Half-Life 3 Being Actively Developed?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know why we get our hopes up every time news like this comes out. Oh well, I guess it doesn't hurt anything to get excited every time we hear Half Life 3 rumors. ;)

It’s the second indication in as many days that suggests Valve has decided to focus on Gordon’s journey, following the discovery of a trademark registration. The list has a core of ten developers (called “Half-Life 3 Core, that has Minerva modder Adam Foster, Counter-Strike’s Jesse Cliffe and others, as well as a further 46 in the “Half-Life 3″ group.

Half Life 1 really was awesome. I didn't play it for a while after it came out (6 months?), but when I did, I loved every second of it. Just an awesome, well designed, well planned out game. Just excellent. Half Life 2 brought me similar enjoyment. Graphics were top notch on both, as was the sound and most importantly - the game play. I can still pick up HL or HL2 and have a great time and play all the way through the game.

The bar has been set very high. Half Life 3 has a lot of expectations and I'm hoping they can do an excellent job.

The Half-Life series are the only games that I have ever played more than once. I really enjoy them. I hope this news is true.

So help me god if they make this a steambox console exclusive.... ;)

It has been in development, in one form or another, for a while now. A 56 man team is news, though.

Half Life 2 was ok, but to me FarCry came out a few month before it was better and maybe took some steam out of HL2. DOOM3 was pretty good as well same year.

There is NO way that this could ever live up to the hype.
It's going to be another Diablo 3 or DNF.

If the make it or not I don't care I stopped getting exited for games, movies and media a long time ago..

Half Life 2 was ok, but to me FarCry came out a few month before it was better and maybe took some steam out of HL2. DOOM3 was pretty good as well same year.

Far Cry blew me away. I still enjoy playing that game. Doom 3 really didn't impress me at all.

Far Cry was great, and HL2 was excellent. Man, I really need to play some more games. I haven't had time lately. But, all this talk makes me want to take a day off and play some games!

Since hl2 was a ati at teh time exclusive to teh 9600 and 9800 ati cards you tinks it will be a r9 290 exclusive ? :D

What worries me more than anything about this game's release is Valve's current philosophy that every game needs to be a social/multi-player experience with a thriving microtransaction economy. If this game ever comes out, I'm terribly nervous that they'll turn it into a co-op only hat fashion show.

What worries me more than anything about this game's release is Valve's current philosophy that every game needs to be a social/multi-player experience with a thriving microtransaction economy. If this game ever comes out, I'm terribly nervous that they'll turn it into a co-op only hat fashion show.

Where did you come up with this viewpoint?

So help me god if they make this a steambox console exclusive.... ;)

I believe anything that runs on OpenGL should have no problem running on Windows. With SteamOS being a customized Linux OS, I doubt it will be exclusive to that particular OS.

SteamOS is free though, if it ever come to that.

There is NO way that this could ever live up to the hype.
It's going to be another Diablo 3 or DNF.

Hold on. DNF was a 10 year masturbation, Diablo 3 was destroyed by greed, flat out. Jay Wilson is a terrible game designer and he should feel bad what he did to a glorious franchise. I have never seen these qualities in Valve.

Since hl2 was a ati at teh time exclusive to teh 9600 and 9800 ati cards you tinks it will be a r9 290 exclusive ? :D

HL2 was never exclusive to ATI cards so I'm not sure what you're babbling on about.

My statement had a bit of hyperbole in it.... But, the idea came from this hubbub a few years ago.

But, with a little more research after spouting my mouth off, I find this where they clarify a bit. Does single-player-plus mean lots of achievements? Easy gameplay streaming? The best hats ever devised by the mind of man?

It's actively being developed, one cheeseburger at a time. A good barometer is trends in McDonald's sales.

With SteamOS announced and Half-Life 3 trademarked and being developed, what are the chances it's using Source 2 and that Source 2 is now entirely OpenGL?

i remember hearing that it played better on ATI cards,but never an exclusive.
The crux of the issue (back when HL2 was released)...

ATI cards:
- supported FP24 precision ONLY.
- Could not run FP16 for more performance.
- Could not run FP 32 for higher quality.

