Intel Xeon L5639 Hexa(6) Core LGA1366 Price:US $79.80 Used Ebay Seller

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-...US_Server_CPUs_Processors&hash=item43bf9b373e
Seems like a smoking hot deal to me if your looking to install a hexa core cpu into an old x58 motherboard. Orderd one myself, so i can update that it is indeed compatible and how well it overclocks and functions. My current 920 is and has been a great cpu, but 2 more cores will be nice to have especially when BF4 starts. From what I can tell there oem cpus pulled from dell servers, and as such not even listed on intels web site or something you could buy off newegg or amazon.They only come with 30 day warranty....but that's fine for me for the price...I predict these will sell out soon...GONE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-XEON-...d=100011&prg=1005&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=290977429310&
courtesy of Reefa_Madness for posting after first ebay seller sold out....only thing different is its coming from HongKong... GONE

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221289601533
Item location Hong Kong US $76.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-XEON-...366-/151125323916?pt=CPUs&hash=item232fc5708c
posted by Robstar not from HongKong but a little more expensive at $85

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-XEON-...ocessors&hash=item4613d56913&autorefresh=true
posted by CrimsonKnight13 Manufacturer refurbished Price:US $87.99 Item location Bolingbrook, Illinois

Anyone getting ready to order one, avoide buying from ebay seller milestone_hk because two people so far have revieved damaged chips after waiting 10 days to get them

The one I purchased achieved this 100% stable:
ie6m.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Dual processor capable, can be used for a cheap 12-core SR-2 system. Only downside is the low multiplier. It'll easily hit 3.6-4 ghz, but become BCLK limited after that.

Brother if it hits that for me stable and cool.....I'll be very satisfied :)

I've been seeing a lot of used LGA 1366 CPUs for cheap on eBay recently. Xeon W3520 (aka i7-920) have been as low as $35 shipped. If you can acquire a board cheap, shit, this would be a nice side-grade from whatever you're coming from.

for what its worth...this is a screenshot from an old post in these forums regarding the cpu in question. might answer some question that would come to mind.

ee.jpg

I wonder how much advantage well get from just the Manufacturing tech size reduction from 45 to 32nm...possibly a small drop in power usage per core?

Last edited:
Hmmm would be tempting for my wife's rig just to play with the 6-core, although I don't think EVGA ever updated their microcode to accept Xeons for their X58 Classified.

Ran two of these in my SR2 for ages , rock solid at 3.33 Ghz on it, chips only needed 1.05v for that (195 bclk), I think they would go farther on a 1p setup, low multi, but seemed to clock very well

I ordered one. If it works out well, I can sell my 920 for a similar price and come close to even. The cpu paste I have is like 3-4 years old, still good?

Dual processor capable, can be used for a cheap 12-core SR-2 system. Only downside is the low multiplier. It'll easily hit 3.6-4 ghz, but become BCLK limited after that.

how?? you'd have to double the bus almost.

I ordered one. If it works out well, I can sell my 920 for a similar price and come close to even. The cpu paste I have is like 3-4 years old, still good?

if its still in the tube...I imagine it is....gonna use the same here

Hmmm would be tempting for my wife's rig just to play with the 6-core, although I don't think EVGA ever updated their microcode to accept Xeons for their X58 Classified.

I don't think many, if any of the board makers list Xeons as being compatible or on their list of approved cpus...personally at this price..its worth the gamble to me as usually they do work

Last edited:
I think think many, if any of the board makers list Xeons as being compatible or on their list of approved cpus...personally at this price..its worth the gamble to me as usually they do work

Just did some more research and it does look like EVGA did update the microcode in their BIOS to support most of the LGA1366 Xeons, but did not list this model explicitly. EVGA took a VERY long time to support any Xeons, it was speculated they didn't want to anger Intel or compete with their own SR-2 model, but most likely, they just had issues with their BIOS writing.

Looks like a good deal though, thanks for posting, will consider grabbing one for the E760.

how?? you'd have to double the bus almost.

With turbo. The turbo multiplier is 20, so in lightly threaded loads you'll get to 4 ghz with a 200 BCLK. Some motherboards are also capable of locking processors into the higher turbo, although I don't know if there are any that would do it with this processor.

Also, some motherboards are capable of reaching 220+ BCLK.

Hmm, very tempting. I could prolly sell my 920 D0 off for about the same price, right? That's the only way I could justify getting it to the wife, lol.

why does Intel's site report this as a quad core?

Xeon L5639

http://ark.intel.com/products/47927

like i said in the first post...you wont find this particular cpu listed on the intel website...it's a very rare oem put out just for certain dell servers..and truth be told once these are gone its back to shopping at 350 each....if you can find one used...a new one would be at least 500ish new...I been shopping for a hexa core quite a while.......this price is HOT!

I told my brother better get one now before there gone lol 22 sold and 9 left as of this post

Good price, but go on the expectation that these are server pulls and have been extensively used.

I have a pair of these in a Dell R610, great low power hex CPU

I have one FS $200, PM me.

I just paid $80 for one (pretty sure I got the last one). :)

xlIMCSm.jpg

So no thanks. My sad face was because I could only get one since people bought the rest so fast....lol. I wanted two for $80 each but didn't see this thread quick enough.

-------
Now I'm just hoping this works in the motherboard I have yet to find for it. Will test it in my brothers system though upon arrival as he has a X58 P6X58D motherboard with the last BIOS made for that board. When it works in that I'll be happy.

Edit: Anyone know of a deal on a socket 1366 motherboard? What were the best boards of that generation?
Thanks

Last edited:
thanks! in for one, whats the best overclocking board for this chip?

The reason these are really cheap right now is because was a mountain of old Dell servers with these chips in them that went off-lease and were sold off to resellers and they're all trying to dump them at the same time. I've watched them drop in price from about $150/chip only a month or two ago and wouldn't be surprised if they dropped even lower. The same thing happened to the L5520 last year and they're in the $30 range now. =)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Too bad sr-2 is massively expensive everywhere. Is there any other 1366 boards u can oc with?

The reason these are really cheap right now is because was a mountain of old Dell servers with these chips in them that went off-lease and were sold off to resellers and they're all trying to dump them at the same time. I've watched them drop in price from about $150/chip only a month or two ago and wouldn't be surprised if they dropped even lower. The same thing happened to the L5520 last year and they're in the $30 range now. =)

The L5630s are getting very inexpensive as well, next year this time we might even be seeing inexpensive LGA 2011 E5 pulls.

Too bad sr-2 is massively expensive everywhere. Is there any other 1366 boards u can oc with?

Pretty much all of the X58 Mobo's I've seen can OC. I have an Asus P6T Deluxe and it has kept my 920 (on air) at 3.9 GHz for the past 3 years or so without an issue.

Pretty much all of the X58 Mobo's I've seen can OC. I have an Asus P6T Deluxe and it has kept my 920 (on air) at 3.9 GHz for the past 3 years or so without an issue.

I mean dual socket server motherboards like the sr-2. This is in relation to the Xeon chips discussed in this thread.

I mean dual socket server motherboards like the sr-2. This is in relation to the Xeon chips discussed in this thread.

Ahh, you just said "1366 boards" so I didn't catch that. In that case; no, I'm pretty sure the SR-2 was the only dual-socket 1366 mobo that can OC, which is why it's still pretty rare and expensive even though the chipset is old now.

Back