PS3 USB Headsets Won't Work with PS4 at Launch

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Just a heads up for those of you who preordered the PS4 or are planning to purchase one at launch to replace your PS3. Sony has made it known that the PlayStation Pulse headset will not work until a future patch is made available. There will be a way for a workaround, but it’s cumbersome and a little complicated.

Apparently it is the same situation with the XBOne. Not surprising since one of the main points of releasing a new console is to make everyone buy new overpriced accessories for it.

That's a let down. Hardware backwards compatibility must have been an afterthought at Sony; even for their own accessories.

Doesn't seem surprising though.

Buys $400 new console, bitches about having to buy new $20 headset.

- Console gamer.

I didn't read the article, but the title and summary specify the PS plus wired headset. I imagine the std bluetooth headsets still work.

So I read the article and it is worse than I though. BT headset will not work either. Stupid, but the article states the PS4 will come with a headset in the box. So there's that at least.

I have one of the PS3 headsets for my Wintel machine.
Pretty good quality. Not just the design and construction, but the sound is very good.

And yeah, they are $$.

AFAIK, they aren't bluetooth. 2.4ghz probably. Kind of like a mouse or keyboard, uses a large USB dongle.

Just checked. $80.

And worth it.

Good quality sound and decent range?

$150 headset for the consoles? LOL? gotta love the 8bit audio quality you get in MP games with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...on=bluetooth+wireless+headset&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Read article much?

The answer we received from Sony is complicated. If you have a Sony-branded headset, PULSE gaming headset, or the elite edition of that product, you will need to wait for a system update coming in the future. It seems that those will not work at all at launch.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083502&pf_rd_i=507846

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Good quality sound and decent range?

Sound is great. Range is good, probably 25'.

Problem: Some apps will lag their internet speed. Not sure why. 2.4ghz interference?

I'd buy a wired item. Got my son the Corsair, and he's really happy with it.

Excellent. Probably interference for those without 5GHz. The price certainly could be worth it.

If you spend 200$ for a headset for the PS3 you are full retard.

People on here spend thousands to get more FPS and detail that is un noticeable during actual gaming.

Who is full retard again?

People on here spend thousands to get more FPS and detail that is un noticeable during actual gaming.

Who is full retard again?

Feel free to link to any post anyone has made on this board where they spent thousands for more FPS or detail that was UN-noticeable, I wont hold my breath...

One could argue that those people are making relatively small investments in a comparatively costly platform. $200 on a headset for a $300 console is an odd thing, as that's a costly attachment to a low-cost platform. It's roughly on the same level as spending $200 on a joystick for a $300 PC.

I don't know if it's retarded, but I do know that it would be difficult to rationalize that.

Yeah I did. The point was; If you spend 200$ for a headset for the PS3 you are full retard. Unless I guess you are a console gamer. And if so I guess good luck with that.

Don't be an idiot. People buy thousand dollar headsets all the time. The playstation pulse elite is a fantastic device. I got one for $100 and its on par my wireless sennheisers that cost nearly $500. Sound is great and features are solid. Hate on consoles all you want, I use it for games and for watching TV and movies on my big screen without waking my wife and kids.
Considering it works with my ps3, my TV, my PC and my phone... And works really well, I don't see how you consider owning one as going full retard, unless your just remarkably ignorant.

For audiophile headphones (obviously not headset), $200 is barely breaking into entry level.

One could argue that those people are making relatively small investments in a comparatively costly platform. $200 on a headset for a $300 console is an odd thing, as that's a costly attachment to a low-cost platform. It's roughly on the same level as spending $200 on a joystick for a $300 PC.

I don't know if it's retarded, but I do know that it would be difficult to rationalize that.
It's really not difficult at all. If I play a lot of joystick-based games on a PC, buying a very good one makes sense, just as much sense as it would make to buy a high-end monitor, high-end speakers, headphones/headset, etc.

The same applies to a console. If I play a lot of fighting games, buying a $200 controller for that purpose would make sense, and if I want good sound a high-end receiver or headphone setup would make sense.

Judging the value of peripherals based on some undefined percentage of a game console's cost would be stupid and short-sighted (I'll skip repeating the very offensive term).

It's really not difficult at all. If I play a lot of joystick-based games on a PC, buying a very good one makes sense
Considering you're much more likely to get a greater return on the quality of the experience by investing a portion of that money on some other components, no, it's difficult to rationalize. Only in the very exceptional case would I argue that a $200 joystick investment atop a $300 PC investment is the Right Thing for someone. A $150 video card paired with a $50 joystick would generally seem the more sensible choice, for example: the pairing will probably yield a much greater benefit for the user versus a high-end joystick alone.

The almost ubiquitous phenomenon of 'diminishing gains' plays a considerable role here.

Bah! Headsets are nothing.

Look at all the idiots who put a $5000 stereo system in a $2000 POS. Or $8000 worth of wheels on a 1985 Buick.

My reference was to the $80 model of the PS3 headset, not the $140 model.

Considering you're much more likely to get a greater return on the quality of the experience by investing a portion of that money on some other components, no, it's difficult to rationalize. Only in the very exceptional case would I argue that a $200 joystick investment atop a $300 PC investment is the Right Thing for someone. A $150 video card paired with a $50 joystick would generally seem the more sensible choice, for example: the pairing will probably yield a much greater benefit for the user versus a high-end joystick alone.

The almost ubiquitous phenomenon of 'diminishing gains' plays a considerable role here.
And you're entirely wrong. If the $50 joystick doesn't perform as well as the $150 joystick, the overall experience is diminished even if the $300 PC is perfectly capable of handling the software being run.

You're making a fundamental mistake many make by attempting to quantify entertainment value based on objective factors, and you're not even doing it very well.

For example, I find movie theater prices to be too high for the entertainment I would get in return. That does not mean that those prices are too high since, obviously, lots of people still pay them and many do so regularly. It simply means that subjectively I judge the prices to be too high for me.

Would I buy a $150 joystick to use with a $300 PC or console? Nope; I don't regularly play games that would encourage such an expenditure, so subjectively that price would be too high for me to pay. Would I buy $200 headphones to use with a $300 console? I in fact did, and they enhance my experience considerably. Gaming hardware (both PC and console) is there to provide interactive audio/video to the player. Enhancing that interactive audio/video is an absolutely valid way to spend money, and some of the high-quality enhancements can be expensive - true in every hobby.

Back