The 10 Breakthrough Products of 2013

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The year is rapidly approaching its end and now we can look back over 2013 and see what exactly has tickled our fancy in the way of new breakout products. The range covers super high tech like the BMW i3, all the way down to a can of Rust-Oleum. :cool:

XBox One. LOL.

Take out all bias, and it's pretty cool. Kinect that can sense your heartbeat? That's pretty sensitive for a camera. Sure, it's just another console, and when it comes down to the games, it's just ho-hum compared to competition. But, the Kinect seems to be the focus point. The new one is a pretty great piece of technology.

Take out all bias, and it's pretty cool. Kinect that can sense your heartbeat? That's pretty sensitive for a camera. Sure, it's just another console, and when it comes down to the games, it's just ho-hum compared to competition. But, the Kinect seems to be the focus point. The new one is a pretty great piece of technology.

It's not a matter of bias. It was horrible presentation. Always-on Kinect, requirement to be online for any and all games, and inability to play used games? That they've come around on those points is a good thing, but in no way should it be considered a "breakthrough". The Kinect already existed with the 360 and its impressive technology was discovered through people messing with it in unintended ways.

i'd like to know who's running a mile in 4 minutes... LOL

unless you are some Olympic runner... why the hell would they have that pace on there?

Yeah that 3d scanner is pretty nifty, combine that with the 3d printer and you got piracy going to a whole new level. Scan the product print your own :D

Yes motherfucker I would download a car :D

Lol, I can imagine going to a dealership and printing your car right before your very eyes now.

Lol, I can imagine going to a dealership and printing your car right before your very eyes now.

Or there is a base model and you add features and color of car and it's all done in the back and delivered in a few minutes.

It's not a matter of bias. It was horrible presentation. Always-on Kinect, requirement to be online for any and all games, and inability to play used games? That they've come around on those points is a good thing, but in no way should it be considered a "breakthrough". The Kinect already existed with the 360 and its impressive technology was discovered through people messing with it in unintended ways.

Horrible presentation? I'll agree there. But, the nuclear bomb was a pretty shitty presentation on the public, too, but definitely a huge breakthrough. Requirement to be online, inability to play used games, etc. are logistics that are easily changed (and they were). That doesn't change the base hardware. It's pretty cool. It's more than just a gaming console (whether you use or even like those features or not). PS4 vs. Xbox? As a gaming machine? PS4. As a whole package entertainment deal? Xbone. I still like the PS4 better, but the Xbox One is a damn good device (I didn't agree with those things you listed above either. I was pretty pissed about it, too).

I didn't see previous years, but I wonder if Roku/AppleTV style devices were listed? Those are pretty damn slick and would be considered breakthrough. We had HTPC's, and they come out with a hockey puck sized device that does a lot of the same things (I still can do more with my HTPC, but it's getting less and less use).

And therein lies the problem. Its a gimmick sensor with no launch games.

Horrible presentation? I'll agree there. But, the nuclear bomb was a pretty shitty presentation on the public, too, but definitely a huge breakthrough. Requirement to be online, inability to play used games, etc. are logistics that are easily changed (and they were). That doesn't change the base hardware. It's pretty cool. It's more than just a gaming console (whether you use or even like those features or not). PS4 vs. Xbox? As a gaming machine? PS4. As a whole package entertainment deal? Xbone. I still like the PS4 better, but the Xbox One is a damn good device (I didn't agree with those things you listed above either. I was pretty pissed about it, too).

I didn't see previous years, but I wonder if Roku/AppleTV style devices were listed? Those are pretty damn slick and would be considered breakthrough. We had HTPC's, and they come out with a hockey puck sized device that does a lot of the same things (I still can do more with my HTPC, but it's getting less and less use).

To me, it is pretty simple. The XBox One is trying to be the PS3(more of a home media system than a games console, more suited for increasing access to various kinds of entertainment content), while the PS4 is trying to be the XBox 360 as originally designed(pure games console). I had all three machines from last-gen and found each of them to have their values and uses. The PS3 was the easy way to stream all the totally-legal content from my video server, as well as Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube. The 360 was the go-to machine for the best and most colorful games library with straightforward and reliable multiplayer infrastructure. I see very little innovation in this next generation - just companies switching strategies while Nintendo flounders in its inability to find a foothold.

The watch says 21m32s 6.95 miles 4:10 pace ... maybe on a bicycle! And 21.54/6.95 is a 3:06 pace ...

To me, it is pretty simple. The XBox One is trying to be the PS3(more of a home media system than a games console, more suited for increasing access to various kinds of entertainment content), while the PS4 is trying to be the XBox 360 as originally designed(pure games console). I had all three machines from last-gen and found each of them to have their values and uses. The PS3 was the easy way to stream all the totally-legal content from my video server, as well as Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube. The 360 was the go-to machine for the best and most colorful games library with straightforward and reliable multiplayer infrastructure. I see very little innovation in this next generation - just companies switching strategies while Nintendo flounders in its inability to find a foothold.

Ok. From that viewpoint, you win. :) I see the same comparison.

Back