Windows 8 Users Have a 2 year ’Window’ to Update to 8.1

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
For whatever reason users of Windows 8 who do not wish to, or not see the benefit of immediate transition to the new Windows 8.1 system, Microsoft has your back at least for the next two years. After that time, you can stand in the line with the Vista and XP users. :D

"Windows 8 customers will have two years to move to Windows 8.1 after the General Availability of the Windows 8.1 update to continue to remain supported under the Windows 8 lifecycle."

Isn't this pretty much what they've always done?

For example:
support for Windows 7 ended on April 9, 2013
Support for Windows 7 SP1 doesn't end until January 13, 2015 (with extended support until January 14, 2020)

Standard MS policies are new news every time MS does the same thing they did before. Isn't it exciting to have Alzheimer's? You get to relive the same excitement every couple years.

Can I have a downgrade option to Win 7?
Actually, yes. Yes you can. It'll need to be SP1 to have support though.

Agree with others, this is the opposite of "news."

But, news seldom seems to be the objective. . . it's more about taking shots at your favorite targets regardless of the merits of any actual story.

Can I have a downgrade option to Win 7?

Dell is offering new PCs with W7. Front page says $7.00 more for it. Don't know if that means you can install either 7 or 8 (and switch back and forth) or what, but it's there.

Even the snippet does not say you cannot upgrade after two years. However, the thread title seems to indicate otherwise.:rolleyes:

That's fine, I'm happy to wait. There's zero in 8.1 for desktop users --- its all just more tablet infestation of the desktop and herding people into MS's online pay-forever services.

Gotta say it. Hate W8, but damn ...

It is the best Win version to install. Take a naked box, or a notebook. Put Win7 on it, or Vista, or XP.

Reformat. Now put Win8 on it. Fk'g stunning. If you can't get WinX to run right, try 8 on it.

Windows is finally Plug-n-Play instead of Plug-n-Pray.

Isn't this pretty much what they've always done?

For example:
support for Windows 7 ended on April 9, 2013
Support for Windows 7 SP1 doesn't end until January 13, 2015 (with extended support until January 14, 2020)

Yup, this is normal.

Yes. Under-the-hood, Windows 8 is a fucking seriously GOOD version of Windows.
Unfortunately the UI is fucking dogshit. So I'm staying on a Windows version where I can actually get things done and multitask properly.

What pains me is we still can't change core operating system settings.. basic ones.. like enabling a user to customise his or her units of measure when it comes to binary/metric bits (MB/MiB etc). I mean ffs... i've wanted to change basic things like this since i first used Windows 95 with my first computer and i was a total n00b. So many things wrong with the stagnation of the UI over the years. Sure other things get added that is great. But we USE THE DAMN THING EVERY DAY to interface with everything else we do with/on the computer. Give us more UI updates** FFS!!

** Ones that actually make usability better and advance our ability to get information from and out of the O/S so we can do our $hit better (or at the very least with less frustrations). Not more painful for a lot of usage scenarios ala Ribbon.

I will do 8.1 eventually, nut I like 8 with a real start menu add-in, like from startisback, too much to want to deal with the fake-ish start menu of 8.1 though. Now, if there comes about a better replacement for the almost usless start button included in 8.1 anytime soon, I'll be there.

Standard MS policies are new news every time MS does the same thing they did before. Isn't it exciting to have Alzheimer's? You get to relive the same excitement every couple years.

Yes it is. Now excuse me while I go feed the chickens.

Where am I? Who the hell are you guys??????

To bring the map up, please hit Alt + F4. Good to see they are giving options on the os. It amazes me how many hate it but yet still come in here to post about it.

Where am I? Who the hell are you guys??????

I just made the switch from Win 7 to Win 8.1 Pro and it was a painless upgrade. BF4 runs much better and Win 8.1 detected all my hardware so I didn't have to waste time installing 3rd party drivers. Its also rock solid and very nimble--probably one of Microsoft's best OS under the hood to date. Shame about the UI, I still hate it but fortunately Start8 takes care of that.

That's fine, I'm happy to wait. There's zero in 8.1 for desktop users --- its all just more tablet infestation of the desktop and herding people into MS's online pay-forever services.

Really? thats strange because aside from my initial purchase of windows 8 i havent had to pay for jack shit? Let me guess, your either A) A disgruntled ex microsoft employee B) An apple user or C) A Moron who doesnt actually research stuff before posting bullshit like this

Really? thats strange because aside from my initial purchase of windows 8 i havent had to pay for jack shit? Let me guess, your either A) A disgruntled ex microsoft employee B) An apple user or C) A Moron who doesnt actually research stuff before posting bullshit like this

You better lie down and collect your thoughts. I guarantee I have spent more time researching and reading reviews than most people on what exactly 8.1 "adds" and weighing it against what 8.1 removes from Windows 8. And after careful deliberation decided that, since I have no use for Metro or Microsoft's online services, there was absolutely zero to be gained, and some to be lost, by installing 8.1.

To bring the map up, please hit Alt + F4. Good to see they are giving options on the os. It amazes me how many hate it but yet still come in here to post about it.

Lol, that didn't work! I just quit my solitaire.

It's free publicity, and generally the negative is more vocal than the positive.

Solitaire on surround monitors is the best. Agreed but it gets rather old when it just happens over and over. But some of the reasons are very funny. So at least I'm getting some good laughs off it.

P.S. good thing solitaire saves where you left off.

Lol, that didn't work! I just quit my solitaire.

It's free publicity, and generally the negative is more vocal than the positive.

Wow. That's the shortest support life span of any OS in MS's history. Even THEY know it's a POS !

Sadly, 8.1 didn't improve things much. The interface is still horrible.

Back