High Tech Piano Helps You Play Using A Projector

HardOCP News

[H] News
How long before Activision picks this up and calls it "Piano Hero!" The difference here is that you are playing an actual instrument, not mashing colored buttons on a guitar shaped plastic controller. :cool:

For those who can't read music, it could very well help them learn a few pieces that are a bit more difficult than what they're used to learning. A simpler song the likes of a Bach 2-part invention could certainly be learned this way.

Otherwise, to truly learn a significantly difficult piece of music is going to be too difficult for this method to accomplish. I noticed that on the video, the scrolling "piano hero" screen only makes them play one note at a time. I'm guessing that doing two notes at a time for one hand would also be feasible for the uninitiated, but what about having to play three to five notes at a time? How about spanning the entire 88 keys? That would probably be too wide of a field of vision for even the best screen follower.

Once you add in the other hand, it becomes exponentially more difficult, and the scrolling screen method isn't going to account for subtle differences in loudness, tempo, and such.

I don't dispute that there are actually some types of these games that can teach you how to be quite good at *certain* instruments. For example, if you can play the drums on Rock Band / Band Hero at the highest level of difficulty, using the most difficult songs, and five star every one of those songs, then you can probably learn a few new things and enter the full fledged world of drumming.

I also don't dispute that this method can be helpful for those who have no idea when it comes to not being able to read music. However, someone who truly wants to become a good piano player needs to learn how to read music, understand the fundamentals, build up a strong core, and expand from there, not trying to learn from the outside-in method.

First off, Casio already makes keyboards that light up and I'll wager it is significantly cheaper.

Second, there is more to playing a piano than simply hitting the right notes. Technique is everything; things like how hard to hit the note (proper dynamics), when to and how much to depress the pedals (particularly sustain) and when to release them, how to do a proper tempo rubato etc.

This thing may teach you the notes, but without proper technique, your piano playing will sound like a computer playing a MIDI file.

Or you could just get Synthesia, which has been available since 2006, and is totally free. Add a projector and a midi keyboard (Both of which are supported, BTW) and you're done.

I'm waiting for my upgrade to Rocksmith 2014.

Bandfuse looks really good too.
http://bandfuse.com/.
A unique interface using animated tablature simplifies music for beginners, showing them where to place their fingers and when to strum the strings.
Too bad it's not on PC (yet?). If it gets a PC release I'm definitely getting it.

Why be a pretender (Guitar Hero) when you can actually learn while you play (Rocksmith/Bandfuse)?

Back