the reality is that it is currently more like a pond. Although we have no specific enumerated right to video games the reality is that we do indeed have the RIGHT to anything and everything that the government can't PROVE needs to be banned, limited, or regulated for the the public good. That is what makes it more like a small lake than an ocean. The reason is it is really more like a pond though is because the government has in many ways decided that they can limit gun rights almost as easily and as much as they could any other non-enumerated right. So in reality gun rights are trodden on with almost as little real proof that the limitations are needed as is done with anything else, like video games.

I entirely agree on the idea of rights being reserved to the people that are not expressly limited by government. My simple question is how you enforce any of the other rights without the Second? Rights are only as strong as your ability to force authority to respect them...and that's dwindling by the day. Even talking about armed resistance to the violation of your rights makes many people's eyes pop out of their heads.

Amen.......Don't tell me what is best for me, or him or her. I should be able to decide how I'd like to live my life without government intrusion or a nanny state constantly watching over me.

If I want to eat nothing but cheetos and play violent video games every day until 5AM, that's my prerogative (insert Bobby Brown dancing around here.) I don't, b/c I have a job and a life, but that's not the point.

You ever hear figures like Jon Stewart or Bill Maher make their typical jokes about how stupid most people are, and how their acolytes are the only smart people in the world who know what's best for everyone?

Think about that next time you hear one of those "the masses are idiots" jokes...and consider the ramifications of such an attitude.

The upper class of this country needs some serious lessons in humility.

I wouldn't lump Stewart into the Maher group. I haven't watched him for a while, but he never was anywhere near as arrogant and pretentious as Bill Maher.

I wouldn't lump Stewart into the Maher group. I haven't watched him for a while, but he never was anywhere near as arrogant and pretentious as Bill Maher.

I used to have a bit of respect for Stewart, but his jokes are beginning to do nothing but echo talking points. It's really a shame. Additionally, I'm getting tired of media reporting on media, which is what the majority of his show does. How about focusing on policy and the policymakers?

ugh...How come nobody talks about the shortcoming of the US MENTAL HEALTH SYSTEM

The cost to fix the system and the complexity of the problem is such that it is a very difficult issue to discuss. Just figuring out how to pay the bill and liability only is insanely problematic.

The elitist political aristocracy needs to be annihilated.

If one were to prepare for an election by making a list of all incumbents and use that list to vote for anyone BUT the current sitting candidate it would send a message.

I used to have a bit of respect for Stewart, but his jokes are beginning to do nothing but echo talking points. It's really a shame. Additionally, I'm getting tired of media reporting on media, which is what the majority of his show does. How about focusing on policy and the policymakers?

He used to balance it better. One of the reasons I no longer watch. Plus, who can devote a chunk of their evening, every evening, to one show?

He used to balance it better. One of the reasons I no longer watch. Plus, who can devote a chunk of their evening, every evening, to one show?

Probably the majority of his audience, who don't bother with that whole "working" thing anyways... :rolleyes: If you've got all day to goof off, what's an hour every night?

Heh. My father dedicated my childhood to an hour of news, plus Moneyline and Crossfire every night. I don't know how old you are, but maybe the prospect of dedicated TV watching is just becoming a foreign concept to our generation.

Don't tempt them.
Fuck that, I do tempt them, in fact I dare them. Very often people have the "if it's not happening to me it's not important" mentality, which is why video games are such an easy target because largely the populace doesn't care, now you take away their tv and movie violence (no CSI and the killer with the 8 vaginas strung out as a necklace) and people will lose it.

It's like this whole federal shutdown nonsense, poor moms and children don't get fed... no one says shit, national parks close down and people lose their god damn minds.

Heh. My father dedicated my childhood to an hour of news, plus Moneyline and Crossfire every night. I don't know how old you are, but maybe the prospect of dedicated TV watching is just becoming a foreign concept to our generation.

I'm between 29 and 33 :D

For me, the idea of getting home on time to watch "my show" has been dead for a decade. I don't have time for that anymore. I'd rather fire up a violent video game or hit Netflix/Amazon Prime for whatever I'm in the mood for. Holding content hostage (cable tv) should be almost entirely done away with at this point.

Fuck that, I do tempt them, in fact I dare them. Very often people have the "if it's not happening to me it's not important" mentality, which is why video games are such an easy target because largely the populace doesn't care, now you take away their tv and movie violence (no CSI and the killer with the 8 vaginas strung out as a necklace) and people will lose it.

It's like this whole federal shutdown nonsense, poor moms and children don't get fed... no one says shit, national parks close down and people lose their god damn minds.

EBT benefits haven't been affected by the shutdown. The recent "glitch" with the system was supposedly due to technical difficulties...sort of like all the ACA sites are just "glitching". :rolleyes:

People also didn't lose their minds over the parks being closed. They lost their minds over people being paid to close off these open-air areas, and in some cases arresting or putting under house arrest elderly people who dared to try to visit them...or restricting them from going to their homes or businesses because they were on federal land. While the people in charge are talking about the sky falling due to the shutdown, they're spending even more money and effort trying to make sure we feel a piece of the sky hit our heads.

