Netflix Most Popular Online TV Service

HardOCP News

[H] News
With the exception of cable TV, Netflix seems to be kicking everyone's ass in popularity lately.

When it came to assessing the popularity of online sites hosting TV content, Netflix took top honors. More than six in 10 respondents said they relied on Netflix to watch shows. In comparison, just under half visited TV network sites, while just over one-third used Hulu, and almost three in 10 subscribed to Amazon Prime.

I wonder why Hulu is so low. I find them to have much better content and much easier to use than Netflix. Hulu is the only site I've found to give me a queue that is automatically updated when a new episode comes out, and they have so many shows as soon as they come out or after only a short delay. I rarely watch anything from Netflix anymore, since they almost never have anything really new.

I would have to say that I use Prime just as much as Netflix. I have found that the sound quality is better through Prime. HBOGO would be higher on the list if you did not have to subscribe to HBO through a service provider (ie Directv, Time Warner, etc).
As for Hulu, I tried them for a month. I did not continue because they do not always have complete seasons. I was going to try and get into Castle, but they had all the seasons except for the first one. Unless that has changed, that is useless to me.

I could see why Netflix is on top. I tried prime, hulu , etc... none of them have the Polish Netflix has so far + with their own shows in production it's looking good for them.

Network TV is now completely irrelevant, at least for me now.

I think in 10 years, those stats will include cable TV, and it will be low on that list.

Netflix has polish and a great library. Hulu has a lot of great shows, but once you watch them all, you're just maintaining what you want to watch (which, ATM for me is nothing). Amazon Prime is great, but I hate going through and finding a movie and it's not in the Prime library for free streaming, but costs $5. I'm not the one that buys digital movies yet....

Netflix hands down for the quality of the experience. Prime has sucked lately, a lot of buffering errors. It sometimes takes 50 minutes to watch a 30 minute program and when it has problems it does not remember where it left off so you have to fast forward and guess where to stop.
It's a shame as I have had prime for several years now for the free shipping, the video was topping on the cake.

IHBOGO would be higher on the list if you did not have to subscribe to HBO through a service provider (ie Directv, Time Warner, etc).

HBO is throwing away a fortune not offering streaming services openly.

I like Prime for TV, but it sucks for movies, since you can't watch HD versions on your PC.

I really hope online streaming service put a hurting on cable providers.
I'm sick of getting screwed by Comcast. Twice I chose a minimal cable package that suited our needs. And twice they eliminated the package and tried to force us into a high cost package with a lot of content we did not want. :mad:

we just cut the cable the other night after being notified that our package was eliminated and the new comparable one went from $150 a month to $210 a month..

now.. its purely the internet connection

I think Amazon Prime would give them a real run for their money if they would get their damned client on Android and other devices.

And improve the POS that does exist. The only good one is on the Kindle. Which is based on Android. Which begs the question, WTF isn't it released for Android.

we just cut the cable the other night after being notified that our package was eliminated and the new comparable one went from $150 a month to $210 a month..

Welcome aboard! Been cable free for almost 2 years now!

Now you can save that money for hardware upgrades. :cool:

No kidding. I'd sign up in a heartbeat for another $10 per month, maybe even a little more. I was only paying $10 per month to add HBO to my cable, back when I had cable. They have some great shows, and I miss them.

However, their site leave much to be desired. It's so overloaded with Flash garbage that it is extremely laggy in response and overall performance. It also had some serious disconnection problems during peak hours. I hope they change this before they offer general online access so they'd have a decent site to work with.

I wonder why Hulu is so low. I find them to have much better content and much easier to use than Netflix. Hulu is the only site I've found to give me a queue that is automatically updated when a new episode comes out, and they have so many shows as soon as they come out or after only a short delay. I rarely watch anything from Netflix anymore, since they almost never have anything really new.

Subscription service that forces you to watch ads anyhow. It isn't tough to figure out.

No they aren't... They get a ton of money from the Cable/Sat companies... If they did offer a streaming only service, they would get far less from their current customers.

HBO isn't dumb, they have done the math and right now the math says to hold the line.

Yeah, that is my next move.

I called Comcast 3 times trying to find a package that worked for us. 3 times the person on the other end told me something different. Screw it.
I have to go down to the comcast office and get this done.
I would cut out everything if I didn't have to have high speed internet for work. There is nothing else available in this area except crappy DSL.

No they aren't... They get a ton of money from the Cable/Sat companies... If they did offer a streaming only service, they would get far less from their current customers.