Nvidia cards:
- Supported both FP 16 and FP 32 precision.
- Supported hints (shaders that did not need full-accuracy could be run in the faster FP16 mode).
- Had to run FP24 shaders in the (slower) FP32 mode.

Half Life 2:
- Uses FP 24 precision for all shaders.
- Valve neglected to use hints on ANY shaders, preventing Nvidia cards from using FP16 mode on shaders where the additional precision was not required.
- ATI cards could run all shaders in the faster FP24 mode, while Nvidia cards were forced into full-precision.

DirectX9 spec:
- FP24 is the lowest precision mode officially supported by DirectX9.
- Hints shouldn't be required if everything is FP24 because there spec doesn't define anything lower than FP24.

So yeah, valve could have used hints and given Nvidia cards a boost, but they can also cite the DX9 spec and say they were simply going by the book...

Unless there is code and a pre-order posted it is nothing more than rumor.

TF2 - Micro-transactions
DotA2 - Micro-transactions
CS:GO - Micro-transactions
Portal2 - Micro-transactions <--- Note this one especially.

Portal 2 is in the HL universe and now features idiotic hats for your robot players. So now along with the combine, vortigaunts, hunters, Xen, striders, headcrabs, zombies, and the g-man, we have dumb hats and high fives.

Aside from that, though, we all know that Valve is working on Source 2, Halflife 3 and L4D3. This isn't really news more than just a small confirmation of what we already know.

Honestly though, keep micro-transactions out of Halflife. It will immediately lose points and enjoyability if I'm taken out of the immersive game world to buy crap with real-world money.

QFT

I LOVE the HL series for the STORY as well as the gameplay but Farcry took the open environment to a new level and really made HL 2 feel forced when there was only 1 way to proceed.

Far Cry blew me away. I still enjoy playing that game. Doom 3 really didn't impress me at all.

Far Cry was great, and HL2 was excellent. Man, I really need to play some more games. I haven't had time lately. But, all this talk makes me want to take a day off and play some games!

do urself a favour and play Metro 2033 if you haven't.

TF2 - Micro-transactions
DotA2 - Micro-transactions
CS:GO - Micro-transactions
Portal2 - Micro-transactions <--- Note this one especially.

Portal 2 is in the HL universe and now features idiotic hats for your robot players. So now along with the combine, vortigaunts, hunters, Xen, striders, headcrabs, zombies, and the g-man, we have dumb hats and high fives.

Aside from that, though, we all know that Valve is working on Source 2, Halflife 3 and L4D3. This isn't really news more than just a small confirmation of what we already know.

Honestly though, keep micro-transactions out of Halflife. It will immediately lose points and enjoyability if I'm taken out of the immersive game world to buy crap with real-world money.

If you don't want to buy useless microtransactions that break your immersion by taking you out of the game, why wouldn't you just not take yourself out of the game to purchase microtransactions?

That makes no sense at all. You can play ALL Valve games without ever buying a single microtransaction, and your experience will not be negatively impacted in the least

I agree that I don't really see a place for microtransaction in HL3, but nobody is forcing you to do anything.

Half Life 2 launched Steam, I can see HL3 being a SteamboxOS exclusive for the same reason.

You can play ALL Valve games without ever buying a single microtransaction, and your experience will not be negatively impacted in the least.

Team Fortress 2, when it was launched, was a thing of beauty. Game play was a simple goal with 9 classes, 3 weapons each, an awesome retro visual style, and a lot of strategy to go along with the gun play. It has been utterly destroyed by the hat culture and all the stupid alternate weapons, and you have no choice in it. You can't play a "pure" old-fashioned game unless you hunt down a very few servers with mods, or play against the bots. My experience has been negatively impacted because it's no longer the game I want to play anymore - no microtransactions required on my part.

I loved Episode 1 and Episode 2 of HL2, more than I liked the original game. I'm really hoping that Valve's greedy side doesn't destroy HL3.

If Valve ever does put out HL3, it will be like portal or have elements of Portal in it and will be too short. You heard it here first.

Back