You should really keep all that in mind when talking about those same people trying to restrict various forms of expression and art. It's the same modus operandi, and I totally agree with your view about how people let something pass one minute, and then something similar gets them going. At the same time, you need to apply that same outlook to an objective assessment to the current political orgy du jour.

I'm between 29 and 33 :D

For me, the idea of getting home on time to watch "my show" has been dead for a decade. I don't have time for that anymore. I'd rather fire up a violent video game or hit Netflix/Amazon Prime for whatever I'm in the mood for. Holding content hostage (cable tv) should be almost entirely done away with at this point.

Same here on all points. I get all my news on the internet during work downtime, then go home and set my own schedule for entertainment. Meanwhile, my 40-something co-workers continue to maintain their cable subscriptions and scoff at the idea of a DVR. :confused:

Their is a political undertone to a lot of it. But he does present his point and give reasons. He also does a lot of commentating on the ineptitude of the govt. Just depends on the episode.

People also didn't lose their minds over the parks being closed. They lost their minds over people being paid to close off these open-air areas, and in some cases arresting or putting under house arrest elderly people who dared to try to visit them...or restricting them from going to their homes or businesses because they were on federal land. While the people in charge are talking about the sky falling due to the shutdown, they're spending even more money and effort trying to make sure we feel a piece of the sky hit our heads.

You should really keep all that in mind when talking about those same people trying to restrict various forms of expression and art. It's the same modus operandi, and I totally agree with your view about how people let something pass one minute, and then something similar gets them going. At the same time, you need to apply that same outlook to an objective assessment to the current political orgy du jour.

The people blocking those things off are in many cases working without pay since there's liability and the grounds are no longer being protected/maintained.

Your opinion and politicization of this is offensive and incorrect.

Violent video games and their impact on society are their own subject and don't need to be ham-fisted into an ugly analogy. Learn to talk about the topic at hand like an adult.

Probably the majority of his audience, who don't bother with that whole "working" thing anyways... :rolleyes: If you've got all day to goof off, what's an hour every night?
Sounds like the detractors need a lesson in humility too. What a moronic point of view.

Your opinion and politicization of this is offensive and incorrect.

First off, I didn't politicize it. I didn't mention a single party or politician. So what are you talking about? My guess is that you get a sense of who is responsible, or have your own beliefs about what my statement of facts would lead someone to believe, and are projecting that.

Secondly, if it offends you, I don't give a shit. Nothing I said addressed you in any way, so if you're offended, you're a hypersensitive person.

Thirdly, opinions can neither be correct nor incorrect. That's why they are called opinions. The fact that mine so offended you as to address it in such a way speaks to your own outlook.

It's all BS...they cannot link video games to real acts of violence other than the fact the majority of society plays them, and anyone who acted violent obviously played a video game. (Even though crime rates have declined every single year since video games have been invented.)

Bruce Dickinson said it like this:

"Eat it up, lay down and die! They'll shoot you up, and they don't know why. They're doing a job, and they enjoy it, too. They're protecting us from me and you."

It's all BS...they cannot link video games to real acts of violence other than the fact the majority of society plays them, and anyone who acted violent obviously played a video game. (Even though crime rates have declined every single year since video games have been invented.)

Its been like that forever. First they got mad at books, then magazines, then comic books, then movies, then radio, until its gotten up to violent video games.
At least there is one undeniable fact that even those goody freaks know and won't be able to change without extremely violent uprisings throughout the world...

"The Internet is where you find Pr0n."​

Just go ahead...
Take away my violent games that I use to blow off steam.
I'm sure it'd be a lot more interesting shooting hookers to get my money back in real life than in a video game!
Don't worry, I'll make sure I piss off PETA and shoot the dog while duck hunting too!

It's the exact opposite. Evidence shows us that countries (note: countries, not states where someone can drive 50 miles and escape being subject to the same laws) without a lot of guns have lower rates of homicide and other violent crimes.

Evidence also has shown us that video games either cause or at least correlate strongly to a reduction in real-world violence. If anything, banning violent games would be more likely to increase the rate of violent crime which has been dropping for well over a decade now.

EBT benefits haven't been affected by the shutdown. The recent "glitch" with the system was supposedly due to technical difficulties...sort of like all the ACA sites are just "glitching". :rolleyes:

The EBT system is very complex, downtime isn't unusual at all for it, but typically you're only talking a few minutes. Lengthy down-times are hardly unheard of though.

You must have been talking to different people than me, because for me most of the comments were along the lines of "how can they close a park, it's just an open area" the fact someone was being paid (or not) to guard the park from being entered is largely irrelevant and is simply a point of ranting about. You can pay 10 people to guard the entrances to someplace like Yosemite, but Yosemite takes WAY more than 10 people to keep it running. So it's more like "Oh the hypocrites they'll spend $1000 a day to restrict access but they won't spend $300,000 a day so we can enjoy it!" (fabricated numbers for the point of making a point)

we canucks already have gun control. don't go giving our crackpot government any ideas guys!

Back