HBO isn't dumb, they have done the math and right now the math says to hold the line.

People are dropping their cable and satellite subscriptions by the truckload. It's only a matter of time.

Their analysts have done some math, but it may be suspect. If everyone else and their mother says putting their shows on online subscription platforms makes them tons more money, you would think the only holdout left was wrong.

People are dropping their cable and satellite subscriptions by the truckload. It's only a matter of time.

And those that are late to the party usually don't fare too well. They can only ride the old ways so long before you either change or die. Blackberry is a prime example of this.

I dropped satellite a while back. Nothing I watch justifies the cost of the whole package. I get what I want from OTA and Internet. If I could stream HBO, I would buy it. Lots of great content. I just couldn't justify the cost of the cable + HBO.

I wonder how the online streaming service by Comcast is doing?

I've browsed it a couple of times and it actually has a very large selection.

I really hope online streaming service put a hurting on cable providers.
I'm sick of getting screwed by Comcast. Twice I chose a minimal cable package that suited our needs. And twice they eliminated the package and tried to force us into a high cost package with a lot of content we did not want. :mad:

I recently called and told them:
"I want to drop down my internet connection tio the lowest tier, at half the price. I don't care if it's slower."

Comcast: "Those are only availible to NEW customers :p"

I am so looking for a new connection.

I wonder how the online streaming service by Comcast is doing?

I've browsed it a couple of times and it actually has a very large selection.

It used to be much better. Now they've put a ton of content behind paywalls. Even standard cable sitcoms. It's basically Hulu repackaged in a nice package, but with less content.

Welcome aboard! Been cable free for almost 2 years now!

Now you can save that money for hardware upgrades. :cool:

I am 34 and am glad to say that I have never subscribed to any cable or satellite TV service. A huge waste of money.

And even with just the cable internet connection you do still get a few channels if you really must watch TV.

Welcome to the club :-D

I recently called and told them:
"I want to drop down my internet connection tio the lowest tier, at half the price. I don't care if it's slower."

Comcast: "Those are only availible to NEW customers :p"

I am so looking for a new connection.

Call them back and tell them you will drop their service unless they give you a better price on your current speed.

Instead of battling each other, I think the major cable companies should work with Netflix to include it in their cable boxes/service. Then, Netflix content wouldn't count against your total bandwidth allotment, more and more people would subscribe to cable because it's included and cable companies would actually have a streaming service that was worth something...

Netflix is working wonders for television...showing everyone how it is done, and getting the stupid out of popular TV today (reality bunk, etc.) House of Cards, Hemlock Grove, and putting up great shows like Sons of Anarchy, Lost, Fringe, and many more in formats where you can gorge yourself on back-to-back shows sans commercials--brilliant! In the days before cable television, the promise the cable guys kept making was that with "pay TV" we would consign commercials to the the past. Hah! Never happened, did it? Except on Netflix, every day of the week, that is. Took long enough.

Instead of battling each other, I think the major cable companies should work with Netflix to include it in their cable boxes/service. Then, Netflix content wouldn't count against your total bandwidth allotment, more and more people would subscribe to cable because it's included and cable companies would actually have a streaming service that was worth something...

http://business.time.com/2013/10/01/netflix-is-coming-after-your-cable-box/ ... ask and ye shall receive :)

No cable here. My breakdown of the streaming services I've used in the past year:

Netflix: Tops. Yes, the selection can be slow to grow at times but the overall experience is nearly perfect and very reasonably priced. Besides, there are shows enjoy on repeated viewings when there's a new-content drought.

Hulu Plus: Great for currently running shows if they're available. I was close to dropping it when they lost 30 Rock but I decided punishing Hulu (and myself) for Comcast/NBC/Universal's assholishness wasn't useful. The commercials can be annoying but the service is so much cheaper than cable/satellite and the commercials are far fewer (thus also better than OTA), so I've decided the interruptions are tolerable.

Amazon Prime: Absolute worst of the bunch. When I started my Prime membership (again) last October, everything was fine. For the past several months, the buffering issues became so awful that I turned off the automatic renewal. Given that Netflix uses Amazon's own goddamned cloud services, it's beyond stupid that Amazon can't stream reliably. It also annoyed me that they wouldn't release a general Android client, but even if they had I still would have canceled based on the lousy performance.

HBOGo: Yeah, I occasionally use a certain relative's access since she doesn't use it much herself. Their service and apps are solid, and if I was given the opportunity to drop $10-15/month for it, I'd do so in a heartbeat.

Back